U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 04:37 PM

226 posts, read 728,531 times

Advertisements

REALLY?? I can't decide which is more pathetic.... that there is actually a debate over such a thing, or the fact that our local news station feels this is a story worthy of airtime.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 05:16 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,642,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayVillage View Post
REALLY?? I can't decide which is more pathetic.... that there is actually a debate over such a thing, or the fact that our local news station feels this is a story worthy of airtime.
maybe they are worried how the ACLU will react if they call it a Christmas Tree

Old 12-16-2009, 05:18 PM

2,888 posts, read 5,845,119 times
As if a tree has anything to do with Christmas.

Embrace everything or refuse everything - anything somewhere in between will have the ACLU after you.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:39 PM

8,269 posts, read 23,312,161 times
Pretty soon all of the "Christmas trees" around here will be sporting bright orange, spray painted signs reading "screwed by the Town Of Cary!"

Old 12-16-2009, 05:41 PM

9,677 posts, read 28,054,411 times
I prefer the use of a Festivus Pole. "Festivus, a holiday for the rest of us!"

More information about the Magic of Festivus! Festivus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Order your festivus pole today!: Celebrate Festivus with your own Festivus Pole -- 100% Aluminum and Made in Milwaukee

Old 12-16-2009, 06:00 PM

92 posts, read 86,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayVillage View Post
evidence that cary's liberal population is growing. this same thing is happening across the country in areas that have high percentages of liberals. see california, vermont, massachusetts and more. the progressive point of view is to eliminate religion from everything we can. it is unfortunate that we have gotten to this point. while i agree we need a further separation of church and state, i think this is going too far. i long for the days of old.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:08 PM

12,360 posts, read 29,702,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I prefer the use of a Festivus Pole. "Festivus, a holiday for the rest of us!"

More information about the Magic of Festivus! Festivus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Order your festivus pole today!: Celebrate Festivus with your own Festivus Pole -- 100% Aluminum and Made in Milwaukee

I was able to give Lamishra some rep but not quite time for me to give you any so I must say...thanks to both of you for making me laugh! My 16 year old annoyance was really on my last nerve and you both may have prevented me from hurting her!!!

Vicki

Old 12-16-2009, 07:35 PM

1,677 posts, read 3,154,500 times
Recognizing that people in a town have many faiths - or no faith - does not mean anyone wants to eliminate religion. Being inclusive rather than exclusive actually allows all religions to flourish.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:38 PM

4,532 posts, read 7,883,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
Recognizing that people in a town have many faiths - or no faith - does not mean anyone wants to eliminate religion. Being inclusive rather than exclusive actually allows all religions to flourish.
I can see why you would think this, but actually, it is chipping away at the long-standing tradition of Christmas being honored in the US. Here's a great explanation of the history of the tree Christmas traditions, Christmas tree history

If Cary fears offending people of other faiths by appearing to be exclusive to Christianity, then let the Christmas tree stay in name and physically, then add symbols of other faiths "Holidays" in a separate display- that is if those citizens are represented in the community and if displaying their symbols honors their faith. And, when Seinfeld comes to town, let us proudly display our Festivus poles

Often today we see that as organizations et al, try to be inclusive, some would say PC, they are in fact excluding Christianity.

Now for a laugh at all of us, you've gotta see this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEQyz...eature=related

To see where this is going, as innocuous as it seems, it is not unlike what has been going on in Great Britain for the last few years. The stories PC gone wrong I am hearing from there are mind-blowing!

And, the common denominator, it starts with small, seemingly insignificant changes like the one discussed in this thread.

If any other faiths claim the "Christmas Tree" as their tradition, then let's call it the Christmas Holiday Tree

Last edited by RaleighLass; 12-16-2009 at 09:47 PM.. Reason: added link

Old 12-16-2009, 09:57 PM

3,650 posts, read 8,581,924 times
lol and bravo all around. Nice to see someone else gets it.

Now stop forcing your Christianity down my throat or I'll tell the ACLU on you, you evil Bible-thumping, door knocking blah blah blah!

As some have mentioned/alluded, it's not being "all inclusive" - nobody is stopping anyone else from expressing their beliefs.

Unless, of course, they're Christian.

I am SICK TO DEATH of people whining because they can't handle that Christianity is by far the dominant religion in this country and so (get ready for a shock) most of the symbolisms/etc you see - esp this time of year - are indeed Christian. Gee go figure. Next thing you know we'll see a lot Star of Davids in Israel or minarets in Iraq. The horror!

This country has truly lost its mind.

But it's nice to know there are still at least a few of us around who get it. Sadly, we're spitting into the wind. Wind, heck - it's the PC hurricane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary