Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 11:12 PM

22 posts, read 45,720 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about ticks. Do you only get them in wooded areas, the city. Where?:confused
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2007, 06:52 AM

548 posts, read 2,648,322 times
We pulled one off our son last night (it had already dug in and was a deer tick, not a dog tick). Also my daughter showed me the "great find" she had in her bug catcher. It was another deer tick (which easily could have crawled out of the bug catcher wires!). This is in Chapel Hill, residential but fairly wooded area.

Old 05-20-2007, 07:02 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,967,597 times
I pulled one off my dog last weekend, but I don't know what kind of tick it was. Creeped me out. I was walking her near woods, which I won't do again!

Old 05-20-2007, 07:34 AM

265 posts, read 1,292,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaimounaKande View Post
We pulled one off our son last night (it had already dug in and was a deer tick, not a dog tick). Also my daughter showed me the "great find" she had in her bug catcher. It was another deer tick (which easily could have crawled out of the bug catcher wires!). This is in Chapel Hill, residential but fairly wooded area.
I hope you had/have him checked for Lyme Disease, which is carried by those little f*ckers! Lyme Disease can be extremely debillitating (and often unidentified as the cause) if left untreated. The same applies to animals--or at least dogs--as well. There are a number of tick/flea preventatives for dogs on the market, like Frontline. The key is to use it consistently and to very carefully apply to that spot between their shoulder bones, which is about the one place they can't reach to lick. Good luck!!

Old 05-20-2007, 08:03 AM

548 posts, read 2,648,322 times
I know...we've saved the tick, and will have to have him tested. This only happened Friday night. My mother had Lyme Disease (caught early)...our dog was not the culprit here (we always treat her w/that stuff--and our cat too). He just picked it up out in the yard (as did my daughter w/the one in the bug catcher). They are everywhere!

Old 05-20-2007, 08:16 AM

265 posts, read 1,292,755 times
Oh good that you're following up...my dog was diagnosed this spring, due to the unseasonably warm winter in the northeast, and my lapse in anti-flea/tick repellant. I hear that the treatment is the same (dioxycillin), which takes absolutely forever to complete! Hope your mom is okay--sounds like it since it was an early catch--hope my dog will be okay too (she needs to get rechecked this summer, but caught very early and asymptomatic).

Old 05-20-2007, 09:05 AM

36 posts, read 144,559 times
Default tick locations

I actually completed my thesis on ticks and Lyme disease. I can tell you that ticks can be found anywhere...even if you have .1 acres. If there's grass, they'll be there. They also tend to be stirred up and found in more numbers if new construction is happpening around. When the little buggers think that they're in danger, they multiply at a even faster rate. A misconception is that they are carried only by deer. Also, Lyme disease can be transmitted by mosquitoes as well as ticks and some doctors are now starting to believe that it can also be sexually transmitted. Let me know if you have any more questitons. The biggest myth is that you have to find a bullseye rash...only 11% of people infected get this.

Old 05-20-2007, 09:34 AM

233 posts, read 860,773 times
We live in a very heavily wooded subdivision, and have 8 cats and a dog... I don't know that I've ever found a tick on the dog, she is 5. We do put flea & tick preventative on them. But we still find, especially on the long haired cats, that even if they haven't dug in, they do still travel on them, and right into the house. We found one last night in the soft fur on the tummy of one of my kittys, it was just hanging out in the fur. I think there needs to be a flea & tick preventative for people! I don't know which ones they are, but atleast twice a year, I will find where a teeny tiny smaller than a pin-head sized one has latched on to me. Just give me the creeps after I find one of those. I do work outside in my garden and flower beds alot, so I shouldn't be surprised. Never have gotten more than just an irritated and itchy red blotch from them though. All the cats get extra "love" at this time of year while we check them over as we can get ahold of them.

Old 05-20-2007, 11:14 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,758,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassy View Post
I think there needs to be a flea & tick preventative for people!
In 3rd grade in Eastern NC I had a teacher who was supposedly highly allergic to fleas. To be honest, I don't remember what "highly allergic" meant in this case. But she had 2 dogs that she loved. This was the 70s... years before Frontline. Pets were treated w/ powders and shampoos and such.

Well, this woman wore flea collars around her ankles to prevent ticks and fleas from crawling up her legs. I know this because she wore them to school. In the spring she would wear 2 flea collars on each ankle!

She was a hoot in so many ways. I realize how crazy this sounds and thus makes me sound crazy too. I just wish I had a photo!

BTW, check with your doctor before you go putting flea collars on your ankles.

Old 05-20-2007, 11:24 AM

842 posts, read 3,230,176 times
Has anyone noticed a trend that the tick population seems to be exploding? 10 years ago, I had never even seen a tick, and I grew up in wooded areas all my life. Then about 5 years ago, I'd encounter one or two a season. Lately, I see them almost every time I go outside. Just yesterday, I walked into a slightly wooded area for like 2 minutes, and I looked down and saw 3 ticks crawling on my shoes already, and crawling quickly towards my legs.

What does everyone else think? Are there more ticks now, or am I just noticing them more often now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary