Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 08:40 PM

123 posts, read 485,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
Okay...how do you think they are dangerous? What do yo think your kids are going to do?

At most, you can always unplug it (some have plugs under the sink....others you have to have disconnected).
^I agree....don't see how it could be anymore dangerous than using a hairdryer in a bathroom. I mean, be careful, and...don't turn it on while your hand is stuck down there......other than that I don't see much risk!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2007, 08:41 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,209,808 times
I worry that a fork or something will get stuck and someone will try to dislodge it-or someone might bump the switch when someone else is using the sink.

Those things just make me nervous. Rapidly spinning razor sharp blades right near our hands. I already told dh, if our new home has one, he has to remove it.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:42 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,640,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmithgolf2000 View Post
You can have one on a septic, I have one and there is a cartridge you install on it that pumps an enzyme down to the septic which helps break down the food. Now I am still carefull about what I put down there but I do use it. You do have to replace the cartridge about every 4 months.
We had one in our house in NH for 30 years, on septic, and never had a problem. (We did end up installing a new septic before we put the house on the market, but a septic system doesn't last much beyond 25 years or so anyway). I didn't know about the cartridge with the enzyme pump. We're on septic now, and I do miss the disposal. I'd love to have one again.

Does the trash smell? You bet. No matter how well you wrap it. We even got maggots in it one time last year in the heat, what with flies being attracted to it and all. There's really no way to prevent the flies from getting into the trash bin, either.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:43 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,642,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderintonc View Post
I worry that a fork or something will get stuck and someone will try to dislodge it-or someone might bump the switch when someone else is using the sink.

Those things just make me nervous. Rapidly spinning razor sharp blades right near our hands. I already told dh, if our new home has one, he has to remove it.
If the switch gets bumped, though in decades I've never had it happen, it's not impossible I guess.....really....how often do you have your hand down the drain.....quite a ways down the drain.

Do youself a favor if you might ever resell....unhook it if you dont' want it....don't take it out.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOltmans View Post
^I agree....don't see how it could be anymore dangerous than using a hairdryer in a bathroom. I mean, be careful, and...don't turn it on while your hand is stuck down there......other than that I don't see much risk!
This is a a new one on me. I actually went to my kitchen to see if I could up with a way to do what some of these folks fear.....I can't get my hand down the sink.....while I can reach the switch....any small child not old enough to know better couldn't.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:51 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,377,546 times
I worry that they'll stick their hand down there. Or put something down there that breaks the unit. I have no experience whatsoever with them so I'm only going by what I've heard about them.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:52 PM

548 posts, read 2,642,433 times
OH OH OH!! Pick me for this!! I had this "issue" too, and there is another disposal option (which we've had installed)! The switch disposal is NOT the only one. You can get a disposal whichworks like this:

you have to put the drain plug into the hole there, and in order for the disposal to work, you have to turn it (there is no switch involved. You block the hole with this heavy piece that goes right into that hole, and twist it til it "catches", whcih is what turns it on). SO...it cannot be turned on until/unless the sink hole is totally covered. No possibility of any appendage being down there when it turns on. As an added bonus, nothing squirts up out of the disposal when you turn it on b/c again, it is totally blocked. It is a bit more expensive than the switch kind, but not too bad, and the safety issue was worth it for us.

I have no idea why more people don't use this kind. Actually the contractor who did our kitchen told us there was no such thing. We'd had one in antoher house, so we knew there was, and found it ourselves. He loved it and has since had one put in his own house

Old 05-25-2007, 08:54 PM

548 posts, read 2,642,433 times
btw, though unlikely, it IS possible with the switch kind to have an accident. My husband's mother was getting something out of the disposal when we were there and said "don't turn it on my hand's down here." Her mother, who is hard of hearing, only heard "turn it on" and did. Luckily she pulled her hand out and only had a couple of small cuts, but it was pretty scary! (I realize this isn't a likely scenario,but I just didn't like the possibility of a child's hand getting caught there somehow)

Old 05-25-2007, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdatlas View Post
I worry that they'll stick their hand down there. Or put something down there that breaks the unit. I have no experience whatsoever with them so I'm only going by what I've heard about them.
What have you heard? I must be missing some great stories. lol!

I tried to look up garbage disposal injuries...couldn't find any that weren't part of sit-coms or tv commercials.

I am sure that there are some that do happen...but you've got a bigger risk getting out of bed in the morning.

You do know that they come with rubber 'flanges' that keep most things from falling in...as well as a stopper if you a really are worried about it right? It's not an open hole with knives ready to reach out and pull you in.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaimounaKande View Post
btw, though unlikely, it IS possible with the switch kind to have an accident. My husband's mother was getting something out of the disposal when we were there and said "don't turn it on my hand's down here." Her mother, who is hard of hearing, only heard "turn it on" and did. Luckily she pulled her hand out and only had a couple of small cuts, but it was pretty scary! (I realize this isn't a likely scenario,but I just didn't like the possibility of a child's hand getting caught there somehow)
LOL...that isn't an acciedent...lol.....that is someone misunderstanding a request!! Edited to say that I am glad that your MIL was okay!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary