Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2007, 11:26 PM

51 posts, read 284,115 times

Advertisements

Has anyone lived in both Scottsdale and Raleigh/Cary? Which city is better and why? We like Scottsdale but considering a relo to the Raleigh area in the future
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2007, 04:46 AM

5,740 posts, read 17,590,913 times
Raleigh is definitely better. Scottsdale/Phoenix is flat, no vegetation, brown, and ugly. I've never lived in Scottsdale/Phoenix, but my entire family (2 brothers + their families, 1 sister, mother + step father, aunt, and grandmother) does.

Of course my criteria for choosing a city probably does not match yours.

Old 05-26-2007, 05:00 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,721,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi View Post
Has anyone lived in both Scottsdale and Raleigh/Cary? Which city is better and why? We like Scottsdale but considering a relo to the Raleigh area in the future
I may have answered your question before, but anywho. I lived in Chandler the last two years and have been here in Raleigh/Durham for the last 5 months. I don't live in Cary so I can't speak specifically to it. My viewpoint is from an overall view of the "Triangle". I think it all depends on what you and your family are looking for and what stage in life you're in. Snottsdale is a nice area and from what I've seen of Cary, so is it. What are you looking for specifically, i.e. couture shopping, a house in the foothills or rolling hills? Scottsdale has a lot of nightlife options. I don't think Cary has as much nightlife options as Scottsdale. Scottsdale has mid-rise condos going up left and right; Cary not so much. On the surface and somewhat below, they are two totally different areas with two different groups of people and two different lifestyles.

This area is laid back b/c of the people are somewhat laid back but in the Phoenix metro I think that it's also laid back but in a different way. When you live out there it almost feels like you're on a vacation. Doesn't feel that way here. I don't know if in Cary you'll see as many surgically enhanced women as you do in Scottsdale. There's no 202 to worry about, that's for sure.

Old 05-26-2007, 05:08 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,721,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Scottsdale/Phoenix is flat, no vegetation, brown, and ugly.
While technically it maybe flat, I don't know if you've noticed South Mountain to the south, the mountains just north of central Phoenix and the ranges to the SW of Phoenix around Goodyear, SE Mesa and SE Gilbert and the ranges in East Scottsdale past the 202. It's not called the valley for nothing. It truly is beautiful out there and hiking South Mountain is one of the things I miss about the area. If you get to the very top of South Mountain, on a clear day you can see most of the valley and downtown Phoenix which is cool. Raleigh/Durham is a more green area, has more trees and it has rolling hills. Nothing wrong with the way Phoenix or Raleigh/Durham looks, just different strokes for different folks.

Personally I like flat land b/c I spent most of my young life on flat land in Florida which looks nothing like Phoenix except for the large amounts of palm trees or Raleigh except for some green here and there but not as much greenery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary