Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 09:10 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,870,575 times

Advertisements

Great advice - esp traffic! My philosophy is the same - don't worry about things you can't control.
OP - although, I don't think you are worrying, you are just irritated with your experience to date. I am sorry you aren't happy about living here. But if you'll consider that many ppls are, there must be some good things worth seeking out. Pls give it a try, and don't compare to where you came from..always a fatal mistake as you get stuck in that cycle - can't see the forest for the trees! I have found some of the kindest, most generous ppl here. I grew up in a big bustling city, and it took me no time to get used to the pace here, it's way less stressful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
I never noticed any substantially slower pace here from my hometown in western NY.

I had a doctor who made us wait an hour every time. I switched doctors and wait no longer than 20 minutes now. A half hour is no big deal. Enjoy the magazines.

As far as slow response in ERs and universities -- I don't think the South is alone in that.

You must have been in a place with far fewer people. There are a lot of people here.

I did tell a visiting friend yesterday that this place has taught me patience -- mostly with traffic. It does absolutely no good to worry about things you cannot control.

Everywhere has its pros and cons. Take a deep breath and realize you're not in Oz -- or the Midwest -- anymore. Eventually you'll adapt. (Good luck!)

Old 01-01-2010, 09:48 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
I am blessed that my family is quite healthy so we do not go to the doctor's often. However, we do go for yearly physicals and I have noticed that the wait time is LESS than in the past. I've also noticed more doctor offices have a sign that says "Please let us know if you have been waiting longer than 20 minutes". I've never had to let them know!

Last year, we went with daughter's friend to the Wake ER on Falls of the Neuse Road. We were treated like royality and no one was even in the ER!

I'm with the poster that suggested you call ahead and see if the doctor is running late. However, you have no control over the ER.

Vicki

Old 01-01-2010, 10:45 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
I learned a long time ago that when the cashier at the grocery store is snarling and nasty, it wasn't something I did so no need to take it personally. However, I also enjoy saying something nice to that cashier in hopes that it will turn HER DAY around. It usually works!

If this is the Southern Way, then it is just another reason that I'm happy to be a sourtherner!!!

To the OP, I'm sure you were in a situation that caused concerns and worries so if that situation occurs again, as another poster suggested, take a deep breath, understand the situation is out of your control and try not to get too worked up over it.

Vicki

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 01-01-2010 at 11:21 AM.. Reason: Deleted quoted text

Old 01-01-2010, 11:18 AM

122 posts, read 288,507 times
OK, everybody, I get it. Sorry I even posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary