Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2010, 12:21 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frrrunkis! View Post
On another note...my beer fridge is empty...I must restock before it's too late.
I've got at least 6 cases of beer in my house. I'm ready
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 12:29 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,871,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshjiv View Post
I am so glad my wife and I bought our house last year in Northern Durham and 2 of our requirements were gas logs and a gas range. Also, our house is heated with gas, so come ice or snow, regardless of amount, no matter how long power goes out, we will stay warm and able to cook real food. Can't ask for much more!
Yes, it's a good idea to have a gas or real fireplace here for those rare instances. I have joined with neighbors and huddled around the one neighbors fireplace when none of us had any heat.
But, I have a question, if you have gas heat, don't you still need electric to drive the blower?

Old 01-28-2010, 12:56 PM

502 posts, read 1,251,830 times
I've only been in NC for three years and so far have just experienced a few snow "storms."

What is the worst case scenario for lost power? One week? Two weeks? I am originally from VT, where most folks have generators.

Have a gas fireplace, but an electric stove. Guess we'll be eating lots of PB&J if we lose power. Or, soup and such warmed up on the grill if it isn't iced over.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:01 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
Good grief I can't find a sled or something similar ANYWHERE in town! SOLD OUT!

I guess we'll just have to do the hillbilly sleds like we used to do during a surprise NC snow storm: cookie sheets and pizza pans.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:01 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I've got at least 6 cases of beer in my house. I'm ready
But what if it lasts longer than Saturday?

Old 01-28-2010, 01:07 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCInMyMind View Post
I've only been in NC for three years and so far have just experienced a few snow "storms."
If you've only been here 3 years, then you have only seen those 2 snowfalls we got last winter, one which even NC folks considered pretty dinky.

Quote:
What is the worst case scenario for lost power? One week? Two weeks?
Not two weeks, heaven forbid! As I recall, the worst ice storm to hit here, in Dec 2002, left many without power for a few days, but I think those who were powerless for a week were a small number, mostly in outlying places. My neighborhood is outside the city limits, and we are often among the last to get restored, but I think it was "only" 2-3 days at most in 2002?? That wasn't nearly as bad as the 6 days after Hurricane Fran! OTOH, at the time, my Internet provider was a small, locally-owned company in Durham, and they actually went out of business due to that power outage.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCInMyMind View Post

What is the worst case scenario for lost power? One week? Two weeks? I am originally from VT, where most folks have generators.

Have a gas fireplace, but an electric stove. Guess we'll be eating lots of PB&J if we lose power. Or, soup and such warmed up on the grill if it isn't iced over.
If it's snow, we are ok. But it's the build up of ice that kills us. How long depends on how many areas are affected. if Progress can access the area and keep up with the work, then it could be hrs or a fews days. If widespread and roads are not in good shape, maybe a week? So many variables. One of the worst examples of no power was not ice but hurricane related. So many transformers went down that we ran out and had to wait for some to be shipped in from other states. My neighborhood had no power for 10 days.
i have seen snow events here where you couldn't access most of Raleigh for a week. But that was when we had 1 snow plow. Not sure how many we have now?? we are way better prepared than we used to be.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:10 PM

460 posts, read 1,274,385 times
During the ice storm of '02(?) I was without power for 6 days...
More snow, less ice please!
Crazy that WRAL and WTVD are so different in their forecasts...hopefully they'll come into 'agreement' the closer the storm gets. I'm pulling for the WRAL forecast!

Old 01-28-2010, 01:11 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times
I just realized if the power goes out I have no heat and that makes all of this suddenly less fun.

Now would be a good time to learn how to use my fireplace (I know...I'm so lame)

Old 01-28-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Good grief I can't find a sled or something similar ANYWHERE in town! SOLD OUT!

I guess we'll just have to do the hillbilly sleds like we used to do during a surprise NC snow storm: cookie sheets and pizza pans.
LOL...you are too funny! I once found sleds at Linens and things. There's one in Knightdale that isn't a very busy store. There's also a Dick's there. It's in 64 at 540.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary