Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 10:30 AM

131 posts, read 410,578 times

Advertisements

I'm just wondering what an average wage would be in the Raleigh NC area, compared to northern MA (where we currently live).
My husband is a sous chef that works for a national corporation (Aramark, Sodexo, Eurest) and works in colleges/corporate cafeterias making 35k /yr(17/hr). He has a culinary degree, but would prefer not to work in a restaurant. What do you think he would make in Raleigh?
Also, I provide daycare out of my home. Here, the full time rate is about 200/week. What could I expect to make there? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 01:18 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,870,575 times
I think overall you'd find it comparable. But there aren't many of that type of sous chef jobs here. Even hotels and event business is down, so that area isn't doing so great. Due to businesses cutting back or closing down, it might take a while for one of this type to open up. He can search at Indeed.com.

For you, you might make more than that if you are in a higher income area of the triangle such as Cary or N. Raleigh but then your house pmt would be higher and you might not gain? people who move here are surprised by how high our taxes are. You can search other threads for more info on this.

I'd look long and hard before making the move. Good luck!

Old 02-09-2010, 04:11 AM

2,932 posts, read 7,824,312 times
My company gets food catered from Aramark quite regularly, so I'm sure he'll fine opportunities here.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:16 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,601,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ Public View Post
My company gets food catered from Aramark quite regularly, so I'm sure he'll fine opportunities here.
Your company gets food catered from Aramark = This person will find a job here. Just where do the Venn diagrams meet in that logic? Perhaps I've misunderstood your post.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:18 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,870,575 times
A quick ck of Indeed.com shows just 1 job in the triangle in corporate catering/contract dining area. And 1 in a housing facility. The other sous jobs are in fine dining or non contract environments.

The contract co one is the R. David Thomas Ctr (Aramark) at Duke, 5 yrs hi volume experience. http://aramark.taleo.net/careersecti...8&src=JB-11160

The other, not for one of these types of co's but for a senior housing facility, requires 10 yrs mgmt experience. Find Jobs - Chef Jobs in Chapel Hill, North Carolina

You can also ck out Compass Group. They might have something in Charlotte(?).

Old 02-09-2010, 11:30 AM

174 posts, read 407,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Your company gets food catered from Aramark = This person will find a job here. Just where do the Venn diagrams meet in that logic...
That's a hoot, New; but the bigger joke is that apparently that is the type of logic people are using to relocate to this area. I still say that whoever is responsible for getting us the PR that is leading people to think that way has to be the best on the planet in that business...

Old 02-09-2010, 11:36 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *~Kim~* View Post
I'm just wondering what an average wage would be in the Raleigh NC area, compared to northern MA (where we currently live).
There are "wage calculators" on the web where you can compare the average wage from one area to the next, but most are pretty general, and so what you'd really need is something specific to the food industry. However, wages go hand in hand with costs of living; so if Area A has a wage that is 1.2 x the same job in Area B, but the cost of living in A is 1.3 x B, you're actually losing ground going from B to A. The economics are more complicated than your question can answer.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:45 AM

450 posts, read 1,553,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *~Kim~* View Post
My husband is a sous chef that works for a national corporation (Aramark, Sodexo, Eurest) and works in colleges/corporate cafeterias making 35k /yr(17/hr). He has a culinary degree, but would prefer not to work in a restaurant. What do you think he would make in Raleigh?
Also, I provide daycare out of my home. Here, the full time rate is about 200/week. What could I expect to make there? Thanks!
Where would he prefer to work? Does he still want to work in the food business?

Old 02-09-2010, 11:50 AM

131 posts, read 410,578 times
He would like to keep working in corporate cafeterias/colleges. The hours are much better. But if there wasn't anything available, he would certainly go to a restaurant.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:02 PM

151 posts, read 462,753 times
If you want salary info for the North Carolina Campuses in the area, follow this link:

triangle.com | Know

And do a search on "Food Service" for either UNC Chapel Hill or UNCentral. I did a search and it appears that a food service tech earns between 23,000 and 44,000 depending on the position. These are actual salaries of current employees -- NC state law requires that this is public information.

A

Last edited by KFran; 02-09-2010 at 12:03 PM.. Reason: added more info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary