Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 07:23 AM

478 posts, read 2,045,708 times

Advertisements

I must be going about this wrong, b/c we've had the hardest time! Here's what people have advised me, and the outcome:

- Try the listserve through your subdivision
(Our SD has no listserve with sitters, no organised anything for sitters)

- Try a babysitting service
(We've paid, joined two services and the list they gave us somehow didn't contain any sitters who could take on new families. Or we're finding a bunch of services in Raleigh but the sitters are not willing to drive 'all the way to Cary'. I feel like I am in a dating service hell!)

- Ask at your child's school
(School says they don't refer for such things, that's not their job)

- Check with your child's preschool, sometimes teachers, aides do babysitting on the side
(Pre school strictly forbades their employees to work for families outside the school setting, to 'maintain a professional relationship')

-Ask other mothers
(I've asked moms since we arrived a few months ago but they have all told me, 'oh, we haven't left the children with anyone, we're too nervous, so let us know if you find a good sitter, we will be interested!')

-Search Craigslist 'Childcare' section
(This may still be an option. So far, the women I contacted from Craigslist turned out to be different than who they advertised themselves to be. Not good. But I could continue to read through the ads. Few seem to be for babysitting in one's home, lots of childcare/daycare in other places/homes.)

We're a secular family so church is not a place we'd resource or even be at ever.

Any recommendations? We really want to find a sitting this month and have the children (we have three under five) familiar with her, make this a regular part of our lives.

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2007, 07:27 AM

35 posts, read 106,426 times
I was told that you can call Meredith College and they have a list of girls interested in babysitting. I've never called, but it may be an option.

Old 08-03-2007, 07:32 AM

Ooh, yes, forgot to mention that one! We rang but the girls we contacted who say they are interested in babysitting weren't interested in driving to Cary. Is it that far? I was thinking not, but apparently it is a barrier.

Our pediatrician suggested Meredith College, UNC Chapel Hill, and NC State nursing, early education programmes.

There is a woman who runs a service with girls from Meredith College:

Babysitters in Raleigh, Cary and Wilmington

But it is for Raleigh or Wilmington. I'm concerned we'll get in the same situation with 'Cary is too far'. Also, if the sitter has to come from further away, we pay more. The link above has a rule: 'if driving distance exceeds 2 miles (one way) there will be a 2 hour minimum or a minimum payment of $20'. Since the service is based in Raleigh for Meredith College girls, it's def further than 2 miles.

Last edited by muse1110; 08-03-2007 at 07:46 AM..

Old 08-03-2007, 07:46 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,103,510 times
Is there a pool or swim club in your neighborhood? That's where we found several of ours. I just started walking up to teenage girls at the pool and asking them if they babysat.
I have a 12 year old daughter in Cary who is just starting to babysit and has taken the Red Cross babysitting clas sbut I'm not sure if I would comfortable leaving her with 3 kids under 5 just yet. Otherwise I'd offer her up to you!

Old 08-03-2007, 07:52 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,495,059 times
I'm not a mother, but I've heard others on this forum mention trianglemommies.com.

Maybe they will be able to help you... good luck!

Old 08-03-2007, 07:54 AM

7,573 posts, read 10,618,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muse1110 View Post
I must be going about this wrong, b/c we've had the hardest time! Here's what people have advised me, and the outcome:

- Try the listserve through your subdivision
(Our SD has no listserve with sitters, no organised anything for sitters)

- Try a babysitting service
(We've paid, joined two services and the list they gave us somehow didn't contain any sitters who could take on new families. Or we're finding a bunch of services in Raleigh but the sitters are not willing to drive 'all the way to Cary'. I feel like I am in a dating service hell!)

- Ask at your child's school
(School says they don't refer for such things, that's not their job)

- Check with your child's preschool, sometimes teachers, aides do babysitting on the side
(Pre school strictly forbades their employees to work for families outside the school setting, to 'maintain a professional relationship')

-Ask other mothers
(I've asked moms since we arrived a few months ago but they have all told me, 'oh, we haven't left the children with anyone, we're too nervous, so let us know if you find a good sitter, we will be interested!')

-Search Craigslist 'Childcare' section
(This may still be an option. So far, the women I contacted from Craigslist turned out to be different than who they advertised themselves to be. Not good. But I could continue to read through the ads. Few seem to be for babysitting in one's home, lots of childcare/daycare in other places/homes.)

We're a secular family so church is not a place we'd resource or even be at ever.

Any recommendations? We really want to find a sitting this month and have the children (we have three under five) familiar with her, make this a regular part of our lives.

TIA!
How about one of the high schools in town? Some high schools have child care programs where the kids are also CPR certified.....just a thought. Jeannie

Old 08-03-2007, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Is there a pool or swim club in your neighborhood? That's where we found several of ours. I just started walking up to teenage girls at the pool and asking them if they babysat.
I have a 12 year old daughter in Cary who is just starting to babysit and has taken the Red Cross babysitting clas sbut I'm not sure if I would comfortable leaving her with 3 kids under 5 just yet. Otherwise I'd offer her up to you!
Aw, thanks! I know that 3 under 5 is daunting, and it does requires someone who really has stamina and likes kids.

I've watched babysitters at our SD pool with great interest, thinking they might be an option. For whatever reason, they haven't been quality. 19 year olds looking very bored, yawing a lot, thumb in mouth not watching their charge....or having long flirty chats with the boys at the pool. I saw a 2 year old fall into the adult pool yesterday and his two babysitters didn't even notice! Another mom had to help. So I haven't been impressed to hire who I've seen so far.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctribucher View Post
I'm not a mother, but I've heard others on this forum mention trianglemommies.com.

Maybe they will be able to help you... good luck!
Thank you! I will post over there/read. I forgot about trianglemommies message board, good suggestion.

Old 08-07-2007, 01:50 PM

22 posts, read 131,307 times
Try a website called Sittercity. You do have to pay for it but it's been well worth it. You type in your zip codes and you can find sitters in your area. There are profiles, background checks, reviews from other parents etc. You can also post jobs and sitters will apply. Then its up to you to interview them and pick the ones you like best. They are all over 16 or 17 and the majority of them have their own transportation. We've had nothing but great sitters from the site.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:05 PM

1,495 posts, read 3,720,703 times
I would be interested in helping out. I'm a regular to the forum and Raleigh - I'm married and in my 40's - love kids and have helped out my friends with kids for years.
Maybe if you could help out with gas money? - I'm not doing it for money but I have a lot of free time and it would be a good use of it.
You can PM if you would like - I helped with organizing both the meet-up's.
I'm Donna Webster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary