Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 03:21 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times

Advertisements

My point was not how cold it will be , but that
Unrealistic Cold makes no sense at all.

It is like they took the slang saying "unreal"
and tried to build on it LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 03:21 PM

4,596 posts, read 6,427,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I am not sure what unrealistic cold is??
Who writes this stuff ?

http://http://www.wral.com/weather/story/6724034/
The fact that it is occurring and has occurred before here makes the term "unrealistic" a misnomer.

Old 01-02-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Good one. I think a better word would have been "Unusual".

Much better!!

Old 01-02-2010, 03:38 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,645,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
My point was not how cold it will be , but that
Unrealistic Cold makes no sense at all.

It is like they took the slang saying "unreal"
and tried to build on it LOL
What bothers me is that these people make more money than me. I can write dumb stuff just as good as they can. It's just not fair!

Old 01-02-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
What bothers me is that these people make more money than me. I can write dumb stuff just as good as they can. It's just not fair!
I have had the same thought.

I am just average at grammar, spelling and writing but I could do better than
a lot of the N & O writers. It is hard to follow many of their articles.

Old 01-02-2010, 04:03 PM

I'm not a rocket scientist (wonder how much they make?) but I would say I know my grammar. Years ago in a magazine they wrote an article about how the proper use of grammar was going by the wayside. They had a test of 25 questions in which you picked the correct usage of grammar. Two sentences each, with the incorrect one being taken from a news broadcast or one that was in a newspaper. I passed the test. Got them all right. It just amazed me that some of those were read by newspeople or printed in the paper. And some of them were a hoot and so obvious.

Of course now I am rereading this post wondering where I "messed up".

Old 01-02-2010, 04:55 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
The use of the word "unrealistic" isn't really a grammar issue. The person just used the wrong word.

I agree, however, that proper grammar is going by the wayside.

I was on one contract assignment as a training developer, and a programmer complained to others that my writing wasn't up to par. All of her issues could be found on the Internet under "Myths of Grammar."

My writing was clear, concise, and 100% correct. (I majored in journalism.) Her ideas about writing, as well as her primary school education, were messed up. My immediate supervisor, who knew my writing was excellent, refused to let me defend myself to avoid rocking the boat. He said he learned it was easier on his blood pressure if everyone avoided battles.

Some of the group's previous training materials were full of inconsistencies, grammar problems, misspellings, and illogical phrases. It definitely affected the training outcome. I offered to fix them but was (figuratively) slapped down by the client.

It was at a government agency -- surprise, surprise!

And I don't think it's that cold out. My Southern husband, however, is in shock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
I'm not a rocket scientist (wonder how much they make?) but I would say I know my grammar. Years ago in a magazine they wrote an article about how the proper use of grammar was going by the wayside. They had a test of 25 questions in which you picked the correct usage of grammar. Two sentences each, with the incorrect one being taken from a news broadcast or one that was in a newspaper. I passed the test. Got them all right. It just amazed me that some of those were read by newspeople or printed in the paper. And some of them were a hoot and so obvious.

Of course now I am rereading this post wondering where I "messed up".

Old 01-02-2010, 05:28 PM

I would say it's cold out but my sister pointed out in Chicago where they live the high today was 3. She tells me they are cold and we are cool!

Old 01-02-2010, 05:51 PM

451 posts, read 1,565,638 times
Default Unrealistic Cold or Cold as a Well Diggers butt

This caught my eye, Unrealistic Cold, LOL, never heard that one before. Up here in the High Country it is 9 degrees right now and windy to boot. I saw on the news that Lowes or Home Depot sells foam slider things that you can put on your pipes to keep them warm. We have been lucky and just keep water dripping, but you can wrap blankets around pipes as well. In an old house I had before, I had a private well and my pipes froze, that was a pain, but I put a lamp in there and plugged it in and that seemed to work. If your pipes do freeze, you can use a hair dryer to unfreeze them. Also, if you keep your water hose screwed on to the pipe outside, then unscrew it and take off the hose. I hope everybody in the flat lands stays warm and thinks about us up here where it is really, really cold. Have a great New Year, everybody!

Old 01-02-2010, 06:38 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,188,845 times
It is definitely cold, but I'll take this over Chicago cold any day. My sis is in Chicago and last night her thermometer was reading negative 1. THAT is cold!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary