Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 08:33 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,159,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
I keep reading how Raleigh and other Triangle cities are "slow paced."

What does that mean to you? I'm not sure. I grew up in western NY, and the pace is the same.

I know we're not NYC, but what else defines "slow paced"?

Is it traffic?

As far as everyday life, it seems everyone thinks their lives are fast-paced because no one ever has enough time to get everything done.

What else, in your opinion, defines that term as it relates to the Triangle?

(Whoops! I meant "Triangle," not "Triangel." Long day. )
i AM often much later to work...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 01:17 PM

494 posts, read 1,388,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
I keep reading how Raleigh and other Triangle cities are "slow paced."

What does that mean to you? I'm not sure. I grew up in western NY, and the pace is the same.

I know we're not NYC, but what else defines "slow paced"?

Is it traffic?

As far as everyday life, it seems everyone thinks their lives are fast-paced because no one ever has enough time to get everything done.

What else, in your opinion, defines that term as it relates to the Triangle?

(Whoops! I meant "Triangle," not "Triangel." Long day. )
I think it means the pervasive attitude of why do today what you can put of for another day.Some may think that is slow.Personally I think it's lazy.Drivers,are far from slow,although not as bad as some describe.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:33 PM

122 posts, read 288,543 times
ok, I'll bite.

basically what samdan said:

I think it means the pervasive attitude of why do today what you can put of for another day.Some may think that is slow.Personally I think it's lazy.Drivers,are far from slow,although not as bad as some describe.

Personally, I think its lazy too. My mom said people move slower in the south because its hot in the summer. What?! Somehow I think its related to work ethic too, like people in their jobs down here do not work like "chop-chop" hurry up and get 'er done. Nobody seems to really give a crap WHEN stuff gets done. JMO.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:02 AM

29 posts, read 92,254 times
It's only pejorative if you consider work to be a high priority.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:26 AM

47 posts, read 97,217 times
I moved here thinking it was the South. Have lived here for several months, and based on everything I've seen - have concluded that the Raleigh area polulation is between 60%-70% relocated New York / Long Island, Boston, Connecticut and New Jersey residents. It's not very slow, it's not overly friendly and it is not the South.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
"The Triangle" isn't really the south any more. Go to places like backwoods NC and SC and you will see the slower pace of life in person.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:50 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Lazy? I see it as time is too important to be rushed, cause whatever has to be done will get done.

Lazy is sitting back doing nothing.

Here we are quite relaxed by not having to hurry up and wait.

When we wait a few extra minutes in line while Bob and Don at the hardware get "caught up" with happenings, or the examiner at the DMV excuses herself in the middle of my license application to say to an old friend, we are rather impress that folks can take the time to be social and check in with friends--at least outside of Raleigh that has been our experience.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:32 AM

223 posts, read 566,703 times
I think slow paced is a lifestyle choice. You can be busy witha jam packed calendar here as well as in NY or MA or CA. It's all in what you choose to do. I must admit though, that people are more easy going here compared to Boston area. They do chat with you in the neighborhood and in the checkout lines. Don't always see that other places in my opinion.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:39 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAPonyGirl View Post
Personally, I think its lazy too. My mom said people move slower in the south because its hot in the summer. What?! Somehow I think its related to work ethic too, like people in their jobs down here do not work like "chop-chop" hurry up and get 'er done. Nobody seems to really give a crap WHEN stuff gets done. JMO.
Seriously?? You just labeled an entire region of the country and its population as lazy and lacking a work ethic? Wow. Nice.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:58 AM

8,044 posts, read 10,635,981 times
I think the term "slower-pace" is one of the most overused, most redundant phrases used on the forum when referring to the southern part of the country. Doesn't everyone have the same 24 hours in a day, regardless of where they live? I live in a very small town here in North Carolina, and my life is anything but "slow-paced." I don't find that time moves any "slower" here! If people mean "less-congested", than they have a point. I grew up in the D.C. area, and it is definitely less congested here.

On the other hand, if moving here allows you to make a major lifestyle change such as retire early, or allows your family to go from needing two incomes to just needing one to live on, or you are able to get rid or a two hour work commute, I can see that life would not seem as "hectic" as before. Most of us set the pace of our own lives. A "place" doesn't do it for us.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:26 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
It's also worth noting that life in general has become much more fast-paced for everyone, with our attention spans growing shorter thanks to the Internet, cable TV, and 24-hour updates on the news. Parents are more likely to schedule their kids' activities down to the minute, we now get impatient if a web page takes 5 seconds to load...all of this contributes to a shrinking impatience threshhold and ergo "faster" page of life, even if you didn't change locations.

Obviously the more 'urban" this area becomes, the more "urban mindset" will be here and that includes always being in a hurry, compared to more rural lifestyles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary