Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 08:03 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,688,749 times

Advertisements

My ex husband lives in a new townhome in Cary and lives there about 50% of the time. He has been thinking of buying a second property to rent to me at cost so that I can more easily relocate. Right now I'm waiting on a job to open up which could be a while.

Personallly I don't really want to get into the business of renting from my ex for reasons i'm sure you can imagine.

So I can approach this discussion from a practical POV, could he buy a decent property (maybe a townhome or small older ranch) rent it to me until I could buy a home of my own, then rent it to others and make a profit?

Or would this be more financial trouble for him than it is worth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 08:27 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Probably too much trouble.

Typically in Raleigh or Cary you make money on rentals that you have held for quite a while, that have appreciated in rental value so they will carry your debt and expenses.

Or, you can pay cash, and calculate your return more simply.

Either way, to be profitable long term, the owner has to have a strong "landlord mindset."
You have to be willing to evict. Coldly. Or you have to have the financial wherewithal to support non-paying or destructive tenants.
It isn't easy money.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:51 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,293,258 times
Last fall we bought a tenant-occupied house to use as a rental. So far it has worked well, but the tenant plans to move this spring. We will soon find out what it's like finding a new tenant or not having the rental income for a few months. Hopefully we won't ever learn what it's like to have a bad renter!

Old 01-31-2010, 10:19 AM

1,106 posts, read 3,533,827 times
When you have a property that you rent you can depreciate it and the things you put in it. Unless I am wrong

Old 01-31-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike052082 View Post
When you have a property that you rent you can depreciate it and the things you put in it. Unless I am wrong
You are right, regarding the property and improvements. Maintenance is not depreciable.
Add a screen porch? Depreciate.
Replace a roof? Expense it.

When you re-sell that property, you have to recapture that depreciation for capital gains tax purposes.

Landlording for profit requires a lot of considerations.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:59 AM

MikeJ, thanks, as always, for the words of wisdom. He always fancied himself as a real estate wheeler-dealer, but he really doesn't have the time. I'm sure he could evict...as a CEO he has had to learn to fire people.

But in the end I'm sure the 'bottom line' will be the deciding factor.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:05 PM

MikeJ, thanks, as always, for the words of wisdom. He always fancied himself as a real estate wheeler-dealer, but he really doesn't have the time. I'm sure he could evict...as a CEO he has had to learn to fire people.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post

Sue,
I don't mean to be entirely negative on it.
It is just that it takes a lot of study and commitment.

Great cash flow generally comes from low end units, and that IS generally demanding of time and attention.

Old 01-31-2010, 04:48 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
It's not easy being a landlord, especially when trying to find good tenants.

If he goes through it, I can't recommend this group highly enough: TAA (the Triangle Apartment Association).

As part of your membership, you'll be able to purchase inexpensive rental forms that have been reviewed by a lawyer who specializes in housing/tenant laws.

You also have an opportunity to obtain background checks at a reduced rate. You get a simple "grade" back on the tenant that states the probability that the tenant will pay and pay on time.

The association also provides regular seminars and a magazine. Members include owners of single rental units as well as large apartment complexes.

Old 01-31-2010, 04:52 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,129,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
I'm sure he could evict...as a CEO he has had to learn to fire people.
It's easier most times to fire someone than evict someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary