Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 11:21 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picaflora View Post
The "Knightdale hate" is seriously ridiculous... do any of the haters actually SPEND TIME in Knightdale???

Yes - there are now red light cameras. I can't see the video at work, so I don't know what exactly its refering to. Red light cameras are a pain, they've been contested, but they still stand. Cary has them all over the place, and no one cares.

Living in Knightdale, I feel like I'm getting a taste of how Durham used to feel...
Yep, and it's usually people who know nothing of the area. The amount of misinformation and ignorance about the town stuns me. No place is perfect but KD has great homes prices, some very nice subdivisions, a sense of community, easy shopping access, around 20 mins from downtown and North Hills, Cary, Wake Forest. And close to amenities.

I've lived in a few places in the Raleigh area and love the convenience of KD. Before I moved here I thought it would be too far from things...was I wrong. Once I drove out here and timed my commute to key areas of the triangle, I realized how wrong I was, and so I moved here. I used to work in Durham. My colleagues drove from Apex and Cary. Our commute times were 10-15mins difference and sometimes the same. The good thing about KD is that there are so many ways to get here. If one road is slow or jammed (rare), there are many alternates - 40, 540, New Bern, Capital, and from there Buffaloe, Forestville Rds etc.. I love that traffic is not bad compared to other areas due to 264, 64, the beltline carrying traffic thru the area.

Many call this area Raleigh's hidden gem. The former police chief (Ral) lived in Hedingham at one time, some wealthy business and land owners live here. We have all kinds of folks in this area. People are starting to discover it, more will...until then, I'll do my part to set the record straight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 10:28 PM

22 posts, read 190,148 times
RaleighLass - good for you for setting the record straight about living in Knightdale! I was the person that posted the link from WRAL about the red lights capturing the wrecks or near misses at intersections. I apologize if I offended you. I think I posted that in an attempt to say, 'stay safe on the roads folks' & didn't realize how insensitive this came across. I came this video earlier in the day & thought about it when I saw this Knightdale post. I like your town & even though have never lived there, I always looked forward to driving through when visiting my son at Barton College in Wilson.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:32 AM

143 posts, read 416,904 times
Does anyone know if the same company does all the red light cameras in the Triangle? The WRAL footage was actually lifted from a promotional video for Redflex, who was trying to justify their profiteering in the area. The interesting thing was that none of these accidents had anything to do with the cameras, just satisfied peoples' desire to watch wrecks. Different discussion for a different time though

Old 08-29-2010, 10:33 PM

31 posts, read 60,275 times
I used to live in Raleigh and my kids' schools were Forestville Road Elementary, in Knightdale and Wendell Middle, in Wendell. I really liked the schools. one of my sons still attends Forestville Road as I requested he stay there to finsih up elementary school in the same place. I think it's a nice town. Perhaps because many of the housing in more accesible (affordable) you have some familes who are not as affluent who live there. You know how American cultrue is about people who don't look like T.V. suburbanites. I find that there are a lot of people who are comfortable living within their means in Knighdale and aren't fraid to show it. Otherwise, it's got a lot to offer for such a small town.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiglet23 View Post
I find that there are a lot of people who are comfortable living within their means in Knighdale and aren't fraid to show it. Otherwise, it's got a lot to offer for such a small town.
You hit the nail on the head! And, some of the people could certainly live wherever they want and afford grander homes, but they are happy in something more modest and managable.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:46 PM

150 posts, read 289,179 times
I know this is an old thread but can anyone tell me how the situation in the area has changed? Our kids are older and in college but I still don't want an area influenced by gang activity!!

Old 07-17-2011, 05:37 PM

I just posted a response about the so called gang thing yesterday. To set the record straight....Knightdale is a safe, small town in a great location with moderate and higher priced homes up to around the low million $$. It is the place where your can play in the child or adult softball or kickball community league, kids play outside (the old way of entertainment) without worrying about their safety, you can visit local stores and run into friends, neighbors, storekeepers are actually nice to you! There is a real sense of community here.

NO, there are NOT gang problems. The gang problem which exists in most if not all Wake Co schools (including Kdale, Cary, Raleigh, etc..) consists of kids belonging to a group, calling themselves a gang, wearing colors and engaging in mostly bravado with opposing members. In the triangle area of over 1.5 M people, there have been ISOLATED incidences of violence..I've heard of maybe 4 in as many years. In my everyday life I have not been affected by a gang or a member, do not know anyone who has.

Our area looks nice, normal. We do not have run down bldgs, scruffy streets, or urban decay. It's mostly new build with a very, very small central town area. If you visited Knightdale....those of you who think we have gangs roaming the streets looking for a victim...you will laugh at the absurdity of your question.

The gang reputation came from 2006 -2007 or so. At that time some stupid kids spray painted their gang sign on a couple of walls and targeted a local church for the same. To borrow an old saying, there were "teenage hooligans". They acted tough, but were just a local group of kids with nothing to do, and clearly no parental guidance. But, Knightdale being the small town it is, it said no way will we let this grow, we'll stop these kids in their tracks. So, they made it illegal for kids to buy spray paint and enacted a curfew. This worked.

If you'll drive around the beltline, I-440, you will notice grafitti on the brick wall. You will find bits of grafitti all over Wake and Durham Co. There are "gangs" all over Wake Co including Cary where most newcomers are drawn to. If someone doesn't want to be near these kids, then NC isn't for them.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:24 PM

10 posts, read 15,316 times
I have lived in Knightdale and had no problems they are many great subdivisons and everyone was really nice they have everything you need as far as shoping goes. Its is close to downtown Raleigh and for traveling anywhere in Raleigh you can just take 540 or the new hwy 64 to jump on 440. They did have a gang problem with the kids in schools but thats all over raleigh, and i think they have cleaned up the gang problem they had in the schools.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:03 AM

374 posts, read 1,181,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbenn View Post
I have lived in Knightdale and had no problems they are many great subdivisons and everyone was really nice they have everything you need as far as shoping goes. Its is close to downtown Raleigh and for traveling anywhere in Raleigh you can just take 540 or the new hwy 64 to jump on 440. They did have a gang problem with the kids in schools but thats all over raleigh, and i think they have cleaned up the gang problem they had in the schools.
I have lived here for over 2 years now and have not seen or heard about any gang activity in the area. I would just drive around Knightdale and see how you feel about it yourself because that is the most important thing.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:12 AM

150 posts, read 289,179 times
thank you all for clearing that up! I think, along with Clayton and Garner, Knightsdale will be one of the area for us to look for our home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary