Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 04:35 AM

170 posts, read 774,166 times

Advertisements

What are some of the major differences between Cary, NC and Brier Creek Area? (anything you can think of, this is a freebie for all to answer). Roomate and I are kinda stuck between the two areas. We are going to do an apartment first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 04:50 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,598,158 times
Brier Creek is north of the airport. Cary is south of it.

Cary is an actual city. Brier Creek is a . . . . .ummm....I guess you could say it's a shopping "mall" with housing added around the edges.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:44 AM

1,877 posts, read 5,342,397 times
Yep, pretty much what I was going to say. Brier Creek is a neighborhood/shopping center and Cary is a "town".

Old 12-28-2009, 07:35 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,092,775 times
Brier Creek a shopping plaza, not a mall, with housing around it. The stores are separate buildings and were built to look a little bit like they are stores in a small town on streets.

Cary is pure suburbia surrounding a small-town downtown. Cary has people of all types, but I think of it as a town of young families.

Brier Creek also has people of all types, but I think of it as an area of younger singles who have moved there from elsewhere. Brier Creek didn't exist a few years ago. I remember when there was nothing there but fields. Now people talk about it like it is a town. It may have more apartments and condos per capita than Cary has.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:36 AM

170 posts, read 774,166 times
Thanks for the input. What is preferrable when it comes to living? We are in the Sandy Springs (Atlanta) area now where its considered "live, work, and play" and we are loooking for a neighborhood that is comprable. Young 30's, plenty to do like shop and eat and movies. We work from home.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:49 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,092,775 times
You need to visit both areas to find out which works for you.

Shopping and eating (especially eating) is convenient at Brier Creek. Southpoint Mall is not far away, with plenty of shopping.

In Cary, there are plenty of restaurants, and there is Cary Town Center and the Crossroads shopping center (I think that's what it's called).

Brier Creek is actually in Raleigh and is next to the Durham border.

Cary is its own town.

I would prefer Cary. I've never understood the lure of Brier Creek, but Brier Creek might be exactly what you're looking for. A good friend of mine lives there, and she loves it. She's a very active, single, 40-something.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:56 AM

1,877 posts, read 5,342,397 times
Brier Creek is a bit more central to everything and not as family oriented as Cary so that may work better for you. You can get to downtown Durham and Duke area in 15 minutes for restaurants, the DPAC for Broadway shows and concerts, and Durham Bulls. You would also be about 15 minutes Southpoint Mall and other restaurants in SW Durham, and about the same or a bit more to Crabtree Mall in Raleigh. And obviously Brier Creek has plenty of shopping, restaurants, and movie theater right there.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:01 AM

68 posts, read 285,762 times
I would recommend Brier Creek for singles who work in RTP. I would recommend Cary for families.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:39 AM

238 posts, read 669,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApostolicFlightAttendant View Post
Thanks for the input. What is preferrable when it comes to living? We are in the Sandy Springs (Atlanta) area now where its considered "live, work, and play" and we are loooking for a neighborhood that is comprable. Young 30's, plenty to do like shop and eat and movies. We work from home.
My wife and I are in a similar situation. We rent in Brier Creek right now and love it. It is extremely convenient. We can walk to shops, food, grocery, movies, bars, etc. It is also close to the airport if you are flying often.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:35 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,146,728 times
I'm not too up on the places to be single, but I have a single friend who lives in this apartment complex and it seems like one of the most social I've ever seen. She tells me tales of lots of spontaneous gatherings. The Lodge at Crossroads Apartments in Cary, NC
It's very close to shopping and eating, though traffic at Crossroads can be a little challenging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary