Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2007, 04:40 AM

120 posts, read 758,417 times

Advertisements

We'll be relocating to the Raleigh/Durham area so my husband can commute from RDU. He won't be driving every day, so the commute time is not that much of an issue. What I'm looking for is a community that offers a mix of residential living and retail. I dislike having to use my car for every errand. If I need a gallon of milk or want to go have lunch with a friend, I'd like to be able to hop on my bike and go.

I've been reading forum postings for about a week now, but haven't run across this type of discussion yet. If it's out there, I hope someone will enlighten me. Otherwise, I'd love to hear some of your thoughts.

I've got a son who will be entering third grade in the fall, so of course schools are an issue, but I don't believe that test scores tell the whole story. And I also don't necessarily believe that new is better. Frankly, my husband and I both prefer older, established neighborhoods that have character.

I'm looking forward to hearing what you have to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 05:58 AM

648 posts, read 2,980,012 times
There are many many homes within biking distance of the North Hills area. The shopping area is on Six Forks, just north of I-440. A pricer option is living close to the Glenwood South area, just west of downtown Raleigh. I am a bike commuter who may be moving to Raleigh soon, and these are the areas I'm interested in. Like you I really don't like new neighborhoods.

Some others on here might be able to give you ideas on Durham, Chapel Hill and Cary areas that would not require a car. I'm pretty sure that if you live within a few miles of UNC-Chapel Hill, you would be happy with the options within biking distance.

Old 05-24-2007, 06:13 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
IMO, the North Hills area cooper mentions is fantastic. Housing options are mostly from the 60's and 70's but the lots are big, with mature trees and landscaping. The nearby North Hills shopping center is beautiful and walkable.

And there are areas in Cary, particularly around the High House Road and Cary Parkway area, between Maynard Road and Davis Drive. Arlington Ridge, Parkway PUD neighborhoods, MacArthur Park, Preston Forest, Preston Oaks, Whitebridge, Riggsbee Farms, Weatherstone, Glenkirk, The Battery, Wood Hollow, Hampstead Park, Highland Oaks, Coles Creek offer a variety of new and older homes and price points.

Any of those have options that will let you walk or bike to stores and restaurants. And Bond Park is central to the area with recreational opportunities.

Yesterday Meredith Woods came up in discussion.
//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...s-raleigh.html

This is a really great area just outside the I-440 Beltline in West Raleigh. It and several nearby neighborhoods would also be walkable and bikeable(Is that a word?).

Old 05-24-2007, 06:37 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,961,074 times
In Chapel Hill, many of the neighborhoods off of Estes and Elliot roads near Franklin streets are within walking distance of Wellspring Grocery. The nicer part of Carrboro is also close to Weaver Street Market and a Harris Teeter. Both areas have plenty of restauraunts, with Carrboro having more of the local restauraunts and the Elliot Rd area having more chain. Chapel Hill also has the advantage of a excellent, free bus system, so even if you are a little out of walking range from where you want to go, you can take the bus.

In Durham, the area around Duke's East Campus has what you are looking for, with the eastern part close to ninth street and the western part closer to downtown and Brightleaf. There's a wellspring grocery and tons of restauraunts in the area.

Commute to RDU will be closest from Durham, then chapel hill, then Carrboro.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
IMO, the North Hills area cooper mentions is fantastic. Housing options are mostly from the 60's and 70's but the lots are big, with mature trees and landscaping. The nearby North Hills shopping center is beautiful and walkable.

And there are areas in Cary, particularly around the High House Road and Cary Parkway area, between Maynard Road and Davis Drive. Arlington Ridge, Parkway PUD neighborhoods, MacArthur Park, Preston Forest, Preston Oaks, Whitebridge, Riggsbee Farms, Weatherstone, Glenkirk, The Battery, Wood Hollow, Hampstead Park, Highland Oaks, Coles Creek offer a variety of new and older homes and price points.

Any of those have options that will let you walk or bike to stores and restaurants. And Bond Park is central to the area with recreational opportunities.

Yesterday Meredith Woods came up in discussion.
//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...s-raleigh.html

This is a really great area just outside the I-440 Beltline in West Raleigh. It and several nearby neighborhoods would also be walkable and bikeable(Is that a word?).
Two more favorites I forgot to mention:
Stoneybrook Estates and Farmington Woods in Central Cary.
Ridgewood Shopping Center area, Wade Avenue and Ridge Road.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:15 AM

161 posts, read 602,101 times
You would love the older neighborhoods near downtown Raleigh and near N.C. State University in West Raleigh. There is a big new hardware store just north of downtown at Seaboard Station, and a grocery is coming soon. Cameron Village, near N.C. State has two grocery stores and many other stores. There are lots of restaurants and shops and banks in these areas, and of course all the city, county and state offices. I am also a bike rider and get everywhere on my bike. I only start my car about once a week, to carry people or heavy things, or to leave town. The schools are good, too. Some of these neighborhoods have lots of kids, others not so many.

Look into Oakwood, Mordecai, Boylan Heights, Glenwood-Brooklyn, Five Points, Cameron Park, Cameron Village, University Park, Forest Hills. You would find many kindred spirits in any of these neighborhoods!

The older neighborhoods in Durham are also very bicycle-friendly with many shops and restaurants and offices nearby, and you would also find many like-minded folks. Look into Trinity Park, Watts-Hillandale, Old West Durham, Duke Park, and if you're a little adventurous, Old North Durham, Walltown, and Morehead Hill.

On the busier streets in either Raleigh or Durham you will sometimes have to ride on the sidewalk, but I find this not to be a problem. The police don't mind, probably because they realize that it keeps you and everybody else safer. It's easy and a lot of fun to ride in the old parts of Raleigh, and the car drivers really are considerate, so long as you are considerate of them.

Welcome!

Old 05-24-2007, 08:29 AM

648 posts, read 2,980,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by askmisterbrown View Post
...On the busier streets in either Raleigh or Durham you will sometimes have to ride on the sidewalk, but I find this not to be a problem. The police don't mind, probably because they realize that it keeps you and everybody else safer.
Riding on the sidewalk is illegal and teaches drivers that cyclists should be on the sidewalk. People leaving shopping centers, driveways, and office parks are more likely not to see you since they don't look for traffic on the sidewalks. Please don't ride on the sidewalk. If you feel unsafe riding on a particular street, you should find an alternate route.

Raleigh, Durham and Cary have bike route maps that are great for giving suggested routes for bicycle travel. When I see a new house come on the market in my price range, I check the Raleigh map to see how it suggests I get to work from that house. Then I use MapQuest, put in the address, and it finds schools, restaurants and groceries nearby.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmisterbrown View Post
You would love the older neighborhoods near downtown Raleigh and near N.C. State University in West Raleigh. There is a big new hardware store just north of downtown at Seaboard Station, and a grocery is coming soon. Cameron Village, near N.C. State has two grocery stores and many other stores. There are lots of restaurants and shops and banks in these areas, and of course all the city, county and state offices. I am also a bike rider and get everywhere on my bike. I only start my car about once a week, to carry people or heavy things, or to leave town. The schools are good, too. Some of these neighborhoods have lots of kids, others not so many.

Look into Oakwood, Mordecai, Boylan Heights, Glenwood-Brooklyn, Five Points, Cameron Park, Cameron Village, University Park, Forest Hills. You would find many kindred spirits in any of these neighborhoods!

The older neighborhoods in Durham are also very bicycle-friendly with many shops and restaurants and offices nearby, and you would also find many like-minded folks. Look into Trinity Park, Watts-Hillandale, Old West Durham, Duke Park, and if you're a little adventurous, Old North Durham, Walltown, and Morehead Hill.

On the busier streets in either Raleigh or Durham you will sometimes have to ride on the sidewalk, but I find this not to be a problem. The police don't mind, probably because they realize that it keeps you and everybody else safer. It's easy and a lot of fun to ride in the old parts of Raleigh, and the car drivers really are considerate, so long as you are considerate of them.

Welcome!
Cameron Village... Oh, Yes. How could I forget...
Good job, Mr. Brown.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperwx View Post
Riding on the sidewalk is illegal and teaches drivers that cyclists should be on the sidewalk. People leaving shopping centers, driveways, and office parks are more likely not to see you since they don't look for traffic on the sidewalks. Please don't ride on the sidewalk. If you feel unsafe riding on a particular street, you should find an alternate route.

Raleigh, Durham and Cary have bike route maps that are great for giving suggested routes for bicycle travel. When I see a new house come on the market in my price range, I check the Raleigh map to see how it suggests I get to work from that house. Then I use MapQuest, put in the address, and it finds schools, restaurants and groceries nearby.

Legality of riding on the sidewalk is a local standard. It is legal in Cary.

Old 05-25-2007, 06:09 AM

120 posts, read 758,417 times
Default Thanks fellow bike riders

Thanks to all of you who ride your bikes and of course to everyone else who took the time to respond to my post. I'm thrilled about the idea of moving to the area. Such friendly folks! And while I'm not against driving, I just really enjoy a chance to get a little bit of activity into my daily life. We all spend so much time at our computer screens...

I can't wait to visit Durham and Raleigh on a house hunting trip. I'm afraid I won't want to leave! I think we've decided to being our housing searches in the older neighborhoods near the universities. I've found a real estate agent in Durham, but if anyone has a suggestion for who specializes in more urban areas in Raleigh, I'd love to hear it. I fell in love with a house I saw online in Trinity Park (I hope I remembered the name correctly - it's still early here). There's just something about older homes that appeals to me. I'm going to spend some time online this weekend making use of all the great information you've provided and look some more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary