Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 11:01 AM

23 posts, read 52,238 times

Advertisements

Many of you were very helpful when my husband and I were figuring out potential neighborhoods in the area to look into. The area we like the most is around Cameron Village/Glenwood South area, but my work would be in downtown Durham near the ballpark.

How ridiculous is the commute from inside the beltline to that area of Durham? I can be flexible about the time I come in and leave, and I'm used to a pretty long commute in DC...

Thanks very much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 11:32 AM

792 posts, read 4,487,480 times
The Raleigh to Durham morning commute won't be too bad, unless you run into an accident, traffic will move the whole way pretty much all morning long. But... the Durham to Raleigh afternoon commute is a bear every day. if you could do it before 4 or after 6:30, that would help. There is a construction project underway to widen I-40 at the bottleneck, hopefully that will help things.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:00 PM

447 posts, read 1,619,371 times
I had that same route a few years ago. Lived in downtown Raleigh and worked in downtown Durham. It was about 35-45 minutes in the morning and 45 minutes to an hour after 4:30.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:15 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,868,030 times
Traffic is pretty good in the am (as mentioned). It's been 2 yrs since I did that route so what i have to say is only going to be a guide until you hear from someone who currently drives it.

I have made it in 1/2 hr ( and less) from Fairview Rd/Wade Ave to the downtown Durham exit. Now I didn't drive it every day, just when my daughter was tracked out (3 wks at a time).

But I did commute from East Ral to Durham for yrs on 40 and sometimes 540. The pattern was pretty consistent, Monday traffic was ok, Tues was the heaviest morning, Friday the worst afternoon - leave before 4:30 then. If it rains, ugh, add another 15mins to compensate for the wrecks that slow down traffic.
At 4pm the traffic did pick up. even at 5pm traffic was heavy but still would move. The lines you see on 40 might be slow until 540 exit and then after that it picked up. It wasn't as bad as it looked.

What was bad was the crazy drivers. Don't know why they didn't equate lines of traffic in front of you stretching for miles, with the fact that you couldn't dart in/out of traffic and get ahead. Folks who drove 70mph on your bumper, rushed to get around you, and then slammed on the brakes when they saw there was nowhere to go!

Know that you can always go on Glenwood Ave/hwy 70, if 40 is backed up. 70 goes into d/town Durham ( the loop).

Old 01-25-2010, 12:22 PM

Wow, Raleighkc, I drove from New Bern Ave Rogers lane area (near Knightdale) and it took me 40-45 in the am, 45-1 hr afternoon if I left at 5pm. You lived in downtown proper...like hargett st and such? Or was it five points area?

Old 01-25-2010, 04:05 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,148,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish76 View Post
Many of you were very helpful when my husband and I were figuring out potential neighborhoods in the area to look into. The area we like the most is around Cameron Village/Glenwood South area, but my work would be in downtown Durham near the ballpark.

How ridiculous is the commute from inside the beltline to that area of Durham? I can be flexible about the time I come in and leave, and I'm used to a pretty long commute in DC...

Thanks very much
If you are flexible on timing, you'll probably think it's okay compared to DC traffic. But, then again, isn't everything okay compared to DC traffic?
As other have said, afternoon traffic is worse than the AM. So, if you can either leave before the rush hour (agree that 4:30 is the very latest time to pass through RTP) or after 6:30 you'll position yourself best. If you are a really early riser, then I'd even suggest a 7AM-4PM work day. With that sort of schedule, you should be able to breeze easily both ways on most days. If you are not an early riser, then a 9:30-6:30 day would also work with traffic. Better yet, if you can end you day as a telecommuter, you'll be just fine.
I am a part time Raleigh resident who really likes living in the Glenwood South/Cameron Village area. I think you'll also like your decision to live there.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:04 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,754,355 times
If you are working in the downtown Durham area, why not live in one of the historic neighborhoods of Durham. Trinity Park etc. It would save you time in the car and safe a bit of car pollution while your at it.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:19 AM

447 posts, read 1,619,371 times
Raleighlass, I lived in Oakwood when I did the commute. I left around 7:30 am.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:07 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,830,881 times
I never miss an opportunity to plug public transit around here but it looks like you might have a commute that transit serves really well.

Express route 650 is scheduled to take 34 minutes in the morning from NCSU (Hillsborough & Gardner St) to Durham Station (right next to American Tobacco) and 40 minutes for the return in the evening.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighkc View Post
Raleighlass, I lived in Oakwood when I did the commute. I left around 7:30 am.
Ok, that makes sense. You are 5-10 mins (morning rush time) from Fairview/Wade where "grandma" lives. I still would have thought your commute would take way less time than mine from Rogers Ln. The advantage of the beltline for me or 540 is that it saves so much time compared to going thru town.

When I first started commuting, everyone said move to N Ral or Cary, it will shorten your commute. I was willing to do that and then started benchmarking different routes (like yours) and found out I was in good shape. the best I could do was save 10-15mins by moving to the areas suggested. For the different in house prices and that fact that I like this area, it didn't make sense.

It looks like the best place to live for a super short commute to Durham is Brier Creek/Leeseville area, Morrisville, or W. Wake Forest near 98 (eliminating I-40), or West Cary in certain areas.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary