Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 11:27 AM

321 posts, read 877,704 times

Advertisements

I know there are some older threads out there for this, but was hoping to get some new recommendations. Debating whether to refinish the hardwoods in my kitchen, dining and hallway, or to rip it up and install laminate. We have two big dogs and cats and have found in our previous home that laminate holds up ALOT better than hardwoods. Plus, I've heard refinishing is a messy, expensive job. Opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 02:17 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,044,418 times
I have the same conundrum.

I think most people would say, "REFINISH!"

But they don't have dogs.

If you decide on laminate, you should definitely use the "floating" laminate floor so that future owners could easily dismantle it if they wanted the hardwoods back.

At a certain pricepoint, I would not install laminate over hardwood for any reason. It would decrease the value of the house. If it's a "starter" home, I think you should install laminate and do whatever you want to do to make YOU happy.

Old 12-16-2009, 04:37 PM

441 posts, read 1,287,805 times
I have the same dilemma, 2 dogs. I was looking into Mr. Sandless, anyone used them ?

Old 12-16-2009, 06:55 PM

1,277 posts, read 3,535,723 times
Matt Fisher
Fisher Hardwood Flooring INC
Fisher Hardwood Flooring : Raleigh North Carolina

I'm a fan of hardwoods myself. they are real.

you can get different finishes - some more durable than others. Give matt a call for a quote.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:14 PM

8,158 posts, read 10,867,133 times
It would almost be a shame to take up real wood floors and replace them with laminates.

Phil's Hardwood Floors did a beautiful job for us 12 years ago, and they are still wearing very nice. I understand Sadaris Hardwood Floor Co. does nice work too.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:09 PM

2,904 posts, read 5,901,745 times
Someone recommended these folks to us a few years ago:

Custom Designs, Installations, Exotic Woods, BD's Hardwood Floors, Inc., Raleigh, NC (http://www.bdshardwoodfloorsinc.com/ - broken link)

We had them come out and remove carpet from my office and replace it with beautiful cherry hardwood and a nice inlay, installed a very nice matching cherry a/c register, and refinished part of the 6-year old (at the time) Bruce pre-finished hardwoods that the builder had put in. The refinished Bruce sections look a LOT nicer than the areas in our house that still look "like new" if that tells you anything! Pics:

Old 12-18-2009, 06:32 PM

36 posts, read 105,970 times
Those floors are absolutely lovely. Love the choice of the border and what a rich color!

I'm also looking for someone to take on an entire 2000 sf of refinishing of oak floors in a mid-century modern house. I've heard the Mr. Sandless stuff just isn't as good as the real thing...

Any recommendations near Chapel Hill?

Old 12-19-2009, 09:57 AM
WDJ

286 posts, read 786,755 times
We went with JD Hardwood Flooring to do our oak hardwood finishing out in Chapel Hill. The guys who did the sanding and finishing did a pretty awesome job and are careful with their work. JD is based in Morrisville, but I think that these guys they subbed out the work to were from Chapel Hill or SW Durham.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:41 AM

1 posts, read 3,761 times
Great Pics,

However from looking at the pictures I can tell you did not get a great sand and finish. Contractors like to use satin/flat finishes because they really do a good job of masking poor sanding techniques, such as the end of board rolls as seen in the pictures

Go to NWFACP.org to find professionals certified by the National Wood Flooring Association

Old 01-04-2010, 08:48 AM

2,904 posts, read 5,901,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardwood Inspector View Post
Great Pics,

However from looking at the pictures I can tell you did not get a great sand and finish. Contractors like to use satin/flat finishes because they really do a good job of masking poor sanding techniques, such as the end of board rolls as seen in the pictures

Go to NWFACP.org to find professionals certified by the National Wood Flooring Association
If you are referring to mine, the reason they used a satin/flat finish was to match the existing floors. We went with satin on our pre-finished Bruce hardwoods to begin with so these had to match.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary