Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 08:37 AM

1,062 posts, read 2,251,771 times

Advertisements

This is just my opinion, but I feel living in the Raleigh area is a BIG upgrade in terms of quality of life compared to Miami and South Florida in general. Yes, Palm Beach has a different feel than Miami. Raleigh though has a very different feel than both Palm Beach and Miami. It just feels much more relaxed, civilized, and people in general are much more educated and well mannered than South Florida. I live in Miami full time but I spend nearly 2 months in Raleigh every summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 08:50 AM

83 posts, read 207,954 times
I'm new to this Forum. I've lived in Raleigh since 2003 and have enjoyed it more every year. Just during that time, options to improve quality of life in Raleigh and the whole area have really evolved. New farmer's markets, ethnic restaurants, the Nasher Museum ...

Old 02-11-2010, 01:27 PM

41 posts, read 223,580 times
Meee toooo!

I'm from this area (grew up in Rocky Mount and went to NC State). I met and married my husband in Charleston, SC while he was in the military (he's from Chicago). As we approached his time to get out we tried to figure out where we wanted to settle. Of course I was bias to Raleigh and didn't want to push it on him. He visited a few times and said it was "ok". Eventually we made the move. After being here for 2 years, just the other day we're driving on I440 and out of the blue my husband goes "you know, I really love this city...it feels like home". My heart just melted! LOL Now he has 2 very close friends who are trying their hardest to move here. Actually, it seems everyone I know is trying to get to Raleigh!

Thanks for the positive post

Old 02-11-2010, 02:16 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by douknownam View Post
I have to admit that after 2 years here (downtown is awesome), I'm starting to love it too... Winter weather stinks in comparison to FL, but not having to worry about home invasions and murders help a lot!
But the 8 months we don't have to deal with swamplike humidity is way worth the 4 months of uber mild winter that we do get here. Plus, it is kinda nice to know that if you're starting to get tired of the winter or summer, you at least have spring flowers and fall colors to look forward to! Well balanced seasons are a big plus to me, but everyone's weather tolerance varies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
This is just my opinion, but I feel living in the Raleigh area is a BIG upgrade in terms of quality of life compared to Miami and South Florida in general. Yes, Palm Beach has a different feel than Miami. Raleigh though has a very different feel than both Palm Beach and Miami. It just feels much more relaxed, civilized, and people in general are much more educated and well mannered than South Florida. I live in Miami full time but I spend nearly 2 months in Raleigh every summer.
Yes, big upgrade for me too! One thing that came as a big surprise to me is that there are a lot more free and affordable things to do here than in Miami. Plus, I can actually live in the downtown area without living in an true urban slum. I still doesn't make sense that Raleigh's downtown seems to be a few years ahead of Miami's, and Miami is how much larger of a metro? Oh yeah, that highly educated, community-involved population...

Yay, Raleigh! In the short time I've been here (3.5 years), I've seen this city evolve in very positive ways, well beyond what I've ever seen in my "world-class-city" hometown.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:26 PM

109 posts, read 343,135 times
We moved here TWENTY years ago this coming July, and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else!

We travel to see friends and family all over the country - from CA to TX to FL to NY to MO to IL to CO to DC to Washington State, and as much as I love to visit all of those places, I have yet to find another place I would rather live!

Old 02-11-2010, 04:51 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
My neighbors immediately upstairs from me in Miami may move to Raleigh within a year due to a job transfer. I'm sending them the comments from the former Miamians as a reference. They have already picked my brain to death and much of what I told them is validated with these posts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary