Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 12:08 PM

194 posts, read 490,749 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We just completed a home inspection and the seller would not allow us to test the HVAC unit (which is fine) but we requested that we have a HVAC company come in and do a maintenance ck and (not turn it on) but clean it up and visually look at it, which he refused and said he would provide a AHS home warranty (which he would upgrade to include the HVAC unit)

My question is what you recommend? We are essentially being asked to buy a home, without knowing if the unit works at all? Our home inspector said it appears to be ok.

The unit is 11 years old.

Also he has no records of maintaining the unit?

The home also had termites which he did tend to (asap). Although he had to repair approx. a 7" piece of wood that the termites destroyed (supporting beam between the garage doors) He did not get a Builders Permit, which of course concerns me, but claims the contracter told him that it was such a small area, that there was no need for one.

The other problem is that several of the windows have issues with their springs and when you unlock them the drop quickly.

THose are the 3 main problems, I will mention he fixed the garbage disposal, and replaced glass in a window.

I believe he feels we got a good price for the home and does not want to reduce or put anymore money into the home.

Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 12:13 PM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3muskateers View Post
Hello,

We just completed a home inspection and the seller would not allow us to test the HVAC unit (which is fine) but we requested that we have a HVAC company come in and do a maintenance ck and (not turn it on) but clean it up and visually look at it, which he refused and said he would provide a AHS home warranty (which he would upgrade to include the HVAC unit)

My question is what you recommend? We are essentially being asked to buy a home, without knowing if the unit works at all? Our home inspector said it appears to be ok.

The unit is 11 years old.

Also he has no records of maintaining the unit?

The home also had termites which he did tend to (asap). Although he had to repair approx. a 7" piece of wood that the termites destroyed (supporting beam between the garage doors) He did not get a Builders Permit, which of course concerns me, but claims the contracter told him that it was such a small area, that there was no need for one.

The other problem is that several of the windows have issues with their springs and when you unlock them the drop quickly.

THose are the 3 main problems, I will mention he fixed the garbage disposal, and replaced glass in a window.

I believe he feels we got a good price for the home and does not want to reduce or put anymore money into the home.

Any advice?
Did you use an agent and the NC Association of REALTORS® standard form "Offer to Purchase and Contract?"

Does it say anywhere in your contract that the Seller must agree to the scope of inspections, or that the Seller may force a home warranty in lieu of thorough inspections?

Old 12-19-2009, 12:25 PM

4,303 posts, read 5,988,329 times
The standard AHS warranty does cover HVAC, although will only replace if repair isn't feasible. Be warned, though, even full replacement doesn't cover everything. We had to pay $800 to have ours replaced this summer to pay for things like permits, disposal of the old unit, a new pad to fit the new exterior unit, and new plenum for the ductwork.

Much better than the thousands it would have cost without the warranty, but don't think that replacement coverage is full coverage.

As for the refusal of HVAC inspection, Mike and Vicki can certainly answer this better than I can, but if I remember correctly, the standard NC offer sheet allows for inspections "as Buyer deems appropriate". So that to me means that you more or less call the shots.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:52 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,445,190 times
11 years old is near the end of its life cycle, even if it does work just factor that in.

Is it a heat pump? If so when using the heat in the home you can point a laser thermometer at the ducts and get a read out. For these current temps (30's) a good output temp w/o heat strips is around 85-90. If it works in the heating mode I would be satisfied it works in the cooling role as well.

Old 12-19-2009, 04:54 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,336,790 times
OK, what am I missing? The owner refused to let the HVAC be tested during a home inspection??? I would call that a red flag. I can't think of one reason I wouldn't let someone inspect/test my HVAC if they were considering buying my house unless I had something to hide. I am not versed in this type of thing, I just think it's weird.

And even if you assume the HVAC is bad during your housing negotiation and deal with pricing accordingly, what else might this owner be withholding? Something stinks in Denmark IMHO.

Good luck....hope it all works out for you.

Old 12-19-2009, 05:06 PM

THank you for all your input, and Didee you are right! He actually let us have our home inspector look at it and inspect it he just would not let it be turned on (which is ok) We asked him to do a service on it before closing and that is when he refused. I am a bit nervous too.

Old 12-19-2009, 05:09 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3muskateers View Post
THank you for all your input, and Didee you are right! He actually let us have our home inspector look at it and inspect it he just would not let it be turned on (which is ok) We asked him to do a service on it before closing and that is when he refused. I am a bit nervous too.
If you can back out, do so.

Ask your broker or an attorney foradvice.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:43 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
The standard AHS warranty does cover HVAC, although will only replace if repair isn't feasible. Be warned, though, even full replacement doesn't cover everything. We had to pay $800 to have ours replaced this summer to pay for things like permits, disposal of the old unit, a new pad to fit the new exterior unit, and new plenum for the ductwork.

Much better than the thousands it would have cost without the warranty, but don't think that replacement coverage is full coverage.

As for the refusal of HVAC inspection, Mike and Vicki can certainly answer this better than I can, but if I remember correctly, the standard NC offer sheet allows for inspections "as Buyer deems appropriate". So that to me means that you more or less call the shots.
You got it right! The soon to be buyer is allowed to do his inspections. I'd be a bit suspicious if a seller told my client that he isn't allowed to test the HVAC. Usually the seller isn't even at the buyer's inspection. This sounds like we are missing part of the story.

Vicki

Old 12-19-2009, 08:54 PM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
You got it right! The soon to be buyer is allowed to do his inspections. I'd be a bit suspicious if a seller told my client that he isn't allowed to test the HVAC. Usually the seller isn't even at the buyer's inspection. This sounds like we are missing part of the story.

Vicki
Undoubtedly.
Maybe the repair request date has passed, along with typical buyer contractual rights to inspect and seller is within rights to deny further inspection that may lead to a repair request.
Maybe the standard NC REALTOR® Offer to Purchase and Contract is not the contract document, so the protocols included therein may not apply.

Maybe, maybe... Who knows?

Old 12-19-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Undoubtedly.
Maybe the repair request date has passed, along with typical buyer contractual rights to inspect and seller is within rights to deny further inspection that may lead to a repair request.
Maybe the standard NC REALTOR® Offer to Purchase and Contract is not the contract document, so the protocols included therein may not apply.

Maybe, maybe... Who knows?
Sorry to have confused everyone.
The original inspection of the property was done and during the inspection our inspector could not test the system due to the cold weather. He did his best by visually inspecting and the seller had no problem with that. Our inspector then suggested we ask the seller to do a general maintainence on the HVAC unit since the seller did not have any records, that is what the seller declined, stating that he did not want to and that he would in return give us a warranty.

He has not lived in the home for several yrs. and rented it for a short period. The home has been vacant for approx. 11 months.

How do buyers test the HVAC systems in the winter, should have we hired our own HVAC contractor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary