Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 09:25 AM

850 posts, read 3,625,805 times

Advertisements

Clayton is in Johnston County so isn't a part of the current Wake county school issues.
Lauren
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2007, 05:33 PM

350 posts, read 1,090,734 times
I am in the very early stages of considering a move to the Raleigh-Durham area d/t a possible job offer in RTP area. Am in early 40s with husband, no kids --so schools not an issue. Would be relocating from upstate NY (Rochester), and am interested in the move for the career opportunity and we are ready to try life in another area. However, although I keep hearing how great the area is for families, what about for an active, middle-aged couple? If we relocate ideally we would want to be in a medium-large city area with lots of non-chain restaurants (especially some ethnic), concerts, museums, occasional sports, with some culture, yet with the opportunty for outdoor activities. I've been all over the US, but have not yet been to the Raleigh-Durham area, but I hear that it's very nice (esp Cary). We are also looking for a place that we can fit in and meet new friends -- am concerned that we will find mainly family-oriented subdivisions? We are also looking for a place that has a culture of forward thinking, culturally aware folks.

Would we find this in this area?

Old 05-26-2007, 06:33 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,385,637 times
Breezy,

It sounds like you should focus on Chapel Hill. It seems to have everything you are looking for.

Jackie

Old 05-26-2007, 07:16 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezy1 View Post
I am in the very early stages of considering a move to the Raleigh-Durham area d/t a possible job offer in RTP area. Am in early 40s with husband, no kids --so schools not an issue. Would be relocating from upstate NY (Rochester), and am interested in the move for the career opportunity and we are ready to try life in another area. However, although I keep hearing how great the area is for families, what about for an active, middle-aged couple? If we relocate ideally we would want to be in a medium-large city area with lots of non-chain restaurants (especially some ethnic), concerts, museums, occasional sports, with some culture, yet with the opportunty for outdoor activities. I've been all over the US, but have not yet been to the Raleigh-Durham area, but I hear that it's very nice (esp Cary). We are also looking for a place that we can fit in and meet new friends -- am concerned that we will find mainly family-oriented subdivisions? We are also looking for a place that has a culture of forward thinking, culturally aware folks.

lake boone trail at ridge road - Google Maps

Oakwood Ave, Raleigh, NC 27601, USA - Google Maps

w park raleigh - Google Maps

Cutler St, Raleigh, NC 27603, USA - Google Maps

Welcome Home!

Old 05-26-2007, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdatlas View Post
Breezy,

It sounds like you should focus on Chapel Hill. It seems to have everything you are looking for.

Jackie
Thanks! How's the commute from Chapel Hill to RTP? Any particular areas in CH?

Old 05-26-2007, 09:17 PM

Thank you for the info. Another person mentioned Chapel Hill -- How do the areas that you are mentioning compare? What about the commute to RTP?

Another thing I'd like to keep in mind is distance/commute to the airport as I would need to travel a bit for work, and my husband and I also like to travel a lot.

Old 05-27-2007, 03:52 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,914,833 times
Quote:

Hi Breezy,

For what you're describing, I would echo the call to look at Chapel Hill, along with Durham, Carrboro, and possibly inside-the-I440-beltline Raleigh.

CH/Carrboro/Durham are all very close to RTP (within a 15-20 minute drive from most parts) and are outside the heavy 'commuting' patterns (i.e., no stop-and-go rush hours). Together the area is home to Duke University and UNC-Chapel Hill, so you have tons of cultural activities, museums, festivals, art galleries, etc. Durham and CH are also home to two restaurants on Gourmet Magazine's top-50 list nationally (Lantern and Magnolia Grill) and a third (Piedmont) that was just named among the top new US restaurants by Conde Nast. These towns have more in the way of urban neighborhoods with walkable streets, older historic homes, walkable shopping districts, along with newer subdivision and in-fill homes.

Raleigh and its suburbs (Cary, Wake Forest, Clayton, Knightdale, Fuquay-Varina, Apex, Holly Springs) tend to be much more suburban in nature, with more developer-built subdivisions and more strip malls/chain businesses. They're great places to live too if that's the kind of area one is looking for, but from what you've described, I'd suggest focusing on the western part of the Triangle. "Inside-the-beltline" Raleigh might be worth a look, though.

Good luck!

Old 05-27-2007, 05:42 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Thank you for the info. Another person mentioned Chapel Hill -- How do the areas that you are mentioning compare? What about the commute to RTP?

Another thing I'd like to keep in mind is distance/commute to the airport as I would need to travel a bit for work, and my husband and I also like to travel a lot.
For the commute to RTP, the Ridge Road area would be the best of the Raleigh options. Easy access to Wade Avenue, and to I40. Peak driving time trips can be ponderous.
For travel from RDU, outside rush hour, any location mentioned in this thread would be just fine.

Chapel Hill compared to ITB Raleigh?
You are blessed with excellent opportunities and choices, IMO.
Try them each on for size and see what suits you.

Raleigh has a "bigger" feel, higher population with the seats of state and county government, and more universities and colleges. It is still just a big small town.
Chapel Hill has a much stronger university influence as UNC dominates, for better or worse, depending on your outlook.
There is broad diversity in both cities.

Old 05-27-2007, 05:54 AM
nc?

1 posts, read 4,207 times
I have heard Clayton mentioned a few times…any more information would be helpful. We would be relocating from PA with 5 children in the school system HS, MS and elementary. Thank you

Old 05-27-2007, 06:04 AM

460 posts, read 2,422,001 times
As a couple without children I think to say any one town is a better fit than another is just strange. Everything in the triangle is nearby for you to go to Durham or Chapel Hill or pop inside the beltline to go to a nice restaurant.
I have always lived in a nice development without kids and never had an issue. Ok so your not having any sponge bob square pants themed parties so what. You can live wherever you want. The hardest part of moving back to the triangle after being gone near 14 years is figuring out which house I want. Everything is so nice, go out and look.
nc? what part of PA are you escaping from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary