Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 12:21 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
How does someone with no kids even take a survey on how the school system is serving its students? Really the only ones qualified are teachers, parents, and (possibly) students.
I believe this survey was limited to parents of current students - an ID number was required to participate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 12:28 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
If I have a 3 year old that is not yet in school, you better bet I will want a say on how the school system functions, especially moving into the future.
Well you having a kid by definition makes you a parent...see my post

Old 02-03-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I believe this survey was limited to parents of current students - an ID number was required to participate.
OK that makes sense, I was distracted by all this 72% talk.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:44 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,448,803 times
Quote:
Yes private schools do it for the money, but because they want that money, they do a GREAT job of educating your child.

I'm not trying to stir the pot, but if you actually believe that public scholls educate every child for the sake of the community then you are dead wrong. The upper management of the school system could care less about the kids. It's all about making a good salary for doing nothing and sucking more money from the county, whether they need it or not. They are not running LEAN in central services. Again public schools do not care about your kids. They care about the perception they're doing a good job and getting the right test scores. They could care less whether or not your child is prepared for the "real world".
I'd be interested in reading what you have to back up this assertion. Please provide us with the evidence you used to reach your conclusion, especially the parts highlighted in red.

And as to your first point about private schools, they do not have to do a great job of educating children. They have to do what their customers want. Often those two are not the same thing.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:49 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,962,783 times
Quote:
Yes private schools do it for the money, but because they want that money, they do a GREAT job of educating your child.

I'm not trying to stir the pot, but if you actually believe that public scholls educate every child for the sake of the community then you are dead wrong. The upper management of the school system could care less about the kids. It's all about making a good salary for doing nothing and sucking more money from the county, whether they need it or not. They are not running LEAN in central services. Again public schools do not care about your kids. They care about the perception they're doing a good job and getting the right test scores. They could care less whether or not your child is prepared for the "real world".
There are a few great private schools and alot of mediocre ones. The one thing they all have in common is they select for a group of students which tend to do very well in school (ie kids of people with enough money to send their kids to private school, with a smattering of lower income but highly motivated parents).

Old 02-03-2010, 12:54 PM

What would be nice is if you could get a refund of your school taxes if you a) sent your kids to private school or b) didn't have kids but say donated the amount to a charity that helped pay for lower income kids to go to private school.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:54 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Because many people that don't have kids pay taxes to run the school system. If I have a 3 year old that is not yet in school, you better bet I will want a say on how the school system functions, especially moving into the future. Even if I didn't have a child, I have the right to voice my opinion on how I want my money spent.
Plus, you could be a teacher in the school, meaning a HIGH interest in the matter, but not have children so not get a vote (or do teachers get to vote, too?) And, then there are those who put their children in private schools because of the old system, who might switch back to public if there were a more satisfactory way (to them) of doing things. Those kids are "potential WCPSS kids" just as 3-4 year olds who aren't in school yet.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:58 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
What would be nice is if you could get a refund of your school taxes if you a) sent your kids to private school or b) didn't have kids but say donated the amount to a charity that helped pay for lower income kids to go to private school.
But that would just take even MORE money out of the school system, causing conditions to deteriorate even more, eventually leading to more kids leaving for private school (especially with a reduced financial burden to do so), = even MORE vouchers, and ultimately more and more tax hikes to make up the difference, on the backs of those with kids in the school or those who didn't wish to donate to the "designated charity".

Old 02-03-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
But that would just take even MORE money out of the school system, causing conditions to deteriorate even more, eventually leading to more kids leaving for private school (especially with a reduced financial burden to do so), = even MORE vouchers, and ultimately more and more tax hikes to make up the difference, on the backs of those with kids in the school or those who didn't wish to donate to the "designated charity".
But doing the opposite (giving more money) doesn't improve scores, at some point you have to realize you're just throwing good money after bad. Something like 50% of all kids don't even graduate these days anyway. I read an article that states are dumbing down exit exams to award diplomas anyway, and some have lowered the "passing" score to just 40% correct.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Plus, you could be a teacher in the school, meaning a HIGH interest in the matter, but not have children so not get a vote (or do teachers get to vote, too?) And, then there are those who put their children in private schools because of the old system, who might switch back to public if there were a more satisfactory way (to them) of doing things. Those kids are "potential WCPSS kids" just as 3-4 year olds who aren't in school yet.
Again all those bullet items are covered in my original post when I stated:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup
Really the only ones qualified are teachers, parents, and (possibly) students.
Do I need to define what a teacher or a parent is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary