Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 01:45 PM

Location: now in Ft. Lauderdale, originally from Buffalo, in process of moving to Raleigh
1 posts, read 3,761 times

Advertisements

My husband has been in Raleigh since Sept. due to job transfer and my 9 yr. old & are are still in Ft. Laud trying to sell the house - with no luck so far. Since he's been there, we're finding out more about the area. Is it true you pay a tax on your car every year and also your dogs? I like the family-oriented area picture I'm getting, but I wonder if I'm expecting too much. I hear the schools are so crowded that the kids don't stay at the same one - is this true? I'm beginning to think maybe not selling the house is some kind of sign that we're not supposed to move! Any comments are appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 01:57 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,331,463 times
Not much is selling in Ft Lauderdale at the moment, so I wouldn't take that as a sign.
As far as the schools go, It depends on where you are, Wake county is having issues with shuffling, rezoning, overcrowding, and year round school debate, but there are many places not in wake but close that are lovely, and a wonderful place to raise a family.
(like the distance from N Lauderdale to Lauderdale, is the distance from Raleigh and Clayton) or Raleigh and Cary. Raleigh's not as big as Lauderdale, and it doesn't take too much looking to find areas that fit all your criteria, no mater what criteria that is. Coming from Lauderdale, I can tell you without a doubt, in my experience NC is a better place to raise a child than FL.
Less traffic, quieter more peaceful settings, scenery, less concrete, and seasons. and polite people. It truly is a world of difference.
In FL our kidscould play outside, but it was not the kind of play outside you really like, it was right outside the house. always nervous of speeding cars, and strangers.
Look at every community you can find, search everywhere, and when you find the one that's right you'll know. But, there are more than enough to choose from.
Let me know if you need pics of anything and I'll see if I can help out.

Old 05-24-2007, 02:00 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,642,682 times
I'll tell you right now that it's nothing like S. FL, and in my opinion S FL is no bargain at all, fiscally and quality of life-wise (I am a Dade County native, parents still live there). Yes there is a Personal Property Tax on your car that is based on its tax value that you pay every year. It decreases as your vehicle depreciates. However, you will pay a lot less in auto insurance and fuel is slightly less expensive here, not to mention homeowner's insurance and property taxes are lower.

School overcrowding here doesn't appear to be close to what it was when I was attending school in Dade County nearly ten years ago (I can't imagine what it's like down there now). My high school was built for 2500 and had about 4000 by the time I graduated. I don't think Wake is quite at that point yet, but the area is definitely growing fast.

S FL is a great example of how not to handle growth (water restrictions, traffic, school overcrowding, etc.), and I hope that the Triangle (as well as other growing areas) can learn from those types of mistakes...sadly, though, it seems it's taking a little too long to catch on.

Old 05-24-2007, 02:08 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,331,463 times
ok, understood.
Crowding is a big problem in Ft Lauderdale, the houses are piled one on top of the other, and there is no room to move. No room to spread out either due to the beach and the everglades, therefore, as more people moved into the area, the houses just got more and more clustered.
I think more of the point of what I was saying was the kids can play in yards, they can play in woods, they can spread out a bit more than down there, where a lot of the times it's patio, or street.
I agree you always must look out for your children and be on guard, but the children themselves are able to be a little more carefree here, which is the the point I was trying to make.
Sorry to give a false impression.

Old 05-24-2007, 05:04 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,665,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary56 View Post
My husband has been in Raleigh since Sept. due to job transfer and my 9 yr. old & are are still in Ft. Laud trying to sell the house - with no luck so far. Since he's been there, we're finding out more about the area. Is it true you pay a tax on your car every year and also your dogs? I like the family-oriented area picture I'm getting, but I wonder if I'm expecting too much. I hear the schools are so crowded that the kids don't stay at the same one - is this true? I'm beginning to think maybe not selling the house is some kind of sign that we're not supposed to move! Any comments are appreciated. Thanks.
Never heard of tax on your dog.....the car tax isn't bad.

And the school issue is being sorted out. Remember what you get in the news is the very worst...or the most disgruntled with good propganda skills.

The area is not perfect.....keep your eyes open, but really....it's not bad here.....we had a chance to move...and didn't even really consider it.

Old 05-24-2007, 05:34 PM

217 posts, read 800,011 times
You have to license you pet yearly ($7 for spayed/neutured or $14 for fertile) But you need to do that most places.

Old 05-24-2007, 05:57 PM

125 posts, read 530,076 times
We're having a real dilemma with our property taxes in Florida... if people move from their home now, they will most likely get a huge increase on their property taxes, because the tax breaks only work in the home you are currently in. That could be why not much is selling at the moment.

Old 05-24-2007, 06:31 PM

203 posts, read 162,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
Remember what you get in the news is the very worst...or the most disgruntled with good propganda skills.
You have an excellent point on this. News is always that way. Even the weather channel does the worst case scenario now. Given that, WRAL news is still much better than what I got back in Massachusetts. At least WRAL adds in some good stuff and they keep you up to date on new "good" things coming.

As with anywhere, there are better and worse areas around here. You really need to be here for a year or two, to get a real good idea of where you want to be. There is no place I would rather be than here.

Old 05-25-2007, 05:41 AM

178 posts, read 1,227,349 times
"You have to license you pet yearly ($7 for spayed/neutured or $14 for fertile) But you need to do that most places."

I've lived in the area eight years, got both of my dogs from the local SPCA adoption center and use a local vet. Not once have I ever heard of this requirement.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:57 AM

59 posts, read 268,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prius109 View Post
We're having a real dilemma with our property taxes in Florida... if people move from their home now, they will most likely get a huge increase on their property taxes, because the tax breaks only work in the home you are currently in. That could be why not much is selling at the moment.
Propety taxes and insurance are what is forcing me out of Florida. I can afford to pruchase a nice home, but the property taxes and insurance (if you can get it) double your house payment. I'll miss living near the gulf more than I can express but, I want to own a home and have a comfortable life. More importantly, I want that for my children. NC here I come!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary