Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2009, 08:57 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,074,227 times

Advertisements

We live in Savannah in Morrisville and our floor plan is super flexible like this. All the houses are 3 story homes. Our floor plan's 3rd floor is 2 rooms and a bath and 2 closets and has a door to fully close it off. We have it as a bedroom and playroom, but it could easily be converted to a mini apartment with a small fridge, oven, and dishwasher.

Also, the master is on the first floor but there's a 2nd floor "suite" with a large bedroom, private bath, and little nook (it's a a turret on a victorian style home); we actually are using this as our master since our kids are young, so the 1st floor master could be a mother in law suite. I always thought this 2nd floor room would make a nice au pair suite, too.

What I love about our house is how flexible it is and should grow with us over the years. I figure I can house my dad if the need ever arises; if it doesn't, when the kids are done with all their toys the playroom can become a media room~
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 08:27 AM

220 posts, read 863,550 times
Also I noticed Colony Park in Durham seemed to have 2 bedrooms in the basement of most homes. They were calling it "in-law" suites. Most of the homes were built in the 60's and are priced 200-300K

Old 06-16-2009, 10:59 AM

36 posts, read 213,762 times
We ran into the same issues of finding a place when we moved here a few years ago. My husband is a builder, so what we ended up doing was adding onto the house we bought for our inlaws. The only thing we share is the laundry room.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,091 times
We moved my Wife's parents in with us about a year ago. We converted some space in our existing home to an in-law suite and built out a small addition to the house for a full bath, closet, and private entrance. We had no problem getting approval from Johnston County. However, finding an existing home with this option is very rare in the county. More popular in the Triangle area. By us the locals just scratch their heads and wonder why we would do such a thing. Well growth is coming our way down I-40 so we believe it will be an investment that will pay off in the future.

Old 02-07-2018, 12:07 PM

8,583 posts, read 15,950,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post

Our part of Raleigh only allows single-family homes (we live in the Falls Lake watershed). In order to build our home, we had to sign a contract stating we would not rent out the apartment. Since we had no intentions of doing so, it was not an issue for us.
Curious about this restriction. If it is a HOA rule and contract that makes more sense than it being a Wake County restriction.

Old 02-07-2018, 12:28 PM

64 posts, read 60,533 times
I found out that Lennar is building a generation home now. It has a full mini apt on main living level. Bedroom sitting room and kitchenette. Look on their website. It will list what areas they are building these in. I think Holly Springs is one and they may possibly be building them in a couple of coming soon communities in Apex and Raleigh.

Old 02-07-2018, 12:34 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,458,291 times
I occasionally see references to MIL suites on Zillow. One recent listing even had a master down and a ff MIL. That would suit me to a tee, but I've quit buying lottery tickets. You have to search for 4 or 5 or more bedrooms.

Old 02-07-2018, 01:06 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,167,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Curious about this restriction. If it is a HOA rule and contract that makes more sense than it being a Wake County restriction.
Someone in my Next-door group also mentioned that you weren't allowed to rent out apartments in your home. I live in a non-HOA neighborhood.

Old 02-07-2018, 01:18 PM

797 posts, read 3,567,581 times
In Durham you sure can. They are called accessory dwelling units (ADUs) and they are all over downtown Durham. They are very happy to permit and allow you to do it if you meet the qualifications (ADU square footage can't be more than 30% of the entire overall house is the main one). You usually see them as basement apartments if within a primary home or above a big 2 car garage if the apartment is not attached to the home. What is required to make an ADU is at least 400 square feet, full bedroom (with proper egress), a full kitchen, a full bath, and its own separate entrance. As long as you meet all that, they will issue you a CO and you can rent out to your hearts content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farebluenc View Post
Someone in my Next-door group also mentioned that you weren't allowed to rent out apartments in your home. I live in a non-HOA neighborhood.

Old 02-07-2018, 01:33 PM

3,286 posts, read 8,521,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDesign View Post
I found out that Lennar is building a generation home now. It has a full mini apt on main living level. Bedroom sitting room and kitchenette. Look on their website. It will list what areas they are building these in. I think Holly Springs is one and they may possibly be building them in a couple of coming soon communities in Apex and Raleigh.
This.

The Lennar "Next Generation" homes which I believe there are two different models (Independence & Liberty) have attached in-law suites. They first started building them in this area about 5-6 years ago so you might even find some resales. In Clayton they have built them in Flowers Plantation, but they're not selling new in that community anymore I don't believe. I'm pretty sure Lennar has built at least one of these models in every single family home community they've started in this region since 2013.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary