Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 11:17 AM

70 posts, read 324,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvanevery View Post
Easily obtained by a quick Google. Here's one from the NC Medical Journal in 2002 (http://www.ncmedicaljournal.org/nov-dec-02/numbers.pdf - broken link).
Thank you for validating my thread with your statistical report. Actually, this region's corpulence has no doubt worsened since this Medical Journal's publication in 2002 (subsequent to that time, the region has added three Bojangles, two Dunkin' Donuts, and a Tiny's Hot Dog Stand.)

Old 12-27-2009, 11:33 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,829,054 times
The CDC website has a map showing, by county, the obesity rates for every state, as of 2007. The maps are available here. For the most part, it appears the Triangle area has relatively low rates of obesity, especially compared to other areas of the state.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 12-27-2009 at 12:03 PM.. Reason: First map link wasn't working properly

Old 12-27-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadowNC View Post

I mean, come on, what is the purpose except to sound judgmental. If you really do live here, you know that we love fried food and drive everywhere. Not rocket science.
Not true.

Besides, James Taylor is from Carrboro. He can afford to have his chauffeur shuttle him to Bojangles up to four times per day. Yet, according to most sources, he is underweight by anywhere from four to eleven pounds. The same applies to actor Michael C. Hall ('Dexter"), singer Clay Aiken and countless others. Yet, despite these outliers, on average, our residents are sadly rotund.

Old 12-27-2009, 01:31 PM

502 posts, read 1,251,305 times
Maybe I live in some weird bubble, but folks here definitely seem thinner than where I have previously lived, New England by way of DC. And definitely thinner than the "Southern" stereotype. Is it on par with many places in CA... nope? But, better than many.

My workplace is about 30% overweight 70% healthy weight.

When we first moved here, we absolutely noticed how in-shape all our neighbors were. We wondered if it is because of the high level of education of the population, or the fact that we can be outside most of the year.

In fact, I moved here with about 10-15 lbs. of pudge that I was able to hide as I wore more clothes up North. I quickly lost it just by doing stuff outdoors.

Maybe all your "statistics" are recent transplants?

Old 12-27-2009, 02:35 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
according to that website posted by darkside of the moon, the obesity rate for Wake County is 26.6%; about on par with the national average though slightly higher. The highest obesity rate in New England (excluding the sparsely populated counties in northern Maine) is around 27%...so I would think it would be logical to say Wake County has higher obesity rates than most of New England; but it is definitely much less obese than most of NC and most of the South.

Old 12-27-2009, 02:39 PM

124 posts, read 326,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_Sobchak View Post
Not true.

Besides, James Taylor is from Carrboro. He can afford to have his chauffeur shuttle him to Bojangles up to four times per day. Yet, according to most sources, he is underweight by anywhere from four to eleven pounds. The same applies to actor Michael C. Hall ('Dexter"), singer Clay Aiken and countless others. Yet, despite these outliers, on average, our residents are sadly rotund.

And James Taylor, Clay Aiken and Michael Hall can also afford private chefs and personal trainers. And it is probably part of their job (at least Michael Hall) to maintain a certain physique. Again, not rocket science.

If you're attempting to somehow answer your own question and/or sound like you actually had a point besides being judgmental... keep trying.

Old 12-27-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadowNC View Post
And James Taylor, Clay Aiken and Michael Hall can also afford private chefs and personal trainers. And it is probably part of their job (at least Michael Hall) to maintain a certain physique. Again, not rocket science.

If you're attempting to somehow answer your own question and/or sound like you actually had a point besides being judgmental... keep trying.
Private chefs can't stuff healthy foods in your mouth. Personal trainers won't throw you in a swimming pool. Sure, the above-metioned people are celebrities, but, it's not like they are getting fit for a "role"; they are singers.

Leading a healthy lifestyle is a personal decision, available to most people, even those in this bewilderingly paunchy region.

Old 12-27-2009, 04:19 PM

574 posts, read 1,208,647 times
Wait...wha?? Y'all gave this 5 pages of conversation? Now that's bewildering.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 12-27-2009 at 04:30 PM..

Old 12-27-2009, 05:12 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,217,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_Sobchak View Post
Not true.

Doesn't James Taylor actually live near Pittsfield, MA? There aren't a lot of places to eat up there.

I've seen Clay Aiken eat-that one must have a fast metabolism!

I've visited Raleigh several times and did not notice any more obesity there than in supposedly 'fit' Connecticut-apparently the people that write up these obesity studies haven't been to the HomeTown Buffet in Waterbury

Old 12-27-2009, 05:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,242 times
It is the proverty of the south. Many do not or were not brought up with healthy choices, that were reinforced by their parents. Healthcare is very poor in the south, as well. I went to school in the somewhat south, and I could not believe the stark difference in traditional beliefs and acceptance of others. My father is an Italian immigrant, yet he taught us to eat healthy, so I feel alot of the education and health problems in the south are due to one's upbringing; Of course this does not include every southern individual. The poorer the area, and lack of education the greater the obesity, drug problems, crime (whether inforced or not), health problems are going to be. Just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary