Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 05:30 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,547,170 times

Advertisements

Compared to Jackson, MS, or Birmingham, AL....no, Raleigh would not seem very southern. But compared to washington dc (which is sometimes loosely defined as a "southern city") yes, Raleigh is southern. When we first moved there from Rochester, NY in the mid 90's nobody would try to claim that Raleigh wasn't southern and it certainly seemed southern to us. Over the years it grew and changed a lot and by the time we left in 2007 I'd say it was more of a transient area (think DC, Phoenix, Las Vegas, or most areas of Florida) in general but still southern at the core. The "southerness" seemed to have been "diluted" in the Raleigh area over the last couple of decades but I wouldn't say it has been eliminated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 06:51 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,745,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever User Name View Post
Southern Accents are predominate Actually, Yiddish predominates. Strange, but true.
What kind of drugs are you on ??????????????????????????????????

Old 12-26-2009, 06:58 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,745,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
I have a quick question for you guys. I'm from Michigan (although I live in Georgia at the moment), and I've heard from people from the South say that Raleigh (Durham, Wake Forest, Chapel Hill) is this interesting, progressive, non culturally Southern area that just happens to be in a Southern state.

I'm skeptical at best. After all, I've heard the same thing about Atlanta, and I've found that it's about as Deep South as it gets. When I'm in the Atlanta area, I never forget that I'm in Georgia.

My question is, is this true? Is Raleigh really a Northern city that just happens to be in North Carolina, or is it simply an Atlanta-style "New South" city, like Charlotte or Nashville?
Raleigh is IN NO WAY a "Northern" city, whatsoever. Yes, there are lots of Northerners here (especially in Cary, and the southern Wake County towns--aka "Long Island South"--but Raleigh is not "A Northern city").

Yes, the Triangle is the most progressive area in NC and among the most progressive in the South. Are you somehow so misinformed as to think that this doesn't mean it can also be "Southern"?

GUESS WHAT:-> SOUTHERN PEOPLE CAN BE PROGRESSIVE, TOO! Need I remind you that John Edwards, former Vice Presidential candidate on the Democratic ticket (let's ignore his personal goings-on for the moment) lived in Raleigh? Need I remind you that the two most "liberal" Presidents this country has had in the past few decades, up until Obama, were Southern (Carter and Clinton)?

But yes, there are conservative, and moderate, and Libertarian people here too! GUESS WHAT? You can't stereotype an area into a pigeonhole!

You seem to be using "Southern" as a synonym for "country hicks", and no, Raleigh is not in like that. Please turn off "The Beverly Hillbillies" and learn a thing or two. Will you hear Southern accents in this SOUTHERN city? Um, yes, you will. Got a problem with it:? Then please, PLEASE don't move here! I'm sure there are many other places you can go where you don't need to bother your precious self with any "Southern" mannerisms (such as saying please and thank you, yes Sir and Yes Ma'am, smiling and speaking to strangers you pass on the street).

PLEASE, if the idea of a "Southern" city gives you the vapors, we would all--all million or so of us in the Triangle area--love for you to find somewhere else to live. You won't like it here!

Last edited by Francois; 12-26-2009 at 07:07 PM..

Old 12-26-2009, 07:07 PM

4,893 posts, read 7,397,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Raleigh is IN NO WAY a "Northern" city, whatsoever. Yes, there are lots of Northerners here (especially in Cary, and the southern Wake County towns--aka "Long Island South"--but Raleigh is not "A Northern city").

Yes, the Triangle is the most progressive area in NC and among the most progressive in the South. Are you somehow so misinformed as to think that this doesn't mean it can also be "Southern"?

GUESS WHAT:-> SOUTHERN PEOPLE CAN BE PROGRESSIVE, TOO! Need I remind you that John Edwards, former Vice Presidential candidate on the Democratic ticket (let's ignore his personal goings-on for the moment) was lived in Raleigh? Need I remind you that the two most "liberal" Presidents this country has had in the past few decades, up until Obama, were Southern (Carter and Clinton)?

But yes, there are conservative, and moderate, and Libertarian people here too! GUESS WHAT? You can't stereotype an area into a pigeonhole!

You seem to be using "Southern" as a synonym for "country hicks", and no, Raleigh is not in like that. Please turn off "The Beverly Hillbillies" and learn a thing or two. Will you hear Southern accents in this SOUTHERN city? Um, yes, you will. Got a problem with it:? Then please, PLEASE don't move here! I'm sure there are many other places you can go where you don't need to bother your precious self with any "Southern" mannerisms (such as saying please and thank you, yes Sir and Yes Ma'am, smiling and speaking to strangers you pass on the street).

PLEASE, if the idea of a "Southern" city gives you the vapors, we would all--all million or so of us in the Triangle area--love for you to find somewhere else to live. You won't like it here!

Well said!

Old 12-26-2009, 08:37 PM

47 posts, read 97,024 times
You watch way too much television.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
WQDR-94.7 FM Station Address:3012 Highwoods Blvd. Raleigh, NC 27604

Is it not on the air?

Old 12-26-2009, 08:54 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,097,138 times
Quote:

GUESS WHAT:-> SOUTHERN PEOPLE CAN BE PROGRESSIVE, TOO! Need I remind you that John Edwards, former Vice Presidential candidate on the Democratic ticket (let's ignore his personal goings-on for the moment) lived in Raleigh? Need I remind you that the two most "liberal" Presidents this country has had in the past few decades, up until Obama, were Southern (Carter and Clinton)?

Somedays there just ain't enough rep points to give...

Old 12-26-2009, 09:29 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,425,446 times
^Yes +1 Francois
Quote:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Francois again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh4000 View Post
You watch way too much television.
TV? I asked because I don't live in the Triangle. Just a friendly question. I was curious if it is on the air.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:22 AM

467 posts, read 710,597 times
When we were considering moving to Atlanta from Chapel Hill, it wasn't much different from Raleigh than the Attractions, amounts of suburban towns, and buildings. I actually liked Atlanta more than Raleigh. I didn't really see the point of this thread from the get-go.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:06 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,141,611 times
Quote:

Great post, but I would have to challenge that one statement. I think that Charlotte and Asheville (at least) are far more progressive than the Triangle, but basically your post was otherwise spot-on.

I found this link, which pertains to the discussion. It is about what states are loosing the most people and why:
biggest-losers-where-americans-are-not-moving: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/real-estate/article/108478/biggest-losers-where-americans-are-not-moving - broken link)

Michigan ranked 3rd behind CA and NY, but when you look at percentage of movers vs. total poplulation, the region ranked first. I think it says a lot about why people might whine and complain all day long about how "horrible" the South is, yet at the end of the day, it's so "horrible" that they choose to end up here.

People's lives would be a lot more satisfying if they'd just focus on the good in life, rather than finding the few things that make them miserable and then dwelling on them....

Old 12-27-2009, 12:30 PM

321 posts, read 530,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmateo View Post
I think that Charlotte and Asheville (at least) are far more progressive than the Triangle,
Charlotte? The banker's town?? The southern epicenter of the USA's financial meltdowns? Surely you jest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary