Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 01:39 PM

770 posts, read 3,680,813 times

Advertisements

I looked at homes in Knightdale, Garner and Clayton myself. Knightdale just didn't seem to offer enough land for my money. I did look at a development which I LOVED Dayton Woods in Garner, the area around it seemed nice as well...however the middle school was North Garner and I wasn't so thrilled about what I have read and researched about that school. That led me to Clayton. Clayton you get more land and house for your dollar, at least right now. The schools all have great ratings, there was only one elementary school that had low ratings in Clayton, however Selma and Smithfield has some elementary schools that were rated 4 out of 10 and 3 ouit of 10. Maybe that is what you realtor is talking about? I sat down and looked at the communities I was interested in Clayton then found out what schools they were assigned to. I have at least 10 developments that I am going to be checking into that are in great school districts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2007, 06:22 PM

8 posts, read 29,449 times
Thank you all for you thoughtful feedback. You have confirmed my suspiscions that my agent is at least a little bit biased. We will definmitely be looking at Holly Springs, and especially Clayton after reading several of the other threads on Glayton/East Garner/

While we search we hope to stay in a hotel /extended stay facilty (furnisghed as our belongings are in storage. Any recomendations om reasonable furnished accomodations for 1-3 months?

Old 05-25-2007, 09:16 PM

850 posts, read 3,625,969 times
I also wanted to add my "school" experience as well. My 2 sons go to River Dell Elementary in Clayton. My older son was in a Wake County school for 6 months and had a horrible time of it...they were talking about not passing him to the 2nd grade. He hated school, lots of bad experiences. Lo/behold, we get to Clayton and he's at the top of his class, loves school and his teacher, etc.

This is NOT to trash Wake County schools as I'm sure there are many good ones and many great teachers....BUT to defend a misconception about Johnston County schools. And to share our experience.

I am constantly "oozing" about how much I love our school. After being so worried, it is such a relieving feeling to know my son loves learning again.

Plus my younger son qualified for early childhood intervention, called the EC (Exceptional Child) program in Johnston County. Aside from the process taking longer than I liked, it was a wonderful experience and my son (who has a borderline learning delay) is excelling in school. He'll go on to regular Kindergarten next year with them consulting 30 minutes a week to make sure he stays on target (and to help him meet that goal). So I can attest to the quality of these services as well.

Lauren

Old 09-18-2007, 01:39 PM

9 posts, read 29,054 times
Hi all, we're also thinking about moving to raliegh/durham area and i'm slightly skeptical of the posts that mention someone kids can struggle badly in one school and be at the top of class on another.. what does that exactly mean?.. first off, by no means am i putting down anybody's child because i have 2 year and another on its way so i undrestand the sensitivity..

i am wondering though whether a child's academic stuggles were due to the curriculum or with environment(teachers, facilities, other students)?.. i'm really hoping its the environment because if not then one might percieve the new school's curriculum as easier(?).. of course a proper environment definitely promotes learning but, on the other hand, i feel that in many cases talent will always shine no matter the situation(that's just my opinion)..

i have a nephew in highschool that went to decent school in nj and moved down to durham last year..he's about an average student in nj but he is near top in his class in his new school.. haven't had a conversation with him yet regarding his school but im curious.. im not complaining at all and im glad he's doing well enough to get into a good college.. but again, i dont exactly know what this indicates -- supportive learning envirionment or an "easier" curriculum

school is definitely a main priority for us.. im not looking for Genius SEementary school but it would be comforting to know that the children's learning level are at what they should be or above.. im probably overreacting a bit but opinions are welcome

Old 09-18-2007, 01:58 PM

166 posts, read 664,154 times
If you are looking into Johnston County, I would also highly recommend that you look into the Cleveland School/I-40 and Hwy42 interchange area. It is a beautiful area with excellent schools serving the area. It is also just as convenient as Clayton is to the White Oak shopping district, and is within 15 minutes of downtown Clayton and downtown Smithfield as well. None of the schools, including the high school, serving this area is more than 8 years old. We lived in Wake County for 12 years and my oldest is in high school now, both of my older children are considered to be academically gifted. I am very happy with both of their current academic situations, although I will say that Johnston County approaches these special needs kids in a really different way than Wake County did. If I were going to compare test scores I would probably look into how the SAT and ACT scores compare once the kids are in high school...did they learn what they needed to in order to move on to college?

Old 09-18-2007, 02:27 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Default Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3grls View Post
If you are looking into Johnston County, I would also highly recommend that you look into the Cleveland School/I-40 and Hwy42 interchange area. It is a beautiful area with excellent schools serving the area. It is also just as convenient as Clayton is to the White Oak shopping district, and is within 15 minutes of downtown Clayton and downtown Smithfield as well. None of the schools, including the high school, serving this area is more than 8 years old. We lived in Wake County for 12 years and my oldest is in high school now, both of my older children are considered to be academically gifted. I am very happy with both of their current academic situations, although I will say that Johnston County approaches these special needs kids in a really different way than Wake County did. If I were going to compare test scores I would probably look into how the SAT and ACT scores compare once the kids are in high school...did they learn what they needed to in order to move on to college?
Ditto, this post. Thats the area we are moving to. Off Cleveland road. Good schools with lots of future growth potential.

Old 09-18-2007, 04:23 PM

75 posts, read 301,512 times
Welcome to the area! After being in Wake County, we are enjoying the Cleveland School area.

Old 09-18-2007, 05:47 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,696,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3grls View Post
Hi!

Could you please let me know what zip code that is? Thanks so much!

Old 09-18-2007, 05:54 PM

420 posts, read 1,397,720 times
I'll add to this...we just bought in the Cleveland area of Clayton and are extremely pleased with the schools, neighbors, land, house prices etc...etc. White Oaks is our choice shopping/movie/errands destination and is within minutes drive.

I don't know if the Cleveland area has several zip codes, but the one I know of is 27520. We knew which high school we wanted here (West Johnston), and did our home search with that being the top criteria. We couldn't be happier.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:18 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,696,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priorityonecb View Post
I'll add to this...we just bought in the Cleveland area of Clayton and are extremely pleased with the schools, neighbors, land, house prices etc...etc. White Oaks is our choice shopping/movie/errands destination and is within minutes drive.

I don't know if the Cleveland area has several zip codes, but the one I know of is 27520. We knew which high school we wanted here (West Johnston), and did our home search with that being the top criteria. We couldn't be happier.
Thank you for the zip code info.!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary