Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 10:33 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times

Advertisements

I think my neighbor has bought from them before..I'm going to have to ask her!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 01:19 PM

862 posts, read 3,548,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
This never happens in Durham.

Not true. We had some guys in a truck offer their meat for sale in our SW Durham neighborhood this past summer. I don't know if they were the same people in Cary.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:45 PM

814 posts, read 2,006,289 times
I think we are talking about two different things, aren't we? There are some legit bulk food sales operations (Horizon, Schwan's come to mind) that sell bulk food, including meat, door to door. I have neighbors that use them and swear by them.

But I think you are talking about just some guys selling meat from knows where out of the back of a truck?

Ewwwww......

Old 01-13-2010, 02:18 PM

492 posts, read 1,151,612 times
I won't even buy meat at Food Lion or Walmart. Why would anyone buy meat in a strapped down fridge in the back of mini pick up truck?

Old 01-13-2010, 02:24 PM

56 posts, read 197,982 times
We lived in OK for a while and this was actually pretty standard....door to door meat sales. Good quality stuff. They did have licenses and permits to sell the stuff though.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:36 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usedtobe VaNC View Post
I think we are talking about two different things, aren't we? There are some legit bulk food sales operations (Horizon, Schwan's come to mind) that sell bulk food, including meat, door to door. I have neighbors that use them and swear by them.

But I think you are talking about just some guys selling meat from knows where out of the back of a truck?

Ewwwww......
The guys I think we're all talking about (at least I am) are not from places like Schwanns's. They are literally a couple of guys driving a beat up pick up truck around with a freezer hooked up in the back!

Old 01-13-2010, 02:39 PM

814 posts, read 2,006,289 times
Quote:
The guys I think we're all talking about (at least I am) are not from places like Schwanns's. They are literally a couple of guys driving a beat up pick up truck around with a freezer hooked up in the back!
I agree that that is what the OP was talking about. But I was saying that some others were confusing that with the Horizon/Schwan's type trucks......which is a totally different things.

Old 01-13-2010, 04:17 PM

376 posts, read 1,061,885 times
Yeah, the guy who came to my neighborhood had either a van or a truck - can't remember. But it was unmarked, which I thought wasn't confidence-inspiring!

Old 01-16-2010, 12:00 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Addicts sold shoplifted meat on NYC streets. Crazy to buy it because who knows the sanitary conditions under which the meat was kept after it was stolen.

It also might have been "keistered" out of the store. (A prison term involving someone's tush).

Avoid such unknown sellers.

Old 01-16-2010, 02:53 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Addicts sold shoplifted meat on NYC streets. Crazy to buy it because who knows the sanitary conditions under which the meat was kept after it was stolen.

It also might have been "keistered" out of the store. (A prison term involving someone's tush).

Avoid such unknown sellers.
The only thing I can even think to say to that comment is EWWWWWWWWWW!

Although I see no reason to buy meat from a guy in a truck...wouldn't cooking it kill any and all "germs" no matter where the guy kept it?!!

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary