Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 12:00 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,755,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
Too bad. I think developers do better when they build neighborhoods like Brightleaf at the Park and leave natural wooded trees on site.

There's a movement afoot in Durham to ban clear-cut and mass grading development practices. It's things like these practices that get folks' blood boiling about new subdivisions.
I completely agree. There are some subdivision where they have clear cut (Southhampton is one that I know of) and then are there are some where it use to be a field thus there were not many trees to begin with. Someone told me the area around Lakehurst was mostly trees before it was a sd, but that predates me so I do not know if that is true or not.

I've seen fields with a buffer of a small bunch of trees between the road and the field, so in the summer it lots almost forest like. I wonder if Toll Bro development was like that. ??? Or in fact if they clear cut.

This is our first home that we've ever purchased or lived in that was under 75 years old so we were ignorant of some grading issues. I wish I had known to ask if the good topsoil had been scraped off and sold before development. I envision that we will be bringing in loads of compost soil every spring and fall for many years to come. Not to mention it does seem like in heavy rains the water runs off our yards into the storm drains pretty quickly. We're hoping some more vegetation in the right places will prevent some of the run off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 12:01 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,964,579 times
They recently gutted all of the trees in Brier Creek too. And I don't know how that two lane road is going to handle all of the traffic. I feel very, very sorry for the homeowners who live across the street from that property.

Old 07-12-2008, 02:26 PM

551 posts, read 575,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
Too bad. I think developers do better when they build neighborhoods like Brightleaf at the Park and leave natural wooded trees on site.

There's a movement afoot in Durham to ban clear-cut and mass grading development practices. It's things like these practices that get folks' blood boiling about new subdivisions.

It does look sad when many acres are clearcut. Sometimes there are good reasons though. Sometimes the trees that are there are not of good quality or would be harmed by being exposed when some trees are taken out. Although it is hard to watch, I don't mind clear cutting when need if a couple of things are done. First, there must be a plan in place that requires the replanting of dense landscaping trees (not just the one token tree in the front yard). Second, make sure the perimeter trees are left intact as buffers. If a properly done landscaping plan is followed, all will be well in 10 years. Centex does a good job with this.

Old 07-12-2008, 03:25 PM

1,364 posts, read 6,022,274 times
Definitely true regarding trees - it's no surprise that we bought in Brightleaf and our second choice was Grandale - both neighborhoods where the developer(s) did excellent jobs of saving mature trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary