Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 03:33 PM

3 posts, read 18,104 times

Advertisements

Hi. We just moved into our newly built home end of 2009 and we still haven't figured out what to do about mirrors over our bathroom vanities. We want framed mirrors and, naively, we thought it'd be no problem to get that so we asked the builder not to put anything in and took a credit for no mirrors. Little did we know this would not be simple. We are looking for mirrors with wood frames that are stained to at least somewhat match the cabinetry in our bathrooms and we haven't found anything already out there, or in Pottery Barn catalogs or on any websites that sell mirrors.

We tried Micheals to get a quote on a custom frame and they said our mirrors are so large (40"H x 36"W is the smallest, one is 55"W) that only a few of their frames (and those weren't wood) were 'rated' to hold mirrors of our size. SO, I think we need to have someone make the frames for us and it's been suggested we try cabinet makers or I suppose a trim carpenter might be ok too? Has anyone had experience with this type of project and if so could you recommend who you worked with? I'm also open to other ideas of ways we could get this. I am just ready to get some mirrors soon!!!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 05:41 PM

206 posts, read 746,717 times
Try the home and decorating forum on city data for a good source of home realted information. I have seen a lot of large mirrors at Home Goods recently. You could also check there. Good luck!

Old 01-09-2010, 05:45 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
I just did this...

Went to Lowes and found unfinished wood molding. Measured the mirror to make sure I had enough of the molding. We purchased 4 pieces of the molding.

Have a friend that can cut wood on an angle, otherwise we would have had to have square edges instead of picture frame edges.

After the wood was cut, we stained them the color that we wanted and then put a poly finish on them.

Once they were dried, we glued them to the mirror.

They look great. I wish we had done this years ago. The cost of all the moldings for two mirrors was about $40. The mirrors were already on the wall.

Vicki

Old 01-09-2010, 05:48 PM

441 posts, read 1,291,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I just did this...

Went to Lowes and found unfinished wood molding. Measured the mirror to make sure I had enough of the molding. We purchased 4 pieces of the molding.

Have a friend that can cut wood on an angle, otherwise we would have had to have square edges instead of picture frame edges.

After the wood was cut, we stained them the color that we wanted and then put a poly finish on them.

They look great. I wish we had done this years ago. The cost of all the moldings for two mirrors was about $40. The mirrors were already on the wall.

Vicki
Thats what we did looks great Try Kirkland, they may have a size that works.

Last edited by dchz1; 01-09-2010 at 06:12 PM..

Old 01-09-2010, 06:13 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,919,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I just did this...

Vicki
Spot on - we did this in our newly finished basement using a very nice 4" wide molding, and a simpler version as a retrofit in our master bathroom upstairs.

One other option is to use a tile surround - we did this in our master bathroom for the very large mirror above the jacuzzi tub to match the bathroom tile and it looks beautiful.

Let me know if you want photos of any/all of these and I'll be happy to post them.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:29 AM

3 posts, read 18,104 times
Thanks. We don't have mirrors on the wall so we are starting from scratch. We've tried Home Goods, Kirklands, Micheal's, AC Moore and just about anywhere else that sells mirrors or frames. We can't find anything already made or readily available in our preferred size. Based on what we learned at Micheals if we want to do it 'right' we need to be sure our frame will hold our large mirrors. So we just want to hire someone to make a frame for us. That way we will be sure the finish work and staining etc is professionally done. Does anyone have a recommendation for someone in this area who does good work? Thanks!

Old 01-10-2010, 08:14 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,919,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboc1212 View Post
Thanks. We don't have mirrors on the wall so we are starting from scratch. We've tried Home Goods, Kirklands, Micheal's, AC Moore and just about anywhere else that sells mirrors or frames. We can't find anything already made or readily available in our preferred size. Based on what we learned at Micheals if we want to do it 'right' we need to be sure our frame will hold our large mirrors. So we just want to hire someone to make a frame for us. That way we will be sure the finish work and staining etc is professionally done. Does anyone have a recommendation for someone in this area who does good work? Thanks!
I think you were missing what some of us were saying. Don't worry about having the frame attached to the mirror. Put the frame in FIRST, get it nicely finished however you want it, then put the mirror inside the frame attached to the wall. Easy and cheap and fully customizable.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:15 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,654,067 times
My thought is to get the size mirrors you want from a glass shop. Then get the crown molding that you want from Lowes or Home Depot. Take a cabinet door off and bring it to the store to have the stain match.

This handyman comes highly recommended: Versatile Edge, LLC | Raleigh, North Carolina, 27615

Old 01-10-2010, 09:32 AM

I didn't "frame the mirror". I already had mirrors on the wall. I put the wood molding (frame) ON THE MIRROR with glue.

But, if you want FRAMED MIRRORS and your vanity is so large (mine is over 5 ft. long) that you want framed mirrors, I have seen in some homes instead of using 2 mirrors, they used 3. One over each sink and then one in the middle.

Also...I have seen LARGE framed mirrors that looked like wood but they were actually plastic. I know, sounds cheap but they actually looked good!

Vicki

Old 01-10-2010, 09:39 AM

Too funny...I'm watching HGTV, "Get It Sold" and they just did a mirror EXACTLY as we are describing. Hurry...it is 11:39 and it will be over at 12 noon!

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary