Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 02:01 PM

109 posts, read 343,074 times

Advertisements

We went through the same process of looking at all of the security companies and ended up ordering a system online from the Homesecurity store.
Home Security Store | Home Security Camera | Wireless Security Systems

Very reasonable cost and optional monitoring with no contract.
Easy to install the wireless system and you can custom design it any way you want. They have an excellent customer service dept that you can call with installation questions. I have recommended this to friends who live locally and ones in other states and they have all been pleased.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 12:38 PM

842 posts, read 2,587,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caryguy View Post
The Have alot of complaints against them beside who would want someone to be able to just listen into your house at any time ? They advertise 99 installed but by the time your done it's over $50 a month. I choose a local smaller local alarm company and they did a professional installation American Alarms.

Reviews For CPI Security (North & South Carolina)
Is there any securrity company out there that does not have some cmplaints? Based on what I have been reading and what I have heard from a friend with CPI, it is in their contract to return and remove a chip that makes the system useless once the contract expires and you wish to sever ties from them. Is there a company that does not do this, and if so which one might that be? This is proving more difficlut than I though it would and I am just about at my wits end with all this digging only to come up with some degree of garbage on them all. So with that said, which is the best of all evils?

Old 02-12-2010, 01:26 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,440,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerican View Post
Is there any securrity company out there that does not have some cmplaints? Based on what I have been reading and what I have heard from a friend with CPI, it is in their contract to return and remove a chip that makes the system useless once the contract expires and you wish to sever ties from them. Is there a company that does not do this, and if so which one might that be? This is proving more difficlut than I though it would and I am just about at my wits end with all this digging only to come up with some degree of garbage on them all. So with that said, which is the best of all evils?
DIY, always has always will be!

Old 02-17-2010, 09:02 AM

Default Local company vs. Bigger company

BTW, Diverse Security Systems is a local company in Raleigh. Does anyone here know anything about them? I tried to look for reviews on their company by going to alarmsystemreviews.com and was unable to find anything about them. Is there a similar site out there that gives information about the local companies?

In addition, does anyone know from experience what the pros and cons are of using a small local company vs a larger corporation like say ADT or CPI?

Thanks to you all for your feedback.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:19 AM

355 posts, read 957,891 times
After doing my own search and looking on some of the previous forums, I went with Vector Security. They seemed to be cheaper for both the install and monthly bill than CPI. We have the two way, which they threw in for free. I haven't had to use the system yet (knock on wood) so I can't speak to that side of it. They made a big deal of having their own call/security center, if that matters. I believe that CPI is a more local company (Carolinas anyway) and farms that piece of it out to others.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever User Name View Post
After doing my own search and looking on some of the previous forums, I went with Vector Security. They seemed to be cheaper for both the install and monthly bill than CPI. We have the two way, which they threw in for free. I haven't had to use the system yet (knock on wood) so I can't speak to that side of it. They made a big deal of having their own call/security center, if that matters. I believe that CPI is a more local company (Carolinas anyway) and farms that piece of it out to others.
Will the system be yours to keep and will it work as a standalone should you decide to sever ties with them once the contract expires? Also, do they also lock you into a 3 year contract like the others?

Old 02-17-2010, 12:44 PM

355 posts, read 957,891 times
Quote:
Will the system be yours to keep and will it work as a standalone should you decide to sever ties with them once the contract expires? Also, do they also lock you into a 3 year contract like the others?
The system yes. But, until now, I hadn't considered any issues with a chip, so I don't know if they do anything to deactivate it once the contract expires. And yes, they do require a three year contract, but the contract is portable so they can reinstall at the new address (actual installation could be a separate fee though...good question for you to ask about).

Old 02-17-2010, 02:04 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,759,495 times
My wife and I have had a CPI Security system in our home for about 3.5 years now. I will say that so far, they (and the police in Morrisville) have been responsive. We have set the alarm off a couple of times accidentally and they came on and we gave them our safe word. There is a sound when they come on so I don't see how they could eavesdrop without you knowing. Once, there was a problem with a heat detector we have in the garage and they called my cell number, my father in laws cell number (backup contact) and the police department. He lives nearby and was there in 5 minutes. The cops and FD was there when he got there. They were able to determine immediately that there was no fire. So, the equipment gave a false alarm, but at least the fire guys came.

CPI is based in and has the call center in Charlotte. So, it may not be local to Raleigh per se, but they are not in some far away land either. In reality, as long as the person is responsive and they have the system set up right, it does not matter where the center is anyway as all communication is remote (unless the call center is next door to your house). ALso, they have a local Raleigh area office with management, support staff and techs that are based here.

Now, onto the bad part. They require a 60 month contract. Thats right, 5 years. Our homebuilder had pre-selected them to do the prewire and also as the low voltage contractor for the home. I know I should have read the entire thing, but the sales person swore up and down it was only a 36 month commitment, which is more standard in the industry (though some do not require any contract). My mistake for not having her show it to me in writing, but this was at the time I was adding all my phone/data/surround sound, etc outlets and they act like you are not signing the security contract at that time but you are. On the back of the all the stuff for our selections in mice type, there is a 60 month contract clause there. Imagine my surprise when I called them at month 37 asking to have my rate reduced.

Also, IMO, they were not the greatest low voltage contractor in the world. They talked a good game like they knew what they were doing, but unless you were very savvy, I can easily see things going wrong with your system. Just one example, they advertise an "Audio Video link" setup for wall mounting a TV that does not even have a way to get high def signals to the TV. On their site, they even have their own logo streched out on the TV in the sample. New Construction, Audio/Video Link, Wireless Audio Video, Audio & Video Wiring System | CPI Security So, if you know exactly what is needed, they are OK, otherwise you are stuck. During our selections, the lady had to keep going back to one of the engineers to see whether they could do what we wanted or not. Eventually, the guy just came in for the rest of the session.

Also, my dogs hate the sound of the alarm and now they are running ads all during ACC basketball that has the alarm sounds going off. To keep our dogs from running all over the place and hiding we have to be vigilant with the mute button.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:39 AM

258 posts, read 672,943 times
Quote:

LOL

There is no mysterious Chip.

At worst they will send an installer out to "deactivate" it so to speak.

If the installer is not a complete Butt you may be able to slip him a few dollars and he will leave it in "local" mode. In other words it will work EXACTLY as it did before, but minus the phone call to the monitoring station.

Otherwise in a lot of cases they simply pull the power and shut it down. You are free to plug it back in...disconnect the phone line in the brown box and play away, you can't hurt anything really (or yourself...it's a low voltage system (12v). The equipment is YOURS to Keep!! If they want it, tell them to take it AND repair all the holes in the wall they made installing it. Yeah right, so they just leave the system instead cause its easier, and hopefully the next tenant MIGHT call and activate it.

CPI uses DSC (canada) Equipment. They don't make the box (none of the alarm companies do). Programming worksheets are available online. Flash the panel to default it to "fresh from the box" and program away.

Alarm companies only want ONE THING! The monitoring fee.
Sure they may answer the phone on the two way and make you feel better, but as you read in the reviews here and other sites the actual cops don't show up in 5 minutes cause the kitty knocked over a vase. In a lot of cases when a monitering station calls it in to the local police you are lucky if they show up within the hour

Save your money...get a dog, or a local alarm (just makes noise) and then call 911.

If they could actually put a Blue wall of laser lightening around my house Like you see in the lovely advertising commercials that would fry intruders when they crossed it like in star trex or something then I MIGHT be interested in purchasing a CPI/ADT/etc system.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:25 AM

1 posts, read 4,182 times
Have had CPI for 10 yrs. Installed cuz ex was entering my house with lock picks so changing locks (did 3xs) didnt help. I have hit panic code when he wouldnt leave when he showed up and voice informed us both police were on way. He left immediately I had police protection in 7 minutes. After I remarried 6 yrs ago had alarm disconnected on Friday. That weekend hubby left with 16 yr old that was gonna kill me to set up 2 separate houses till he was old enuff to live on own. I called Monday, explained the situation and had the system reactivated at no charge. After he was able to move back, we have set the fire alarm off twice. Once I was home and was able to let them know all was under control and the other I was not home. Hubby fell asleep cooking and didnt remember password. Fire department was there in 5 minutes. They have also worked with us when I called to have alarm deactivated tryin to save some bucks. After explaining why, we were given a very good discount for 3 months which really did help surprisingly. I live on the Fuquay City limits and so have county protection (sheriffs department) and have never and stress never had any trouble with response time. While I had trouble with ex, they would be at my house when I arrived after call and I lived 10 minutes from work. May I compliment Wake County Sheriff Dept and say they never let me enter house alone and insisted on going thru every room to be sure I was safe. We knew it was ex cuz he always had nice rawhide bones he gave the dogs while he went thru my stuff. CPI was also very responsive (again at no charge) when I switched to digital phone and made the necessary changes to my system. When the battery needed replacing, it was a $5 fee for battery, no service call. The battery needed replaced after 8 yrs....hmmm wish all my batteries were that cheap. All in all, can say very happy with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary