Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 09:40 AM

66 posts, read 263,199 times

Advertisements

80 in a 65 on I540 is reckless? Wow, I better avoid it from now on. With half the cars on it driving at least that speed, it's sure to turn into a demolition derby any day now.

And, some people would consider anyone who thinks you can't safely drive a motor vehicle at 80MPH on an interstate highway to be stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalnc View Post
I'm disturbed by the number of people that say "ignore the people that tell you to slow down". Is it really becoming so acceptable to speed? And I agree with the comment that 15 mph over the limit is indeed reckless. I would be too embarrassed by my own stupid behavior to get online and ask advice on how to dodge the punishment. Bottom line, you broke the law (twice), and got caught (twice). Own it. Face the music and consider it a lesson learned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 09:51 AM

477 posts, read 1,419,209 times
Quote:
And, some people would consider anyone who thinks you can't safely drive a motor vehicle at 80MPH on an interstate highway to be stupid.
Wow. I have a 14 year old that just completed the driving phase of Driver's Ed and a 20 year old whose good friend was killed by a speeding drunk last fall. I really don't think much of your attitude.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:52 AM

Basically everything in your original post is exactly wrong is what I take exception to. I'm an attorney who has handled hundreds of tickets in Wake County. To explain in detail how and why your advice is so incredibly bad would take a while.

But, just for the sake of argument, you say never plea guilty. What is your proposed alternative?
Moderator cut: tos violation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Says someone with no credentials or proof of experience or offer of advice. What do you know of Wake County's legal system regarding speeding? What exactly do you take exception to?

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-25-2010 at 12:17 PM..

Old 01-25-2010, 10:03 AM

450 posts, read 1,553,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalnc View Post
I'm disturbed by the number of people that say "ignore the people that tell you to slow down". Is it really becoming so acceptable to speed? And I agree with the comment that 15 mph over the limit is indeed reckless. I would be too embarrassed by my own stupid behavior to get online and ask advice on how to dodge the punishment. Bottom line, you broke the law (twice), and got caught (twice). Own it. Face the music and consider it a lesson learned.
It has been proven over and over again that:

1. People pay little attention to speed limits and, instead, drive a speed they feel comfortable driving,
2. Driving below the average speed of traffic is much more dangerous than driving above the average speed (the speed the rest of traffic is driving, or the flow of traffic as some call it), and
3. Most speed limits are not set properly.

Combining these facts, you will see that if most people drive at 75mph (which is my experience on most of I-40 around Durham), it is more dangerous to drive 65mph (the speed limit) than to drive 80mph. Driving 5mph over the flow of traffic (or average speed) is much safer than the yahoos I've seen driving 60mph in the middle lane down I-40. These are the people who I've seen almost cause accidents, not the guys going 80mph.

Remember, speed, in and of itself, isn't dangerous. It's all the surrounding variables that determine what speed is safe.

Allow me to quote Speed Limits - Information, Studies, Laws, Legislation

"Q. Isn't slower always safer?
A. No, federal and state studies have consistently shown that the drivers most likely to get into accidents in traffic are those traveling significantly below the average speed. According to an Institute of Transportation Engineers Study, those driving 10 mph slower than the prevailing speed are six times as likely to be involved in an accident. That means that if the average speed on an interstate is 70 mph, the person traveling at 60 mph is far more likely to be involved in an accident than someone going 70 or even 80 mph. "

Old 01-25-2010, 10:13 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,584,421 times
I second the use of a lawyer if you are that concerned about the ticket affecting your insurance. It really depends on your persoanl situation but tickets didn't really increase my insurance that much and when it did I just hopped to a new carrier.

The need the ticket revenue to keep this puppy rolling.

Deputies find a need for speed :: WRAL.com

Old 01-25-2010, 10:22 AM

Are you able to ascertain the difference between "speeding" and "speeding drunk" or do I need to explain that to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizunomom View Post
Wow. I have a 14 year old that just completed the driving phase of Driver's Ed and a 20 year old whose good friend was killed by a speeding drunk last fall. I really don't think much of your attitude.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:28 AM

494 posts, read 1,388,703 times
Quote:
Says someone with no credentials or proof of experience or offer of advice. What do you know of Wake County's legal system regarding speeding? What exactly do you take exception to?
One day I'll tell you about the kangaroo court attorneys(word attorney used losely) that wander around the waiting area,with a list of worst offfenders on the docket for the day telling them they could get them off for 100 bucks.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:30 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,704,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbridgman View Post
Basically everything in your original post is exactly wrong is what I take exception to. I'm an attorney who has handled hundreds of tickets in Wake County. To explain in detail how and why your advice is so incredibly bad would take a while.

But, just for the sake of argument, you say never plea guilty. What is your proposed alternative?

We'll take up the other errors in your post one at a time after we get past this one.

I posted my alternatives - get a lawyer, Moderator cut: tos violation

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-25-2010 at 12:23 PM..

Old 01-25-2010, 10:36 AM

321 posts, read 880,387 times
It has been proven over and over again that:

1. People pay little attention to speed limits and, instead, drive a speed they feel comfortable driving,
2. Driving below the average speed of traffic is much more dangerous than driving above the average speed (the speed the rest of traffic is driving, or the flow of traffic as some call it), and
3. Most speed limits are not set properly.

Ridiculous. Some people will try to justify anything.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:43 AM

Yeah, you said get a lawyer so "The lawyer can take your offense onto themselves so you end up without points or a ticket on your record. That's the local system afaik."

So the lawyer can take the offense onto themselves?????

Quote:
I posted my alternatives - get a lawyer, but not one as bad as you!

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-25-2010 at 12:24 PM.. Reason: not necessary thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary