Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2010, 08:36 AM

1 posts, read 2,257 times

Advertisements

I may be moving down to NC to work at Durham Regional Hospital and was wondering about the housing around Duke University/Durham Regional. If someone could also give me information about bus lines, etc. and commute times, I would really appreciate it. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 10:56 AM

797 posts, read 3,579,507 times
What is your definition of affordable? 150K? 300K? That makes a big difference, since what one considers affordable is quite different from the next person!

Old 01-28-2010, 02:05 PM

82 posts, read 241,184 times
Default you should be very careful

in those areas. your best bet really would be to visit the area or if you can't do that, try to find a realtor. a realtor might want you to sign a contract, so i wouldnt go that route unless you know you have a job and know you are definetly moving.

the neighborhood directly across from duke hosp does not have a secure reputation (you can check crime stats, there have been several shootings in/around the area). on erwin road (road in front of duke), about .5 to 1 mile down the road, there are new condos. i dont know what they are like but im thinking they may have interior security...their parking lots seem to be well lit.

as for durham regional, there are neighborhoods on each side of the buildings with very affordable homes....but security could be an issue. depending on where you live, you could find (online) a great deal (compared to where you currently live) on a big house. while you will see a pic of the house, you wont see a pic of the surrounding neighborhood. many neighborhoods in the downtown area are undergoing revitilization....you could find a fantastic home thats been totally renovated, but some, if not many, of the other homes on the block might not be in such great shape. i have seen renovated homes located next to or not far from boarded up homes. some people are ok with this, some people would not be comfortable.

if you are seriously interested in living in or close to durham, you could live in roxboro, timberlake, rougemont/bahama (durham county), or northern durham. most of these locations are a minimum 20 minutes from duke or durham reg. i think at best, you could get bus service from northern durham but they dont run a heavy schedule during the day. for safety reasons, i wouldnt take the bus at night.

good luck!

Old 01-29-2010, 06:52 PM

531 posts, read 1,982,468 times
bus schedules: Durham, NC - City of Medicine (http://data.durhamnc.gov/schedules.cfm - broken link)

You'll probably find bus service to be nearly useless however, especially with nurses' hours. And driving from way far north (Bahama, Roxboro etc.) will take you a long time as Duke/Roxboro St. is not able to handle the traffic which crams it each day. Plus there are stoplights every 500 feet for miles and miles.

To find rental houses in the area: Student Affairs | Community Housing | Find Housing (http://cho.duhs.duke.edu/FH_SearchOptions.php - broken link)

To see criminal activity surrounding any address: Durham Crime Mapper

Old 02-04-2010, 07:18 PM

31 posts, read 236,390 times
What type of housing are you looking for specifically? # bedrooms, rent $$$ range, house/apt?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary