Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 02:53 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,930,862 times

Advertisements

I have a question regarding certain U-turn rules that I can't figure out.

On roads like Capital and New Bern when doing a u-turn there are signs that say "u-turn yield to right turns." I cannot comprehend why these signs are there. I know when my lane gets a U-turn arrow the right-turners that would interfere with me have a green arrow, tooo, and that is why they are going.

I don't understand why they have a right turn arrow to begin with. They get a solid green on the previous cycle when those cross-streets to Capital/New Bern are moving through the intersection. Those lights turn red, my u-turn (or left turn) light turns green and then the right-turners get a green arrow, too.

I've been stuck at intersections for a light cycle (or two or three) because the u-turn traffic is jammed up and can't go anywhere. Since the right-turners already had a previous opportunity to turn right (on their solid green) then why the hell do they get priority on their right turn on the next cycle when I'm supposed to U-turn? (And this is my only opportunity to turn.)

This makes no sense to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 03:46 PM

814 posts, read 2,006,886 times
Are they talking about right turns from oncoming traffic? I always thought they were talking about right turns by cross traffic (the people waiting at the red light to the left) who are taking a right on red. In other words telling you. HEy, ...watch out for people taking right turns on red...they may not know to look for you, as they are thinking they should look to the left for cars, not straight ahead!"

Old 12-18-2009, 04:15 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
If I understand correctly:
You are in a left turn lane wanting to make a U-turn and the cars to your LEFT are making a right on red, ultimately putting you both in the same direction. The cars making the right on red are looking at traffic to their left so they can go, not watching to yield to U-turn traffic. The right on red turners have right of way over a U-turner, then yeah, you have to sit there indefinitely until nothing is coming.
I see this a lot at the intersection of Walnut Street and Buck Jones Road and inevitably, the U-turners have to sit there so long behind the people who trying to make a U turn, that the people making legitimate left turns never get to go!
I think at major intersections like that, where there are always a large number of U-turners, they should also make it "no right on red". I've seen some very near misses there when the right turners have a green arrow at the same time as the left turners/U-turners.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:35 PM

871 posts, read 3,018,234 times
The right turners get a right green arrow cuz the lane they are in can ONLY turn right. They only put green arrows over lanes that can ONLY turn in the direction indicated. Green balls indicate more than one possible turn scenario.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:48 PM

450 posts, read 1,553,706 times
Just remember, on the totem pole that is traffic maneuvers, the U-Turn is the lowest you can possibly get. U-Turn-ers must yield to a leprous snail, if it so happens to be crossing the street. That's why you must yield to those making a right turn.

Old 12-18-2009, 06:27 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,579,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
If I understand correctly:
You are in a left turn lane wanting to make a U-turn and the cars to your LEFT are making a right on red, ultimately putting you both in the same direction. The cars making the right on red are looking at traffic to their left so they can go, not watching to yield to U-turn traffic. The right on red turners have right of way over a U-turner, then yeah, you have to sit there indefinitely until nothing is coming.
I see this a lot at the intersection of Walnut Street and Buck Jones Road and inevitably, the U-turners have to sit there so long behind the people who trying to make a U turn, that the people making legitimate left turns never get to go!
I think at major intersections like that, where there are always a large number of U-turners, they should also make it "no right on red". I've seen some very near misses there when the right turners have a green arrow at the same time as the left turners/U-turners.
No, the cars making the right turn have a right green arrow. They are in a dedicated lane for right turns. The intersections where the sign that reads "U-turn must yield" doesn't exist those turning right do not have an arrow.

To the o.p.: This is usually done at intersections that yield a high volume of cars making right turns and a minimal amount of U-turns or just from the fact that there are a higher number of right-turners compared to U-turners. Sorry to inconvenience you but I enjoy the right-turn arrows and look forward to blowing the horn at an ignorant driver who fails to yield to my right-of-way.

Quote:
That's why you must yield to those making a right turn.
Just note that you only have to yield to a right-turner if there is a sign telling you to do so since it means the right-turner has a green arrow. If no sign for you, blow the horn at them for running a red light and failing to yield to your right-of-way.

Old 12-18-2009, 06:49 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,211,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
I cannot comprehend why these signs are there.
I have said that about 1,000 times since moving to NC. Don't look for logic; NC DOT hates it.

Old 12-19-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
To the o.p.: This is usually done at intersections that yield a high volume of cars making right turns and a minimal amount of U-turns or just from the fact that there are a higher number of right-turners compared to U-turners. Sorry to inconvenience you but I enjoy the right-turn arrows and look forward to blowing the horn at an ignorant driver who fails to yield to my right-of-way.
Problem is, a couple of these intersections where I see this DO NOT have high-right turn volume. (At least not at the times I go through them.) I would say it's just enough volume to be annoying.

But seriously, if they did not get a green arrow they still wouldn't wait that long since they'll get a solid green arrow eventually. Or, they can make the turn on red when there is no u-turners in their way.

Also, this system is an accident waiting to happen. A lot of people in the left turn lane see a green light and don't recognize or pay attention to the yield sign. They don't realize cars in front of them might stop before completing the u-turn because they have to yield to a right-turner. On Wednesday I saw a car rear-end another - right in front of a cop, too. Ouch!

Old 12-20-2009, 08:22 AM

376 posts, read 1,062,340 times
There's room for a lot of improvement with the lights/signs, etc all over here, that's for sure!

Old 12-20-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvinegal View Post
There's room for a lot of improvement with the lights/signs, etc all over here, that's for sure!
You've got that right. I call this place "Red Light Raleigh" because there is no traffic flow whatsoever. You just go from intersection to intersection and it is very rare to actually make it through a green light.

I came from a major-metro area 4X the size of Raleigh-Durham and the traffic flow here is 10 times worse. The lack of traffic planning here is mind boggling to me. Each traffic signal at major intersections are done independently without any regard to traffic flow.

For instance, when I leave work there is a series of 4 intersections I must cross before I'm in the clear a bit. Each of these are about 1/4 to 1/2 mile apart. 95% of the time I stop at the first one because the light is red when I get there. Then, just as it turns green we start to move and then BAM, the light in front of us goes red. This repeats through all 4 intersections.

C'mon people, can't you sync lights like this so the east-west traffic lights are all green at the same time? (Then you can make them all red at the same time and let the cross-streets empty into the main road.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary