Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 11:14 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,156,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf_Rocks View Post
But they are here to protect us from others!
exactly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 11:03 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
i say if you have to serve black people and interracial couples and gay couples because the law mandates it, and can't have blocked fire exits, nude customers, vermin running around....you can be forced to not have deadly smoke flowing around your establishment. if you don't like it, find a different line of work and have your friends come over to your home for a beer and a cigarette. there's lots of people who whine about freedom, but this is one instance where i'm happy to see the community (represented by the lawmakers) assert their will over the inconsiderate minority. i am purposely avoiding places with smoking until next week. i can afford to wait.
And as you stated, you are avoiding places with smoking--so if it were left up to the establishment, the free market would decide whether places that allow smoking lose their business (and thus have to ban smoking or else close down) or whether there would be a critical mass of smokers + non-smokers who don't care to keep them in business. I generally prefer to let the market decide--lots of place would ban smoking anyway, especially if it began hurting their business, but other places might see increased businesses from smokers had fewer options and from property-rights supporters.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:06 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Going out often, I have noticed that a lot of restaurants ask if you want smoking or non smoking. I always go non smoking. However, lots of the time, the hostess will say that there is room in smoking but non smoking is a 30 minute wait. I wonder...since it appears that more people WANT non smoking, why did the restaurant have smoking in the first place? Does it make sense to keep 10 people waiting when there are empty seats in an area that no one wants to sit in?

I think restaurant owners have been afraid of ticking off the smokers but now that a ban is in effect, they can just blame it on the gov't.!!!

Vicki

Old 01-05-2010, 11:34 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,156,880 times
^many, many restaurant/bar owners have said just that.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:39 PM

116 posts, read 366,688 times
I think where smoking ran into its problems is it is not only harming the other customers at a restaurant/bar (who choose to be there), it is also harming the wait staff (who have a right to work).

For cigar bars and such, a large percentage of their income is directly related to smoking. So employees should expect to work in a smoking environment.

For normal bar/restaurant, very little or no income is directly related to smoking. So employees should not expect to work in a smoking environment.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:26 PM

321 posts, read 531,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plf86000 View Post
So when they ban drinking alcohol at a bar, you have to accept that you already gave up your rights. The government isnt here to protect us from ourselves.
Oh, they're not going to ban drinking, any more than they've banned smoking. They'll ban drinking and then fumbling and pawing all over people as the drunks stumble out of the bar, invading other people's space, breathing down their necks, crashing their cars into other people... hey wait those are already banned!

Apples to apples.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:27 PM

321 posts, read 531,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Gotta watch out for that second hand drinking!
I've done it I am not proud.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:11 PM

814 posts, read 2,006,289 times
I am just happy I get to go to Waffle House again. I love a good greasy breakfast there every now and again, but it got to be not worth walking through the wall of smoke to get to the two seat nonsmoking section, and then having to go home and take a shower.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:28 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,859,127 times
What towns in NC don't have bans against smoking in restaurants? I hadn't given it any thought when I started considering moving as here in AZ the smoking ban was implemented over a decade ago so we take it for granted. I have asthma so I can't be around smoke thus would be nice to know what cities to avoid otherwise I would never be able to go out anywhere.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:51 PM

542 posts, read 1,524,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
What towns in NC don't have bans against smoking in restaurants? I hadn't given it any thought when I started considering moving as here in AZ the smoking ban was implemented over a decade ago so we take it for granted. I have asthma so I can't be around smoke thus would be nice to know what cities to avoid otherwise I would never be able to go out anywhere.
It is a statewide ban.

Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary