U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2010, 05:05 PM

8 posts, read 34,316 times

Advertisements

Hi there Tar Heels,

The Hotel California is on fire and burning to the ground as we speak.

My family is escaping and moving to Chapel Hill this Spring and we have a choice of neighborhoods. One is in the East Chapel Hill High School district and the other in Chapel Hill High School area.

Which one is better?

Also which Middle School is best, Phillips or Culbreth?

Lastly, which Elementary School... Estes, Ephesus, or Rashkis?

Thanks Tar Heels

Cali En Fuego ~

Last edited by HotelCaliOnFire; 01-04-2010 at 05:14 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 06:10 PM

1,947 posts, read 5,654,468 times
I think that people who worry about which schools in the district are the "best" are worrying about things way to much. Plunk the demographic for any school in the district into any other district, and people would be crawling all over themselves to get their kids into it.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of having to deal with 15-501 or NC54, so the easy choice for me would be to pick a house within walking distance of Estes and Phillips (which are right next to each other), which would also zone you for East Chapel Hill. My second choice would be a house which zones you for Seawell and Smith (which again are right next to each other), which would also zone you for Chapel Hill High.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:36 PM

Default Thanks Toot68

Hi there Toot68,

Thanks so much for the reply.

In California the difference in public schools, even between those that are close to each other, can be dramatic. Some schools get nearly all of their funding from the State of Cali which is flat broke.

In my district the high school has been forced to cut teachers to the point that there is only 1 teacher for evey 40 students in a class. They have cut the music program, drama, art, and many of the school sports programs as well. Other school districts in the area get funding from the County and other bond measures that have been passed and simply have more resources that make the school a "better" environment for the kids.

I am unfamiliar with how the Chapel Hill Schools work. It sounds like you are much better off than we are here if you have more than one good choice. Great News Indeed!

Thanks for the advice, there are some great houses in both area's you mentioned!

Cali En Fuego ~

Old 01-04-2010, 07:05 PM

9,196 posts, read 23,748,450 times
Chapel Hill schools are like the kids in Lake Wobegon - they're all above average. All 3 high schools are excellent. East is generally considered slightly better than Chapel Hill High.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:13 PM

Default Thanks CH

Thanks for the advice.
Can't wait to get to CH!
Cali En Fuego ~

Old 01-04-2010, 09:14 PM

31 posts, read 91,716 times
If you can afford it............and you really love your kids more than you care about what the Joneses think ...........you should find a home that will put your kids in either: Eastern Alamance or Cedar Ridge high schools............just sayin'......cause you asked. Do you want to protect property values in C.H. or do you want to protect your children?

Old 01-05-2010, 06:17 AM

36 posts, read 100,829 times
We are very lucky here in Orange County that we have a number of excellent high schools, and the other two are very, very good. Like CH said, all are "above average!" You really can't make a bad decision either way.

If one had to rank, I'd say:
E Chapel Hill (not perfect, but has widest opportunity for extra curriculars -- sports are top notch!)
Cedar Ridge (IB program & new facility)
CHHS (I went there...it's a good school...great drama program)
Carrboro (new, more diverse population [good thing!], lags a bit behind other CH schools in testing, but still very good)
Orange HS (poor old Orange...old building but with a great socio-economic diversity, bad press because of the shooting...but still a good school!)

My kids are in the Orange HS district and just entering middle school but will hopefully attend Cedar Ridge because of their International Baccalaureate program. Even if they wind up at Orange, the "worst" in Orange County, they're still at a "good" school. (Remember the Chapel Hill school system and the Orange County school system are separate.)

No worries! You really can't lose here!

Old 01-05-2010, 12:20 PM

Thanks Vallyre
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>