Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2007, 06:18 PM

91 posts, read 454,593 times

Advertisements

Hi. I hope you all can help me. I visited Clayton last year but was not able to make the move. It was always in the back of my mind. I am coming down in June to look for work and a possible house. I was wondering if it is family friendly and if anyone could tell me about the gifted and talented public school there. Also, is it hard to find work in the education and construction fields?
I guess any information would be helpful.

Thank you all so much. I truly appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2007, 05:26 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,327,844 times
For the elementary kids in Johnston County it's the AIG center,(in SMithfield) they go there once a week and their home school for 4 days. If you go on Johnston county's school web site it has a link to it so you can do some research. It has neat classes, like animating, renaissance, lego-robot making, creative writing of all types, and history of all types, music so on and so on. Very well run. The regular school's offer music (strings starting in 3rd and recorder in 4th grade)
As for the bigger kids, I'm not sure I've not gotten there yet.

Old 05-25-2007, 05:32 AM

850 posts, read 3,621,079 times
We live in Clayton and love it. I know where the AIG center is but that's about it. Clayton is very family friendly! Not sure about finding work, it depends. There are MANY new schools planned right now....a few elementarys, a middle school and a couple new high schools. So there'd be teaching opportunities. The district does need help in other areas as well. My next door neighbor took a part time job working in the cafeteria at one of the schools. She's been promoted and is making about 3 times more than min wage now and is getting benefits (considered full time now). Plus she's off when her kids are off.

And as you can imagine construction around here is booming but not sure about the hiring stats.

What areas did you like in Clayton? Unfortunately, you'll probably notice an increase in housing prices.

Good luck on your trip and shout out if you have any questions.
Lauren

Old 05-25-2007, 06:18 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,971,801 times
My daughter is also in AIG, but she takes the program at the school.

She was in Wake county from Kindergarten to 2nd grade, taking 3rd grade in Johnston County. BIG DIFFERENCE. She struggled from Kindergarten to 2nd, barely making the grades. In 3rd grade, she's on the honor roll & on principal list. She's also reading on a 6th grade level. They really challenged each child individually. They took her biggest weakness (reading) and helped her elevate it to her own personal success. Believe me. After a month, she was reading books past her own age group. My mouth dropped! This was a kid who last year, could barely read Dr Seuss. Reading has always been her worst, Math has always been her best. They even helped her excel more in Math skills too. Overall, I've been so impressed with Johnston county.

Lots of older homes out here too!
Next door to West Clayton elementary is "Ellington". Gorgeus neighborhood.

I'll be out this weekend taking pics, I will post more on here when finished.

Old 05-25-2007, 06:38 AM

Thank you. I can not wait to see them. I have looked at Riverwood, Flowers Plantation and they seemed nice. Also, everyone that I spoke with is so friendly I can not believe it.

Old 05-25-2007, 06:41 AM

My Son is 6 and reads at a 3rd grade level now. He also is advanced in Math. His current school is not really doing anything for him. It seems like this is exactly what he needs. Thank you for your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary