Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2009, 04:12 PM

321 posts, read 880,280 times

Advertisements

This was posted today on Craigslist and I just saw the story on the news......I hope anyone who knows anything about who did this will contact this family. You can check out thier Craigslist post under Community/Pets. A terrible, awful thing for anyone to endure, especially at the holidays!

A member of our family (Monster) was killed 2 days ago by someone with a shotgun. He was in the fenced (electronically) area of his own yard when someone came through the woods behind our house and MURDERED him. Our family is devastated. The story is going to be on ABC 11 News (wtvd-TV Raleigh-Durham, NC - http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/channel?section=news/local&id=7102631) tonight at 5:30 PM. Please watch and see the story...we want to have something good come from the death of our beloved pet...He's the black lab in the pictures...the first one is my wife and Monster, the second one is Monster (Black Lab) with his mother Daisy (chocolate lab behind him), his brother Rootie (chocolate lab along side him), and his father Junior (yellow lab on the left). We all miss him very much...he was such a sweet and loving dog...

We live in a residential subdivision. Our house borders farm land and a swampy creek.

Old 12-31-2009, 04:22 PM

892 posts, read 3,161,189 times
Just awful. Gotta say that Mr. Stevens is spot on that families, kids and pets of course included, should be able to enjoy their properties without fear of being shot at or killed.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:19 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,211,281 times
Never a shortage of slime in this world is there?

Well remember it's "only a dog" (Vick apologists' defense) so even if this sub-human is caught they'll likely get little more than a fine. Isn't our touchy feely society great? It's worked so well.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:27 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,679,104 times
Shocking and tragic. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:03 AM

450 posts, read 1,553,706 times
I think it's terrible that this family lost their dog. Dogs are not only pets, but members of the family. It's always heartbreaking to read a story like this.

BUT, this is an argument against electronic fences. The OP says that the dog was in an electronically fenced area, meaning that it's totally possible that the person walking out of the woods saw this dog coming at him and was just defending himself. I truly hope that this is the case and not that someone just shot the dog for some other reason.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:23 AM

321 posts, read 880,280 times
Fence or not, no one should be walking that close to a residential area with a gun. If you're hunting, you should be a safe distance from ANY homes. Since this was a shotgun, the person had to have been pretty close. And the dog was killed INSIDE the property line. And it was a Lab. My family has raised, shown and hunted with the breed for years. Labs are one of the most even tempered, loving, non-aggressive breeds. And lastly, if it WAS a case of self defense, the person should have stayed there to explain to the owners what happened. The person that killed this dog obviously ran off fast. No excuse whatsoever......

Old 01-01-2010, 08:27 AM

770 posts, read 2,753,866 times
A terrible event, I am a dog lover and can empathize with the owner. I would say though that murdered is a strong inappropriate word - killed or slaughtered yes but you can't murder a dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalnc View Post
This was posted today on Craigslist and I just saw the story on the news......I hope anyone who knows anything about who did this will contact this family. You can check out thier Craigslist post under Community/Pets. A terrible, awful thing for anyone to endure, especially at the holidays!

A member of our family (Monster) was killed 2 days ago by someone with a shotgun. He was in the fenced (electronically) area of his own yard when someone came through the woods behind our house and MURDERED him. Our family is devastated. The story is going to be on ABC 11 News (wtvd-TV Raleigh-Durham, NC - http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/channel?section=news/local&id=7102631) tonight at 5:30 PM. Please watch and see the story...we want to have something good come from the death of our beloved pet...He's the black lab in the pictures...the first one is my wife and Monster, the second one is Monster (Black Lab) with his mother Daisy (chocolate lab behind him), his brother Rootie (chocolate lab along side him), and his father Junior (yellow lab on the left). We all miss him very much...he was such a sweet and loving dog...

We live in a residential subdivision. Our house borders farm land and a swampy creek.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:28 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,832,878 times
Sorry -- this isn't the place to discuss electronic fences, guns in residential areas or specific breeds of dogs. As the OP suggested in the opening post, if anyone has any information on this situation, please contact the authorities. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary