Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 12:37 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,041,166 times

Advertisements

AGREED! I don't see what the difficulty is!

I have a van and I'm not a tall person...but I can manage to stand on a step stool or a bucket turned upside down to clean the roof off. A push broom comes in handy for this.

It takes a little longer in the morning to clean the car off but it's common courtesy and I like knowing that I'm not the jerk on the road that was too lazy to do it!

When I was in western NY I was driving in the right lane and ahead of me was a long conversion van in the center lane. The entire sheet of ice/snow that he was too lazy to clean off slid off the roof and came down on my car. It scared the living crud out of me AND did dent the hood of my car and cause some deep scratches to the paint as well as chip my windshield. I managed to pull to the side of the road pretty quickly, as a large slab of ice was still obstructing my view...luckily I was in the right lane!

We didn't have the money at the time to pull the dents but I had to get the paint touched up to avoid rusting (common up there because of all the salt used on the roads) and get the windshield fixed.

I really try to stay WAY back when I see someone's car full of snow/ice...especially on a day like today when it's sunny. Sometimes it's not possible.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:41 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,952,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownEastB View Post
If I had a dime for every time a big chunk of snow blew off a vehicle and hit my windshield, subsequently blocking my view and startling the heck out of me, I'd have $5.20. More or less.

And nope, I wasn't tailgating if anyone's wondering. As Clever User Name already said, it can fly quite a way! It's the law to clear off your vehicles in some states for a good reason.
I call BS. I was driving about 7 carlengths behind someone at 70 mph this morning, and their entire roof unloaded. Hit the pavement well in front of my car. If this is a consistent problem for you, you are clearly driving too close to other cars. Especially considering the roads, even the interstates, are still going to have the occasional icy patches at night and in the am.

Slow down, back off and quit whining.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:47 PM

335 posts, read 799,120 times
toot68, my post had a little bit of hyperbole, but you also need to understand that I've been driving in snowy conditions for almost 25 years now, and yes, it is possible to have snow/ice fly off and hit your car even when you're not tailgating. I'm glad it didn't happen to you today, but just because you dodged that particular bullet doesn't mean that everyone who gets hit was driving recklessly. Assume much?

Old 02-01-2010, 12:47 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,146,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
I call BS. I was driving about 7 carlengths behind someone at 70 mph this morning, and their entire roof unloaded. Hit the pavement well in front of my car. If this is a consistent problem for you, you are clearly driving too close to other cars. Especially considering the roads, even the interstates, are still going to have the occasional icy patches at night and in the am.

and if i'm passing in an adjacent lane or if i'm going the opposite way on a two-lane road..........?

Mike

Old 02-01-2010, 12:54 PM

335 posts, read 799,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
and if i'm passing in an adjacent lane or if i'm going the opposite way on a two-lane road..........?

Mike
Exactly. Sometimes it's happened when people were passing *me* because I was driving more slowly than they were. How 'bout them apples, toot?

Old 02-01-2010, 12:55 PM

355 posts, read 956,738 times
Quote:

In statistics, we refer to this as a sample size of one. Keep following people with snow on their cars to collect some more data points. Then report back to us.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:29 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,952,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post

Mike
It is of no consequence, as the snow is going to land behind the car, not to the side of it.

Seriously, have you people never driven in a rainstorm? Water spray from semitrucks is much more of a visual hazard than snow blowing off car roofs.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:32 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,571,271 times
Quote:
It is of no consequence, as the snow is going to land behind the car, not to the side of it.

Seriously, have you people never driven in a rainstorm? Water spray from semitrucks is much more of a visual hazard than snow blowing off car roofs.
There are numerous people telling you this is a hazard. It's a hazard.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:42 PM

355 posts, read 956,738 times
Quote:

Water is a liquid. Ice is a solid. It makes a difference.

Are you from Key West? Is this your first snowfall? I'm just baffled that you've never seen this happen before.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:59 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,146,223 times
Quote:

not if it's going around a corner. and i'm more concerned with the damage to my vehicle. i can handle the hazard.

Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary