Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 09:05 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times

Advertisements

For whatever it's worth, I don't actually care what the Town of Cary calls anything. I don't care if it's a Christmas Tree or Festivus pole! You do what you need to do and don't look to anyone else to endorse or justify it. Religion is a private matter.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:51 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,535,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
Recognizing that people in a town have many faiths - or no faith - does not mean anyone wants to eliminate religion. Being inclusive rather than exclusive actually allows all religions to flourish.
Absolutely - be inclusive, not exclusive. Instead of tossing out old traditions like a Christmas tree - put up a mennorah, do a festival of lights thing, acknowledge Kwanza. If you are open minded absorb it all. If not, enjoy what you love and ignore the rest.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:32 PM

92 posts, read 103,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
Absolutely - be inclusive, not exclusive. Instead of tossing out old traditions like a Christmas tree - put up a mennorah, do a festival of lights thing, acknowledge Kwanza. If you are open minded absorb it all. If not, enjoy what you love and ignore the rest.
that makes too much sense.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:38 PM

932 posts, read 3,096,607 times
Quote:
Amen! (And yes, I'm passing out Amens and I'm not a Christian. ) I think it's a silly debate and cetainly not newsworthy. Surely there was more stuff going on in the triangle besides what to call the decorated tree in Cary's Town Hall.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:57 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,156,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Bojangles View Post
evidence that cary's liberal population is growing. this same thing is happening across the country in areas that have high percentages of liberals. see california, vermont, massachusetts and more. the progressive point of view is to eliminate religion from everything we can. it is unfortunate that we have gotten to this point. while i agree we need a further separation of church and state, i think this is going too far. i long for the days of old.
i'm all for separation of church and state, especially in terms of ideals. (in practice i am not easily offended and don't usually care if there's a bit of religion in stuff [my wife and i are non-religious]). but this is ridiculous. a christmas tree is a pagan-rooted symbol of the winter festival that now has christian ties for the holiday. the holiday exists, the religion exists, and the people of that religion celebrating that holiday have the tree that is associated with it. it's not a "holiday" tree, it's a christmas tree. if you're not christian, you can celebrate the state/secular holiday however you see fit. for instance we have a christmas tree and stockings, christmas lights, and exchange gifts as a matter of tradition. if you don't want to have a tree, don't have one. the same way that i don't have a menorah for hanukkah. that doesn't change what the item is.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:31 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Reality is that Cary needs to decide if they want to use tax resources to defend against court litigation for failure to separate church and state.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:16 PM

10 posts, read 14,971 times
Geez. I guess we should just start calling December 25th "holiday" instead of Christmas in an effort no to offend anyone. The PC is going completely over the cliff! It is Christmas for crying out loud! PLUS, the tree is a secular symbol and really doesn't have anything to do with the religous aspect of the holiday. People need to put their big girl panties on and stop getting so freakin' offended by every little thing!!!

Old 12-17-2009, 08:25 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Geez, this is sad I'm sorry Cary has come to this.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:37 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,960,165 times
I love it when people get their panties in a wad over a tradition their forefathers stole from pagans in the first place.

Pagans had it right by the way. Pretty much every celebration they had revolved around fertility. Evergreens, easter rabbits, may poles. Get busy and enjoy the yuletide spirit!

Old 12-17-2009, 11:38 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,209,220 times
Quote:
Absolutely - be inclusive, not exclusive. Instead of tossing out old traditions like a Christmas tree - put up a mennorah,
But you can't call it a "mennorah" you beast!! Call it a "non-denominational winter festivus candle thingy." Otherwise people might get OFFENDED...........sniffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
i'm all for separation of church and state, especially in terms of ideals. (in practice i am not easily offended and don't usually care if there's a bit of religion in stuff [my wife and i are non-religious]). but this is ridiculous. a christmas tree is a pagan-rooted symbol of the winter festival that now has christian ties for the holiday. the holiday exists, the religion exists, and the people of that religion celebrating that holiday have the tree that is associated with it. it's not a "holiday" tree, it's a christmas tree. if you're not christian, you can celebrate the state/secular holiday however you see fit. for instance we have a christmas tree and stockings, christmas lights, and exchange gifts as a matter of tradition. if you don't want to have a tree, don't have one. the same way that i don't have a menorah for hanukkah. that doesn't change what the item is.
:applause:

That also makes too much sense. You have no place here in the 21st century, you dinosaur!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary