Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 05:58 AM

376 posts, read 1,061,885 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know which areas of Lochmere have been hit by these recent burglaries? It's so creepy that the crimes take place when homeowners are home and asleep. Police were patrolling all over last night in the area. I'm thankful for their presence. I hope they catch these creeps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 06:15 AM

770 posts, read 2,753,178 times
From my experience some burglars like to operate at nighttime because
A) They know where you are and are not likely to be surprised by you
b) You are usually unprepared whereas they are ready for a confrontation or to make an escape
c) They have cover of darkness within which to operate

Some prefer to steal small expensive items which they may hide on your property or nearby and come back for later when less chance of being stopped by police

Old 01-13-2010, 02:53 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
Where about in Lochmere was this? We lived in Highlands West about 10 years ago (WOW!)...definitely never had any burglaries in our neighborhood back then; at least not that I'm aware of.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:36 PM

476 posts, read 1,676,284 times
Default Break-ins

I'm not sure if Town of Cary's Crime Mapping shows these specific events, but there is some data posted ont ehir website in that general area. That site (very interesting to look at anyway) is: Cary Map - Crime Data

WRAL reported that the first home burglarized was accessed through an unlocked garage door. That is a good reminder to be sure to not only lock any outside doors from the garage, close the garage, but to also lock the door between the garage and your home!

If you keep garage door openers in any cars that are not parked inside the garage the car needs to be locked too, as obviously, that gives them access to the opener.

That is all very common sense, and most of us wise readers already do all of those things, right? I did get a really interesting email recently that had (what I thought was a) GREAT IDEA! Here is some text from that email - I will share, much larger audience than my email distribution & maybe it will help someone...

"Put your car keys beside your bed at night.

Tell your spouse, children, neighbors, parents, your Dr's office, the check-out girl at the market, everyone you run across.. Put your car keys beside your bed at night. (Cell phone too!)

If you hear a noise outside your home or if there is someone trying to get in your house, just press the panic button for your car. The alarm will be set off, and the horn will continue to sound until either you turn it off or the car battery dies. This tip came from a neighborhood watch coordinator.

Next time you come home for the night and you start to put your keys away, think of this:

It's a security alarm system that you probably already have and requires no installation. Test it. It will go off from most everywhere inside your house and will keep honking until your
battery runs down or until you reset it with the button on the key fob chain. It works if you park in your driveway or garage.

If your car alarm goes off when someone is trying to break into your house, odds are the burglar/rapist won't stick around. After a few seconds, all the neighbors will be looking out their windows to see who is out there and sure enough the criminal won't want that."

Sounds logical to me!

But always lock your doors, and be sure the garage is closed. Doesn't work in all situations, obviously if a bad guy wants in they will likely find a way. Some of these burglaries in Lochmere could have even broken doors, but if they have to break glass or kick in a door you will likely hear them. These guys are sneaking in quietly and leaving without anyone knowing they have been.

Don't become an easy target...

Old 01-13-2010, 04:07 PM

I just read on WRAL that it's the Highlands neighborhood.
Cary police 'aggressively investigating' home burglaries :: WRAL.com

There has been a heavy police presence there in the last few days. Gonna catch those fu@&ers! Don't mess with our 'hood!

Old 01-13-2010, 04:46 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,187,022 times
They said 2 homes didn't have the side doors to the garage locked. Not sure about the third. I'm shocked that people would leave those doors open and locking the door to the house isn't common sense. One person said she thought her dogs might have been drugged because they didn't bark. I'm guessing that's not likely.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:39 PM

They were bassett hounds. The breed is getting bad press... Poor doggies.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:39 PM

645 posts, read 1,502,835 times
maybe its time for most in the neighborhood to get out their shot guns. unlock the side garage door and load said shot gun and wait till the moron decides to walk in the unlocked door while said neighbor is sitting in the garage.

Man I am sick and tired of good people living in fear. Take back our neighborhoods. We can and will overcome these scum.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:23 PM

476 posts, read 1,676,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt chill View Post
maybe its time for most in the neighborhood to get out their shot guns. unlock the side garage door and load said shot gun and wait till the moron decides to walk in the unlocked door while said neighbor is sitting in the garage.

Man I am sick and tired of good people living in fear. Take back our neighborhoods. We can and will overcome these scum.

Good idea - set up a sting. Sting them in the backside as they run screaming like little girls into the night!

It is ridiculous that people work so hard and guys like that just stroll in and take whatever they want. Their luck WILL run out eventually. Unfortunately, in this day & age they or their families would sue the homeowner!

I have this vague recollection about 2 years ago some guy out in the NC countryside repeatedly got robbed and came home one day to find two guys loading his equipment into their truck. Apparently he rammed their truck or something and one of the robbers jumped out & ran & got smooshed (technical term!) between the homeowner's pick-up and the fence & the robber & his family were trying to sue the homeowner for damages!!! Anyone remember that? UNBELIEVABLE! Whatever happened to him?

If it were up to me, the minute if you are caught in the act of committing a crime you lose your right to complain about anything that happens to you because of it.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:41 PM

645 posts, read 1,502,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooks2007 View Post
Good idea - set up a sting. Sting them in the backside as they run screaming like little girls into the night!

It is ridiculous that people work so hard and guys like that just stroll in and take whatever they want. Their luck WILL run out eventually. Unfortunately, in this day & age they or their families would sue the homeowner!

I have this vague recollection about 2 years ago some guy out in the NC countryside repeatedly got robbed and came home one day to find two guys loading his equipment into their truck. Apparently he rammed their truck or something and one of the robbers jumped out & ran & got smooshed (technical term!) between the homeowner's pick-up and the fence & the robber & his family were trying to sue the homeowner for damages!!! Anyone remember that? UNBELIEVABLE! Whatever happened to him?

If it were up to me, the minute if you are caught in the act of committing a crime you lose your right to complain about anything that happens to you because of it.

Yes it happened I think in Clayton, But seriously the criminals THINK we are afraid! I for one am street wise lived in Newark Nj for 20+ years worked in mean city streets for almost 30 years. Very Street wise and not afraid of these punks. We all should be out and looking in our neighborhhods all the time. Lock up your homes open the shades at night turn on lights and LOOK!!! You see something call the police or make it known you are WATCHING THEM!!!

Lets take back our communities. Screw these arses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary