Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 08:09 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,209,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsncharms View Post
Can't you get a spray bottle or something? Have you ever gotten hit by a BB gun?
Yes I have. Stung like heck but that's it. No way could I get close enough with a spray bottle. PS tried squirting with water, can't get close enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRhythm View Post
Then you should shoot the neighbor, not the cat. The cat's innocent and doesn't know any better.
Love the idea Not very realistic though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
I should have typed animal control instead of police because animal control in Cary is part of the police dept. In any case, you don't need to shoot animals with BB guns, period. You are as "wrong" as the owners. You pick up the phone and call animal control any time.
In my girlfriend's area there are no cat leash laws - but even if so, what do you expect them to do? I can't prove the cat was in my yard; it could be dismissed as hearsay. Even if they talk to the owner, they'd only resent it. I have tried dealing with jerk neighbors like this more than once and almost every time they just get ticked/snippy vs understanding and correcting their idiotic behavior.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:30 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,209,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
You're not going to "teach" a cat do anything with a BB gun.
Yes you "are." And I did. Cats are very smart. Let's see....I go here, serious stinging pain...I think I'll go elsewhere......it learned

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwilsonbsee View Post
Wow - you know what other group likes to injure animals? Hint: Many of them are known by 3 names (John Wayne Gasey etc). I know for a fact that you could face animal cruelty charges if the police had proof of this. Even cops have to be tasered during training to understand how they affect suspects so perhaps you could try it out yourself. I don't even have a dog in this fight (get the joke?) but I read this and was amazed at the vitriol. It's a freaking outdoor cat people, get over it. Such a shame you have to wash your car every now and then - but guess what? Birds poop on my car too and I don't try to shoot them to try to keep it clean!
Thanks for the insult, very mature of you.

And you can't be serious with this "get over it" bit - so people ignore the laws and the cats are tearing up flowers, pooping/peeing on God knows what, attacking birds - and you solution is get over it? Just let them get away with it? Brilliant plan. Further, I'd bet my last dollar that if people let their dogs roam in your yard and poop on your doorstep and tear up the yard, you wouldn't just "get over it."

What I did worked and did not injure the cat. It just wasn't a touchy/feely solution. "Get over it."

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyhopkins View Post
Lucky for you, you do not live near me! If I ever saw anyone do that they would have to go see a Dr. to have the BB Gun removed from their hind quarters!
I see; so you respond to what you consider excessive use of force by.....threatening someone with assault. PS careful what you wish for. Risking your own health just because a cat has a sore butt is also not brilliant.

68 and others, thx for trying to inject some common sense into this, but as you can see, some people would rather just see red and have a hissy. And yknow what that's fine, I'm not saying my solution is "the" solution, but it worked for me and once more, did not hurt the cat beyond a nasty sting.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:46 AM

69 posts, read 172,641 times
A wandering cat is NOT harmless. One kept on pooping in my yard that had tapeworms! Every time my dog found this cat poop it cost me $40 to get tapeworm meds from the vet! I even told the owners and they didn't care, but thankfully they didn't care enough to bail it out of the pound after the fees started to get big. This is why there should be cat leash laws. The "owners" of tapeworm cat should have treated it and paid for my dog's vet bills (several hundred dollars by the time we got rid of that cat) but they were the typical "it's not my problem" idiot cat owners.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:47 AM

378 posts, read 974,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Yes you "are." And I did. Cats are very smart. Let's see....I go here, serious stinging pain...I think I'll go elsewhere......it learned

Thanks for the insult, very mature of you.

And you can't be serious with this "get over it" bit - so people ignore the laws and the cats are tearing up flowers, pooping/peeing on God knows what, attacking birds - and you solution is get over it? Just let them get away with it? Brilliant plan. Further, I'd bet my last dollar that if people let their dogs roam in your yard and poop on your doorstep and tear up the yard, you wouldn't just "get over it."

What I did worked and did not injure the cat. It just wasn't a touchy/feely solution. "Get over it."

As far as "Mature of me"? you're the one going around shooting cats.
You're right about one thing, if a 60lb dog leaves a big steamer on my doorstep I would be upset. I'd probably call animal control if it continued, not the NRA. When a 6lb cat leaves paw prints on my hood, I wash the car. You sound like you'd be a blast at parties, welcome to my ignore list.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:09 AM

621 posts, read 2,217,901 times
Why would cat owners let their cats roam freely without supervision??? Then again, I ask that same type of question at my neighbor leaving his two labs out in 30 degree weather as well... some people just shouldn't own pets

Old 01-06-2010, 11:19 AM

455 posts, read 1,117,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
My girlfriend has a problem with her next-door neighbor doing this. We don't see as much of them since she got her new dog (who is just dying to have them for lunch) but before that I wasn't above the ol BB gun. Won't kill em but boy I bet that smarts.
There are better ways to handle this situation, other than harming an animal who is harmless to you.

BTW, If you release you dog or hold a BB gun up to me and my cat, I WILL shoot you with my Glock. They are my family, and I will protect my family with lethal force if on my property. My cats are indoors, but they do have a way of running out.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:18 PM

137 posts, read 552,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmboyinNC View Post
There are better ways to handle this situation, other than harming an animal who is harmless to you.

BTW, If you release you dog or hold a BB gun up to me and my cat, I WILL shoot you with my Glock. They are my family, and I will protect my family with lethal force if on my property. My cats are indoors, but they do have a way of running out.
Amen! I just don't have a Glock! Family is Family!

Old 01-06-2010, 01:02 PM

258 posts, read 672,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmboyinNC View Post

defending the life of a cat with deadly force is a good way to go to jail.

You cannot do what you state above without being on the losing side of the law. Also holding a BB gun at a cat is not considered illegal. Pointing it at you maybe, but if you shoot back with a real gun (and first) you will lose.

on a separate point this just goes to show you how silly and extreme people take things nowadays

sad really

Old 01-06-2010, 01:36 PM

137 posts, read 552,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68scout View Post
defending the life of a cat with deadly force is a good way to go to jail.

You cannot do what you state above without being on the losing side of the law. Also holding a BB gun at a cat is not considered illegal. Pointing it at you maybe, but if you shoot back with a real gun (and first) you will lose.

on a separate point this just goes to show you how silly and extreme people take things nowadays

sad really
Actually, in most states shooting a cat with a BB gun is considered animal abuse! And talk about Sad, shooting a poor defenseless kitty cat with a BB gun!

Old 01-06-2010, 01:53 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,829,054 times
Again, folks -- please stick to discussing the topic, not each other. And in case anyone has forgotten, the OP's question was what do you do with your cat -- leave it in, take it out on a leash, or ignore the leash law completely?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary