Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 09:42 PM

13 posts, read 25,429 times

Advertisements

My daughter struggles in school. She has been diagnosed with ADD and is currently being pulled out for writing, math and reading. She has repeated one grade. She is in 4th grade and we want to begin looking toward what experience will be best for her high school career. I would like to see my daughter go to a technical/trade high school. She is not a troublemaker and I don't want to see her go to a school primarily for behaviorally/emotionally disturbed students. She simply needs to make it through school and have a skill she can feel proud of. I don't want her to go to a school with the best testing scores- I want the school with the best special ed teachers who believe in their students. Do you have any suggestions for schools of this nature in Wake County?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 09:51 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,102,359 times
you're looking for a high school for a 4th grader?

Old 01-18-2010, 12:32 AM

192 posts, read 617,734 times
didnt you already post this same thread back in November??

Old 01-18-2010, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey86 View Post
didnt you already post this same thread back in November??
Thanks for remembering me, but no I asked about Franklin Academy a couple of months back.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
you're looking for a high school for a 4th grader?
Good questions. If we need to move out of the area to get my daughter into a school that suites her needs we'd rather do it now, instead of waiting.

So are there any tech/trade high schools in Wake County?

Old 01-18-2010, 07:55 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,687,840 times
You might want to look at Southeast Raleigh HS Center for Leadership and Technology.
School Directory: Southeast Raleigh High

You are correct, once you narrow down a list of potential HS programs, you can work backwards and identify neighborhoods that bus to those schools.

Check this out...Conn Elementary school has an active learning program School Directory: Conn Elementary

Lots more info at Wake County Public School System Magnet Programs

Old 01-18-2010, 08:49 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,440,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onehappylady1 View Post
My daughter struggles in school. She has been diagnosed with ADD and is currently being pulled out for writing, math and reading. She has repeated one grade. She is in 4th grade and we want to begin looking toward what experience will be best for her high school career. I would like to see my daughter go to a technical/trade high school. She is not a troublemaker and I don't want to see her go to a school primarily for behaviorally/emotionally disturbed students. She simply needs to make it through school and have a skill she can feel proud of. I don't want her to go to a school with the best testing scores- I want the school with the best special ed teachers who believe in their students. Do you have any suggestions for schools of this nature in Wake County?
I wonder what she (your daughter) wants?

Old 01-18-2010, 09:44 AM

1,106 posts, read 3,532,920 times
The school will not have the same special ed teachers by the time she gets to high school. That is a long way away. Focus on now and not 5-9 years from now.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:56 AM

997 posts, read 4,644,137 times
Since she is only in 4th grade I would focus on what she needs now. High school is five years away and a lot could change by then. Have you tried a tutor? This would keep her where she is without having to move. Private School if you can afford it? I'm not a big fan of Wake schools for any child so I wouldn't rely on them solely to help your daughter. Really, start with a tutor. Much easier than moving all over Wake only to find you're in the same situtation.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:33 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,868,725 times
I know you asked about HS and you want the best for your child within the scope of her abilities, but as the mom of 2 girls, a 6th grader and an adult child, let me say that while it's great you are considering HS options for your child, you have to get her thru middle school. I'd be more focused on that at this point in time as these are the toughest yrs., and getting her the tutoring or help she needs for NOW, not HS.

I'm sure you know this but it bears remembering that Middle School is the foundation for high school just as elementary is for MS. And for girls, with the emotional/hormonal changes they go thru in MS, she will need the most help, understanding, and support to make it thru MS. And, 5th grade is no cake walk either!

Mom to mom - this is not a judgement of you, but honestly, your post comes across as though you've given up on her (academically). There has to be more to it than ADD? There are many people who experience learning difficulties but later achieve more than was ever expected of them. Read up on Byron Pitts, the newsman, he's a wonderful example. A former colleague of mine has a child with learning difficulties AND ADD, she is about to graduate college.

ADD doesn't mean a child can't achieve academic success. It just requires so much more work from the child and parents, as well as their support team. If she's not prepared for MS, then which HS she goes to is irrelevent.

Who diagnosed her with ADD, a doc or teacher? You know that Wake Co PSS has probably thousands of kids with this (it's greatly overdiagnosed), they can help you come up with a plan for your child. But, you still have to lead the charge. Your original question should be posed to your school support team...yrs from now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary