Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 08:46 AM

181 posts, read 338,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by samdan View Post
ok,here we go.(last post mod,I promise)Because you saw a spot of ice is irrelevant,and in no way an indication of the roads.Nothing happened,last night,we woke up to bright sunshine.Shutting down schools and businesses is not a responsible thing to do,it is irresponsible,and weighs on the system.Is a;ll common sense lost,that people can't use their discretion?These panic knee jerk reactions help no one.I think the DOT should help free our roadways of litter,as ernestly as they prepare for a non event.
This was all Your fault. You Knew this was going to be a Non-event and did Not notifiy everyone. You have to start doing a better job.

Southern VooDoo: prepare for the worst and little to nothing will happen...Do nothing and we are up the creek.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 08:47 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
The thing that makes me laugh is that everyone thinks that people can predict the future.

They can't.

Snow in the South is a different issue than snow in the North. It's better to be safe than sorry.

If (potentially) saves lives.

I remember in Rochester, New York, when the entire city closed down -- everything, schools, businesses, everything. It was a ghost town, waiting for The Big One. It never came. But I think most people understood the wisdom of playing it safe.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:49 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDollie View Post
This was all Your fault. You Knew this was going to be a Non-event and did Not notifiy everyone. You have to start doing a better job.

Southern VooDoo: prepare for the worst and little to nothing will happen...Do nothing and we are up the creek.....
BIG and you are so right.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:33 AM

133 posts, read 331,292 times
I also think there is way too much hype and overreaction over the "chance" of a "dusting to an inch" of snow. You don't overreact because of something that happened once a few years ago. There seems to be almost a "please snow because we love the drama" type of attitude. I was watching NBC 17 this morning and the anchor said.."It was raining in Clayton and the temps are falling; let's talk to our reporter on the scene to check out the icing conditions". His response? "Well, there is no icing and I wouldn't want to panic anyone. It is actually quite nice out and the roads are fine"

This is the forecast on Cape Cod today. Keep in mind they already have a bunch of snow on the ground and this forecast seems very similar to what they were saying here yesterday:

"The National Weather Service is predicting just enough of the white stuff today to cover up those patches of ice you've been able to avoid all week. Up to an inch of snow is possible, the weather service said. By mid-morning snow had begun to fall in the Mid-Cape area and overspread much of southern New England. The steadiest snow confined to coastal Rhode Island and southeast Massachusetts, the weather service said. The high temperature for the Hyannis area will be 33 with a north wind of between 5 and 7 mph, according to the weather service. Slippery road conditions are anticipated this morning with temperatures only in the 20s. The rest of the weekend will remain chilly but partly to mostly sunny with high temperatures near 30 during the day and in the teens overnight. By Monday night a chance of flurries returns, according to the weather service." (that was from the Cape Cod Times)

No mention of cancellations, schools being released early, etc. There is ALREADY snow and ice on the ground there as mentioned. Based on some opinions here, I guess schools would be closed until all the ice is gone.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:25 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPPWUS View Post
I also think there is way too much hype and overreaction over the "chance" of a "dusting to an inch" of snow. You don't overreact because of something that happened once a few years ago. There seems to be almost a "please snow because we love the drama" type of attitude. I was watching NBC 17 this morning and the anchor said.."It was raining in Clayton and the temps are falling; let's talk to our reporter on the scene to check out the icing conditions". His response? "Well, there is no icing and I wouldn't want to panic anyone. It is actually quite nice out and the roads are fine"

This is the forecast on Cape Cod today. Keep in mind they already have a bunch of snow on the ground and this forecast seems very similar to what they were saying here yesterday:

"The National Weather Service is predicting just enough of the white stuff today to cover up those patches of ice you've been able to avoid all week. Up to an inch of snow is possible, the weather service said. By mid-morning snow had begun to fall in the Mid-Cape area and overspread much of southern New England. The steadiest snow confined to coastal Rhode Island and southeast Massachusetts, the weather service said. The high temperature for the Hyannis area will be 33 with a north wind of between 5 and 7 mph, according to the weather service. Slippery road conditions are anticipated this morning with temperatures only in the 20s. The rest of the weekend will remain chilly but partly to mostly sunny with high temperatures near 30 during the day and in the teens overnight. By Monday night a chance of flurries returns, according to the weather service." (that was from the Cape Cod Times)

No mention of cancellations, schools being released early, etc. There is ALREADY snow and ice on the ground there as mentioned. Based on some opinions here, I guess schools would be closed until all the ice is gone.
You are right, there is too much hype. Now if there was more pressing news, then the weather stuff would be displaced. But, considering we don't get the northern type weather, it is a big deal to talk about.

There is one assumption you made (wrongly) and that is that folks are overreacting due to a situation from yrs ago. This is not true. We've had many bad weather situations over the years. We simply don't have the staff and equipment that northern cities have for snow removal so we are bound to handle it differently here.

The shoe will be on the other foot come hurricane and tornado season. Natives are very familiar with the drill, and don't panic. Even long time transplants like me, take it in our stride. But, my neighbors, co-workers and friends from other states, who don't often deal with this stuff, well, they are the ones I see overreacting as they have no idea what to do.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:58 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,754,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPPWUS View Post
Just wondering, do school buses in Mass (or NY or NJ or any of the way we did it up North places) have chains or studded tires or bus drivers that are experienced in driving in the snow and ice? Because down here in the land of the 2 hour delay the buses in my county do not have chains, studs, or a bus drivers who know how to drive in the snow and ice.

It was a little 2 hour delay people!!! Deal with it! It's not like they close school for a whole week. Gees! Talk about drama!

Old 01-08-2010, 03:20 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
Just wondering, do school buses in Mass (or NY or NJ or any of the way we did it up North places) have chains or studded tires or bus drivers that are experienced in driving in the snow and ice? Because down here in the land of the 2 hour delay the buses in my county do not have chains, studs, or a bus drivers who know how to drive in the snow and ice.

It was a little 2 hour delay people!!! Deal with it! It's not like they close school for a whole week. Gees! Talk about drama!
The buses I rode on as a teen in NH didn't have snow tires or chains on them. If you need that kind of equipment to go to and from school someone messed up.

I find it ironic because a lot of folks from the north have come down here, why is there such a fear of snow? My wife refuses to drive in it as well, she learned to drive in FL. As a teen I used to love when it snowed as I could do e-brake drifts around turns in the family wagon. It was so much fun.

At this point, and I haven't been down here long (second winter for me), it just seems the mention of snow is just an excuse to not go to [work, school, etc.] and stay home and watch TV.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:31 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,158,405 times
A degree or two separates rain from black ice.

Buses have no chains.

Was 46 degrees at 2 AM when I went to my gym but some nearby counties had severe ice-related traffic incidents.

Now, if we had rail transit, a lot of folks would have no issues getting to work and school.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:32 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,158,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
The buses I rode on as a teen in NH didn't have snow tires or chains on them. If you need that kind of equipment to go to and from school someone messed up.

I find it ironic because a lot of folks from the north have come down here, why is there such a fear of snow? My wife refuses to drive in it as well, she learned to drive in FL. As a teen I used to love when it snowed as I could do e-brake drifts around turns in the family wagon. It was so much fun.

At this point, and I haven't been down here long (second winter for me), it just seems the mention of snow is just an excuse to not go to [work, school, etc.] and stay home and watch TV.
Ice is the threat, not snow.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:56 PM

194 posts, read 490,591 times
What's up with the "NO RECESS" because it is too cold? I picked my kids up yesterday and they both were sad because they were not able to go outside because it was "too cold"? I looked down at the temp reading on my car and it read 48 degrees...in my opinion that is not too cold...does anyone ice skate or ski in NC????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary