Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2009, 04:09 PM

7 posts, read 21,857 times

Advertisements

It is almost impossible to find any info on Oxford, NC!

If you have anything to say about this town let me have it!

I'm interested in moving to within an hour of the research triangle. I need to live in a small town surrounded by open space.

Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 04:31 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,425,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AugDog View Post
It is almost impossible to find any info on Oxford, NC!

If you have anything to say about this town let me have it!

I'm interested in moving to within an hour of the research triangle. I need to live in a small town surrounded by open space.

Please help!
Try this:

[SIZE=3]Welcome to the City of Oxford, North Carolina[/SIZE]

Old 08-11-2009, 04:47 PM

7,147 posts, read 4,742,203 times
I've only been to Oxford twice, and it's a charming town with a very pretty downtown area, but that's a long drive.

You may want to check out the New Light Road area in Granville County near Falls Lake. All along northern Wake and southern Granville Counties you'll find plenty of space around you.

If you need to be very close to a place with a downtown area, you may want to check out Wake Forest, too.

good luck.
best,
toodie

Old 08-11-2009, 04:59 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,290,539 times
I have been to Oxford half a dozen times or so in the last ten years. IMHO, it's OK (much better than nearby Henderson, for example). Some industrial plants are abandoned, giving part of the town a run-down look, but other parts are fine. Good downtown area for its size. There are some nice old houses. I would urge you to do a trial run of the commute during rush hour before you make any final decision if your plan is to live in Oxford and work in RTP.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:01 PM

475 posts, read 1,305,136 times
I've been to Oxford many times and honestly it's not somewhere I'd want to live. As a previous poster said there are several areas that look kinda run down. Plus Granville County itself is lacking in SO many aspects. When I say there is NOTHING to do in Granville County, no movies, no bowling alley, in the entire county, I mean it.

I would reccomend you visit and stay a weekend of a few days in Oxford before making a choice.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:52 AM

656 posts, read 1,991,920 times
I live in Franklinton (just off of 96) but only 10 miles from Oxford. I think Oxford is charming, I frequently go there. We currently are members of a pool up there, the subdivison is called Oxford Park, and it has been wonderful. It is definately a much slower way of life there which for me makes it more appealing.

Can you give more specifics of what you are wanting to know about Oxford?

Old 08-18-2009, 08:08 AM

656 posts, read 1,991,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickchick2000 View Post
I've been to Oxford many times and honestly it's not somewhere I'd want to live. As a previous poster said there are several areas that look kinda run down. Plus Granville County itself is lacking in SO many aspects. When I say there is NOTHING to do in Granville County, no movies, no bowling alley, in the entire county, I mean it.

I would reccomend you visit and stay a weekend of a few days in Oxford before making a choice.

Well, since I actually live in Granville County I'd like to chime in on this opinion. Just because an area does not have a movie theater, a bowling alley or other types of "entertainment", I do not find that there is "nothing to do". I LOVE living in Granville County and I lack for nothing here --- and if I do want to catch a movie well it is 13 miles down the road. I'm content living where apparently there is "nothing to do".

Old 12-15-2009, 11:16 AM

1 posts, read 5,765 times
This there any issues between African Americans and Caucasian Americans? From the city stats...I believe it's almost 50/50.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:23 AM

515 posts, read 1,716,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slively33 View Post
This there any issues between African Americans and Caucasian Americans? From the city stats...I believe it's almost 50/50.
I cannot answer this but I had to comment. It amazes me how many people have asked this question in various threads on here. I feel like we are living in the 50's and 60's!!!

Old 12-23-2009, 12:36 PM

1 posts, read 5,726 times
Smile Living in Oxford

I've lived in Oxfrod NC for the last 7 years. Previously I lived in Wilmington, NC for 33 years. I find the charm of the small town very appealing. Also, being right off of I-85, it's easy access to Durham and Raleigh.
The schools have gone through some major revamping lately. 3 area High schools, 4 middle schools(6-8) and several elementary schools. True, we don't have bowling alleys, or movie theaters, but both are within 30 minutes in Durham and closer still, if you travel the whole 10 minutes to Henderson!
Super Walmart just opened this fall, and Walgreens and well as CVS are downtown.
Oxford is a pleasant town with friendly people and an easy going lifestyle. Housing cost are very reasonable.
Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary