Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 12:15 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,124,746 times

Advertisements

Yeah, what's wrong with us Bubbas and honorary Bubbas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 12:17 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,075,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdaClaire View Post

And on the other hand, I don't want my child to grow up in this artificial, sterile, "safe" suburban area with no roots in the "real" world beyond. I don't want some bored, angsty, skateboarding brat with a sense of entitlement and an overinflated sense of his or her own problems who thinks that the world begins and ends with their zip code. I want them to step outside their little bubble to have a wide variety of life experiences. I want them to open their minds.
Ugh. You just described about 95% of the kids in my town here in MA.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:36 PM

693 posts, read 2,757,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdaClaire View Post
It's a fine balancing act. As a mother, I do want my child to live in an environment that fosters growth, stability and well-being. I also want my child to have other children nearby- socialization is important. So, despite my aesthetic ideals, I have found myself checking out "family" neighborhoods because, like it or not, it's where other children can be found. There's not a single baby or toddler in my neighborhood right now, and that's an issue. I don't think it makes me "family obsessed" to take my role as a mother seriously. Too many people in my generation were raised by people who were too busy going out and "finding themselves" to pay much attention to their kids, and the result is that there are a lot of screwed up Gen X'ers running around with attachment issues.

And on the other hand, I don't want my child to grow up in this artificial, sterile, "safe" suburban area with no roots in the "real" world beyond. I don't want some bored, angsty, skateboarding brat with a sense of entitlement and an overinflated sense of his or her own problems who thinks that the world begins and ends with their zip code. I want them to step outside their little bubble to have a wide variety of life experiences. I want them to open their minds.
It seems almost a contradiction that you want your kids to have a wide variety of life experiences and you want to restrain your family to a closed-in homogeneous cul-de-sac neighborhood where 99.9% of the houses are occupied by white families with 2-5 kids. I don't see any diversity and/or variety of experiences there. How are you planning to "open their minds" living in this kind of environment?

Old 09-12-2007, 12:43 PM

We always lived in apartment complexes with a very balanced ethnic distribution.

The one we're in now is about equally divided between caucasian, African-American, and latino residents.

Good background for the children as I see it.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:48 PM

285 posts, read 1,038,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
Ugh. You just described about 95% of the kids in my town here in MA.
Hee! And about 95% of the kids here...

Quote:
It seems almost a contradiction that you want your kids to have a wide variety of life experiences and you want to restrain your family to a closed-in homogeneous cul-de-sac neighborhood where 99.9% of the houses are occupied by white families with 2-5 kids. I don't see any diversity and/or variety of experiences there. How are you planning to "open their minds" living in this kind of environment?
Wow- you're obviously talking to the wrong person. I live in hippieville, where half of the roads aren't even PAVED, much less cul-de-sac-ish, and our neighborhood is full of artists, potters, professors, chickens, survivalist types, writers, etc. Before this, I lived in an old mill house in Old West Durham in an extremely diverse neighborhood. I have no intention of restraining my family to a "closed-in homogeneous cul-de-sac neighborhood where 99.9% of the houses are occupied by white families with 2-5 kids". Where in the heck did you get that from my post? I simply would like my kids to be around.. other kids. And sadly, most of the other kids are in developments.

I'll probably end up in an older neighborhood in Chapel Hill or Carrboro, like Quarterpath Trace or Colony Woods- or perhaps back to Durham, but in a neighborhood with children.

I'm not sure you really even read my post. If all I wanted was some "cookie-cutter" existence, I wouldn't even mention wanting to strike a balance.

Old 09-12-2007, 01:01 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,650,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncat View Post
I'm curious, what about the people in RDU don't you like?
He’s said that the women here are not in shape and are ugly.

Old 09-12-2007, 01:05 PM

Hmmm, most of the ones around the pool at my apt community don't fit that description.

The leasing agents are quite attractive too.

Guess I'm just a dirty old man, huh?

Old 09-12-2007, 01:20 PM

693 posts, read 2,757,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
LOL. I thought who said that was "BackToFla", no?

Old 09-12-2007, 02:12 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,714,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
Wrong. I didn't say that! Matter of fact, the ones that I'm in contact with are in great shape and are good looking for the most part (8s on average).

Old 09-12-2007, 02:16 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,714,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncat View Post
I'm curious, what about the people in RDU don't you like?
I would say the wholesomeness! I know that sounds weird but I don't see the diversity (non race related) here. And don't give me Durham or Chapel Hill b/c I live in Durham and play in Chapel Hill and there is still a undercurrent of wholesomeness. Nothing wrong with being wholesome, but a truely diverse community has a touch of debauchery, good debauchery thrown in for good measure. It's adds to the overall liveliness. I'm a freaking young, single guy who is used to some debauchery and would like some here for good measure. It's makes for a better overall work/play experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary