U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 09:13 PM

6 posts, read 17,052 times

Advertisements

I got pulled over the other day doing 55 in a 35 in Chapel Hill. This is my first ticket and I'm just looking for advice... should I get a lawyer or is that over kill? When I go to court, who do I talk to to try to bargain down? Do I find them or wait until I'm called? Please help! Any advice is great!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 09:58 PM
DPK

4,338 posts, read 4,930,039 times
Prayer for Judgement:
http://www.carinsurance.com/kb/content27086.aspx

Old 01-04-2010, 10:05 PM

451 posts, read 1,108,140 times
Usually the DA will need to knock it down to < 9 over and then as suggested you can use prayer for judgement.

I've found getting a lawyer the easiest and in the end it is cost-effective. You'll get lots of mail from lawyers looking for work-

Old 01-04-2010, 10:15 PM

12,470 posts, read 30,534,358 times
Getting an attorney means you don't have to take time off from work to go to court. It also means the attorney can get the ticket knocked down a bit so that your insurance doesn't go up in price. Once your insurance goes up, I believe it stays that rate for 3 years. It is actually less expensive to go ahead and pay the attorney (about $250).

Vicki

Old 01-05-2010, 04:47 AM

4,136 posts, read 10,611,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Getting an attorney means you don't have to take time off from work to go to court. It also means the attorney can get the ticket knocked down a bit so that your insurance doesn't go up in price. Once your insurance goes up, I believe it stays that rate for 3 years. It is actually less expensive to go ahead and pay the attorney (about $250).

Vicki
Vicki is right - get an attorney. My DH got a ticket in Cary last year, going 69 in a 50 mph zone. In NC, you can lose your license for going 15 mph or more over the speed limit. He got a lawyer, the charge was reduced. Cost was $250 and DH never even had to take a day off of work to go to court. No points on his driving records = no increase in auto insurance costs. Your mail will be flooded with letters from lawyers within a day or 2. Pick someone reputable and let them handle it.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:10 AM

306 posts, read 635,561 times
Don't waste a PJC on a speeding ticket if you can get it reduced to less than 10 MPH over the speed limit. You only get one PJC per household every three years. They are better used for stop sign and other such violations, in my opinion. They are not useful for speeding in a school zone. Now slow down.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:16 AM

31,326 posts, read 38,379,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlegrl View Post
I got pulled over the other day doing 55 in a 35 in Chapel Hill. This is my first ticket and I'm just looking for advice... should I get a lawyer or is that over kill? When I go to court, who do I talk to to try to bargain down? Do I find them or wait until I'm called? Please help! Any advice is great!
Get an attorney and realize that 20 over the limit is probably worse in your case. 85 in a 65 in the eyes of some is not as reckless as 55 in a 35. One is highway and the other one probably has pedestrians close by.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:26 AM

6 posts, read 17,052 times
I will definitely be in contact with an attorney .. I admit I made a mistake, it was careless, I simply wasnt paying attention. This is my first ticket so I very much appreciate the advice. Does anyone know a good lawyer? Or one to avoid?

Old 01-05-2010, 08:38 AM

306 posts, read 635,561 times
There is a good chance that if you go to court yourself, you can get the DA to reduce to 9 over, which will avoid insurance increases. If the DA refuses, you can ask for the case to be continued to get time to get a lawyer. If the DA refuses to continue, your case will be heard, and you will lose. There is risk involved.

Having a lawyer keeps you from having to go to court and improves your chances of getting the ticket reduced, but it can certainly be the more expensive route.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:57 AM

2,459 posts, read 7,633,727 times
In the "old days" you could go to court and if you had a clean record the DA would usually give you 9 over to avoid the insurance bump.
Agree that a PFJ is probably best "saved".
The caveat is that my friend who is an independent insurance agent claims that the auto insurance companies are wise to this trick and will still find a way to raise your rates. FWIW - he advises an attorney ... after all it is their sandbox that you're playing in and they get to make the rules.

Frank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary