Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2010, 07:59 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,093,157 times

Advertisements

I have looked at the threads for dog boarding but I'm wondering if anyone knows of a facility that will take a young puppy (12 weeks of age). He will likely not be potty trained yet and obviously will not be able to have a rabies vaccine at that age.

Is there anywhere in the triangle that provides care for puppies that young?

We have the opportunity to adopt a puppy which happens to be the breed we have been searching for. We don't want to pass up the opportunity but we need to research whether we can find care for him when we go on vacation. If we hadn't planned this vacation more than 8 months ago we would have rented a house that allows pets...hindsight is always 20/20 though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 08:43 AM

1,424 posts, read 5,341,868 times
Has the dog had all of its immunizations for parvo, etc.? That's a bigger deal than it being potty trained or rabies vaccinated. That said, even with all vaccinations, I don't think puppies develop good immunity until at least 14 weeks. Did you ask your vet?

Do you have a good friend who can take the puppy or can whoever you're getting the puppy from keep it until after your vacation?

Old 06-16-2010, 08:58 AM

He will be up-to-date with all of his age-appropriate vaccines at that time.

We do not have him yet, he will not be ready until July 16th and our vacation is planned for the first week in August.

We are exploring all options right now before we make a commitment to take the puppy. The person we are getting the dog from said they can possibly keep him until our vacation is finished but just in case they can't, we are looking into other alternatives.

Most friends that we have work full-time and we don't want to have to crate him all day long but it may be better than having him in the presence of a large number of dogs.

One of our concerns that you mention is him getting ill at a facility because he is so young.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:32 AM

532 posts, read 2,847,147 times
Our dog is at the opposite end of the age spectrum. 14 yrs. but we've taken her to Paws at Play in Wake Forest. The offer daycare and overnight boarding. I like them because they are associated with a veterinarian's office next door in the event the dog needs medical care.

I called them and they said they do take puppies (even younger than 12 weeks), however they must meet all of the requirements for deworming, vaccinations, etc. You'll need to call them to get the details.

They will not take an animal (even our 14 yr old) unless they meet all the health requirements. They can not afford to risk other animals getting sick.

We love this place because the staff is great, they take great care of our dog, they have indoor areas and more than one outdoor play area, swimming pool, webcam of pool area so you can kind of see your pet via internet, the place is clean, the animals are always attended and it's good socialization for the dogs. They do a temperment check first to see what other dogs your's should be with. For example, our dog is well socialized but not very active and hard of hearing and seeing so she goes out with other nice "cruisers". She'd never be placed with the young, rambunctious, "bruisers". We love getting the report cards to see how she's done and they will let us know if she seems to be more reserved or less confident. That's how we began noticing that her sight was going (cataracts).

Paws at Play (http://www.pawsatplay.com/index.html - broken link)

Old 06-16-2010, 10:00 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,850,352 times
I think the best option is to let the folks you're getting it from keep it, and pay them for doing so. That way, the puppy is not thrown into one unfamiliar (scary) environment (i.e. your family) and then just when he gets used to that, put in a boarding facility with all the chaos of other dogs barking, smells, more strangers, etc.

It would be disorienting to him and possibly long-term traumatic to have all of this happen so close together; he is adjusted to where he is now, and I'd say leaving him there until he can come to his new home is by far the best thing for HIM. But you should offer to pay the folks for keeping him a little longer than they were planning to.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:14 AM

1 posts, read 2,455 times
Please let your breeder keep your puppy until you are back from vacation. We had a similar situation many years ago and our puppy nearly died from parvo. It was a long road back to good health for him. At the same time of our incident, a German Shepard belonging to our police department was being boarded at the same place and died. It opened up quite an investigation of the facility only to find the areas we were allowed to see in touring were only for show. We have never boarded our pets again. A lesson truly learned at our beautiful, loyal, friend's expense.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I think the best option is to let the folks you're getting it from keep it, and pay them for doing so. That way, the puppy is not thrown into one unfamiliar (scary) environment (i.e. your family) and then just when he gets used to that, put in a boarding facility with all the chaos of other dogs barking, smells, more strangers, etc.

It would be disorienting to him and possibly long-term traumatic to have all of this happen so close together; he is adjusted to where he is now, and I'd say leaving him there until he can come to his new home is by far the best thing for HIM. But you should offer to pay the folks for keeping him a little longer than they were planning to.
This is our best option and what we are hoping will happen. We cannot pick him up in July and then drop him off for our vacation. Once he leaves the facility he cannot return for boarding but we can delay his pick-up until after our vacation.

They cannot guarantee that they can keep him for us though, even with a donation/payment for services.

The adoption process is a bit of a unique situation so they are not set up like a rescue or shelter.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kivell View Post
Please let your breeder keep your puppy until you are back from vacation. We had a similar situation many years ago and our puppy nearly died from parvo. It was a long road back to good health for him. At the same time of our incident, a German Shepard belonging to our police department was being boarded at the same place and died. It opened up quite an investigation of the facility only to find the areas we were allowed to see in touring were only for show. We have never boarded our pets again. A lesson truly learned at our beautiful, loyal, friend's expense.
Thank you for sharing your experience. This is what I fear will happen!

He is not from a breeder per say (he's a mixed breed). A vet is housing him and his litter until they are neutered and ready for adoption but they don't have a lot of room and need the puppies to ideally exit as soon as they are ready for adoption.

If they cannot keep him for us until we return from vacation we will just have to decline and wait for another perfect fit to come our way.

My other option is to stay behind on vacation with him and let the rest of the family go (they are only going to the outter banks). My husband isn't too keen on this idea but honestly, I'd rather have the puppy then go on vacation

Old 06-16-2010, 01:02 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,589,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
If they cannot keep him for us until we return from vacation we will just have to decline and wait for another perfect fit to come our way.

My other option is to stay behind on vacation with him and let the rest of the family go (they are only going to the outter banks). My husband isn't too keen on this idea but honestly, I'd rather have the puppy then go on vacation

I think either of those are the best options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary