Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2010, 04:18 PM

45 posts, read 175,232 times

Advertisements

I am moving to NC and can't afford a home in Chapel Hill.

We are looking Weldon Ridge, Cary Park, Cameron Pond, Stonewater areas.

I visited the Mills Park Elem school and the Vice Principle seemed very nice.

Our son is very high functioning but has a current IEP so he gets some help with extra time with tests and reading comprehension.

I have heard back from a few people about how Wake Schools do nothing for ADHD children even with an IEP.

Has anyone out there had a good experence with the schools in Wake County and a child that had an IEP?

I don't want to make a mistake.

Please share your thoughts and experiences...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 09:42 AM

71 posts, read 180,295 times
I think the individual school as well as the teachers will affect your experience. We moved here 3 years ago with an IEP already in place from our school system in CT. We fought long and hard for our son in CT. The schools there were not interested in extending services unless forced to. It was not until we involved a mediator and consulted a lawyer who specialized in education that we were able to get them to act.

Our elementary school here in NC bent over backward to help him as well as performing additional testing that is part of the process here in NC, but not in our old school system. This showed us that he also suffered from an auditory processing disorder. We are now at Heritage Middle, and the support team there are wonderful, and my son has a great staff who are concerned and caring. I cannot speak for other schools within wake county, but the 2 that we have been been exposed to in Wake Forest have been awesome.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:22 PM

932 posts, read 3,097,393 times
My son has ADHD and SPD. He was evaluated by Wake County Schools when he was 4 and we were offered help. We chose to keep him with his current therapists because he had a long standing relationship with them and didn't want to break those bonds. Looking back I wish I would have taken them up on the offer just to get and keep out foot in the door. You should contact Project Enlightenment They are awesome. We don't have an IEP, but my son's teacher is well versed in ADHD and SPD, and has been wonderful. Our experience with WCPSS has been great. Definitely get in touch with Project Enlightenment. They are a great resource. Good luck!

Old 01-07-2010, 01:09 PM

123 posts, read 611,573 times
My son has diagnosed ADHD and I found that the teachers in elementary school are more helpful than in middle school. He has a 504 plan right now, I didn't pursue an IEP. I have found, in my experience , there isn't anything available for middle school kids. Maybe it is just his school. I know of another person that has a son with ADHD that ended up pulling her son out of the same school and home schooling him. I have to keep reminding the teachers to follow the plan - it gets exhausting.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:04 PM

71 posts, read 180,295 times
We chose to request year round at Heritage Middle, rather than have our son go to the base school for our neighborhood. The last year in elementary we were strongly advised against the base school, and told that the services and staff there were not going to be able to give him the support he needed. In terms of services for middle school kids, with an IEP he gets preferential seating, extra testing time, in class resource, and curriculm assistance as his elective. In addition he receives social skill training, and has support staff to work with him should he have problems in his daily comings and goings. I cant imagine that he is the only student there receiving these services. Every parent needs to be the champion for their child, and insist that they have the best education experience possible. Since there is only so much funding and staff to go around, we have found else where that if you don't fight for your child, the services will not be offered up.

Last edited by lnuzzo; 01-07-2010 at 06:24 PM..

Old 01-07-2010, 09:55 PM

1,106 posts, read 3,533,307 times
I don't understand why you would go from Chapel Hill to Raleigh. Is Durham out of the running? As far as accomidations, it really depends on the teacher your child gets, not the school, the principal, or location. That will change year of course. Elementary school is easier to get accomidations mainly b/c teachers deal with a much smaller group of kids while middle and high school teachers see a lot more kids in a day and really it is hard to remember who needs extra time, read aloud, mark in book, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary