Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 06:13 PM

164 posts, read 426,601 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone has any input on where to find some unique rentals in Downtown Raleigh. Personal experience, opinions, thoughts, ideas.. are all welcome! I keep a firm eye on Craigslist and have done some riding around, but just trying to see what else is out there. Looking for something in the $800 range. One or two bedroom, 1000 sq ft. Is this obtainable? I live in Brier Creek and am looking for more.. stimulation I guess you would say. :-) Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 06:16 AM

6,824 posts, read 9,059,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAtlantaTransplant View Post
Just wondering if anyone has any input on where to find some unique rentals in Downtown Raleigh. Personal experience, opinions, thoughts, ideas.. are all welcome! I keep a firm eye on Craigslist and have done some riding around, but just trying to see what else is out there. Looking for something in the $800 range. One or two bedroom, 1000 sq ft. Is this obtainable? I live in Brier Creek and am looking for more.. stimulation I guess you would say. :-) Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Maybe you could define "unique". The Brier Creek area is actually a good location to live if you want easy access to Chapel Hill, Durham AND downtown Raleigh. I know that the big shopping mall isn't that attractive but I'd argue there is more "stimulation" in this area than you might think. We are 5 minutes to Umstead Park, and across the street from a large bookstore where people get together for meetings and discussions.

With that said, if there is one area in downtown Raleigh I would pick, it would be the Cameron Village neighborhood. It has a nice, walkable shopping center, a great library and a Harris Teeter. I'm thinking about buying a rental property down there for investment purposes if I can find something that's a good value.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:33 AM

376 posts, read 1,062,518 times
Cameron village area, glenwood south, downtown highrises (many new really nice ones... Lots of young professionals downtown). Main drawbacks to downtown living are lack of retail and convenience stores (grocery especially).

Old 01-20-2010, 08:48 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,670 times
I live in Glenwood South, and think you will be hard pressed to find a 2 br for $800 that is in good shape. A 1br will be more realistic, although it will not be a "luxury" apartment with granite counters, etc. There is always the off chance that you find a really good bargain on a 2br, but I would expect to be looking at a 1br, which you should be able to find without too much of a problem.

Craigslist is a good place to look. You'll want to narrow your search to the Glenwood South, Cameron Village, Boylan Heights, Historic Oakwood, and Mordecai neighborhoods to weed out some of the other postings that have "downtown Raleigh" as a keyword in the post but aren't located there. Other keywords you might want to try is "Moore Square" or "Fayetteville Street".

A friend of mine lives in a small 1br right next to Cameron Village. I don't know what she pays, but the location is good (walk to Harris Teeter). These are leased by York Properties I believe. There are also several other reasonable apartments in that area, such as the Raleigh Apartments. Some of the older ones may not have all the modern amenities, like w/d or dishwasher.

The Cottages on Grant have some lower priced 2br "cottage style" apartments, but I am not sure of the exact rates. I have a friend who lives there, and her apartment is older and kind of drafty in the winter. These are also not really walking distance to downtown, since they are on the north side of Wade off of Oberlin. However, they are pretty much walking distance to Cameron Village.

Another thing you may want to try is driving around and looking for "For Rent" signs in the neighborhoods you're interested in. This is how I found my apartment. It seems as though the really nice places don't need much advertisement, and sometimes they are not advertised online or in the newspaper, but just with a sign out front. The main thing I can say from experience is to be persistent, check craigslist every day, drive around whenever you get the chance. Also, don't forget to check the newspaper classifieds.

There are several 1br rentals on N Boylan just north of Peace Street. I don't know if any are available, but they are all in older houses or duplexes, and I think they are in your price range. I don't know what the interior condition may be like, though. It can be hit or miss.

Another poster on this forum also mentioned HotPads - Map Search for Real Estate, Apartments & Houses for Rent, Foreclosures and Homes for Sale, and it seems to be a pretty useful site for rentals.

Good luck!

Old 01-20-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
I live in Glenwood South, and think you will be hard pressed to find a 2 br for $800 that is in good shape. A 1br will be more realistic, although it will not be a "luxury" apartment with granite counters, etc. There is always the off chance that you find a really good bargain on a 2br, but I would expect to be looking at a 1br, which you should be able to find without too much of a problem.

Craigslist is a good place to look. You'll want to narrow your search to the Glenwood South, Cameron Village, Boylan Heights, Historic Oakwood, and Mordecai neighborhoods to weed out some of the other postings that have "downtown Raleigh" as a keyword in the post but aren't located there. Other keywords you might want to try is "Moore Square" or "Fayetteville Street".

A friend of mine lives in a small 1br right next to Cameron Village. I don't know what she pays, but the location is good (walk to Harris Teeter). These are leased by York Properties I believe. There are also several other reasonable apartments in that area, such as the Raleigh Apartments. Some of the older ones may not have all the modern amenities, like w/d or dishwasher.

The Cottages on Grant have some lower priced 2br "cottage style" apartments, but I am not sure of the exact rates. I have a friend who lives there, and her apartment is older and kind of drafty in the winter. These are also not really walking distance to downtown, since they are on the north side of Wade off of Oberlin. However, they are pretty much walking distance to Cameron Village.

Another thing you may want to try is driving around and looking for "For Rent" signs in the neighborhoods you're interested in. This is how I found my apartment. It seems as though the really nice places don't need much advertisement, and sometimes they are not advertised online or in the newspaper, but just with a sign out front. The main thing I can say from experience is to be persistent, check craigslist every day, drive around whenever you get the chance. Also, don't forget to check the newspaper classifieds.

There are several 1br rentals on N Boylan just north of Peace Street. I don't know if any are available, but they are all in older houses or duplexes, and I think they are in your price range. I don't know what the interior condition may be like, though. It can be hit or miss.

Another poster on this forum also mentioned HotPads - Map Search for Real Estate, Apartments & Houses for Rent, Foreclosures and Homes for Sale, and it seems to be a pretty useful site for rentals.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info! I haven't thought of the keywords Moore's Square and Fayetteville Street! [[checks craigslist]]

Old 01-20-2010, 11:21 AM

621 posts, read 2,218,840 times
I'm renting a 2 bdrm in the Cameron Village area and it isn't that much more expensive than your budget... I thought it would be an issue to get use to the smaller sqft (1000), but the location alone will more than outweigh living in the burbs. I've seen CL postings for 1 bdrms for around $700 in CV, so your budget is still very reasonable.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:18 PM

Does anyone have any info on Carlton Place? Although a little close to Chavis Heights it's only 2 blocks from Moore's Square and there is a Police sub station right there. Brand new construction for real reasonable rates.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:43 PM

.. is bumping allowed?

Old 01-24-2010, 06:11 AM

1,357 posts, read 4,028,326 times
Carlton Place has income restrictions. I'm almost positive you can google it to see what they are, because I remember thinking they looked awesome, and quickly realized I wouldn't qualify (but don't recall telephoning or visiting them). I'd ride around the Cameron Village area and check out for rent signs in the townhome/condo areas.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowk09 View Post
Carlton Place has income restrictions. I'm almost positive you can google it to see what they are, because I remember thinking they looked awesome, and quickly realized I wouldn't qualify (but don't recall telephoning or visiting them). I'd ride around the Cameron Village area and check out for rent signs in the townhome/condo areas.
Yeah I finally camce across some info on Carlton Place. No go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary