Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2010, 05:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,325 times

Advertisements

Can someone give me some real insight on the Raleigh/Durham area's vision for the Fine Arts? I currently teach high school band band in Metro Atlanta, and I have been teaching for more than 16 years here. But I am considering re-locating near the Raleigh/Durham area to be closer to my daughter. However, I can stay where I am if NC school districts only view the Fine Arts to be disguised baby-sitting services for "Music Appreciation" dumping grounds. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 09:32 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,688,415 times
Hi!
I am also looking for teaching positions in Wake County. I wish I could answer your question.

What I have heard is that although there is county wide curriculum, it is applied in each building by a different principal with different theories and methods, and thus each school varies.

I'm applying for jobs I'm qualified for and I hope to have some of my questions answered if I get an interview. But it sure would be frustrating to spend time and money on a job hunt only to discover that I would not be interested after all (from a professsional point of view).

I'll bet there is a NC Music Educators Association of some kind that might be able to provide you with the detail you need.

Best of luck to you!

Old 02-10-2010, 10:15 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,548,381 times
There is a central district bandmasters association which you might find of value to you. You might be able to contact a band teacher in each of the districts to get a heads up on what/where there might be offerings and decent programs.

Central District Bandmasters Association

In the wake county school system elementary level, there is lots of variety in electives offerings depending on whether or not it is a magnet school. Magnets have more electives and appear to have stronger band offerings. In the middle school, I am not sure if all middles have band or not - but a review of the middle schools in the WCPSS might let you see if band is offered at some or all. It seems that every high school has some sort of band but that may not be true. If you look at the central district band All District band tryout results for 2010, it'll give you a good idea of what high school is sending students to the try outs and which schools are placing their kids in the all-district band and which instrument sections are strong right now. This district is very large, so it gives you a good idea of the bands through central NC.

CDBA All District Scores 2010

Please note: I am a parent of a clarinet player, not a teacher.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:41 AM

744 posts, read 1,262,771 times
I can only speak for Chapel Hill, but musical fine arts is quite strong. At middle and high school, there is not only band but also orchestra. My son plays violin at Smith Middle School.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary