Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2010, 10:55 AM

42 posts, read 93,777 times

Advertisements

All,
We live in CT (originally L.I.) and have a 10yr son with Autism (not High-functioning). Also have a 13yr son entering 9th grade next year (good grades, Football, Band).

Considering moving to the Raleigh area for same reasons most other Northerners have done so (lower cost houses & taxes, better weather).

I work from my house, so job is not an issue.

Would love to get any info from people that have experience on dealing with the Special-Ed dept's in the local schools.

On a related note... since i've noticed that most people don't have their own pool (up here it's betwn 30-50% pool owners), i need to know if there's a problem with the HOA's allowing you to have an Above-Ground-Pool.

I like the idea of a community pool; nice way to meet people. However, my autistic son loves to swim more than anything. In the summer he heads out to the pool by noon, and doesn't come out till dinnertime. then occasionally goes back in in the evening. So i don't mind the additional cost & maintenance, cuz it makes him happy. Not to mention i like being able to walk into the backyard and jump in my own pool, plus when the kids have their friends over, or when we have a party.

thank you,
ed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 11:31 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInCT View Post

Would love to get any info from people that have experience on dealing with the Special-Ed dept's in the local schools
On a related note... since i've noticed that most people don't have their own pool (up here it's betwn 30-50% pool owners), i need to know if there's a problem with the HOA's allowing you to have an Above-Ground-Pool.

thank you,
ed
Some HOA's allow pools; some don't. Just be sure to find out before you buy.

I've seen several posts from people with autistic children - unfortunately, more questions than answers. You might search for those.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:39 AM

932 posts, read 3,096,607 times
My son is 5 and in kindergarten, so I don't have much info regarding the school system. So far, it's been good for us. He has Sensory Processing Disorder and ADHD. We haven't had to use the schools resources beyond his teacher. (We got really lucky and she's well versed in SPD and ADHD.) If your son is in OT, I'd like to suggest Pediatric Therapy Associates. Pediatric Therapy Associates | Making Miracles Happen! We've been going weekly for 2 years and they have been a true God send. I can't say enough good things about Cindy Outman and Judy Garrett from PTA. Good luck with your move!

Old 02-10-2010, 12:24 PM

12 posts, read 31,334 times
I hear Chatham and Orange counties have good special ed services. Wake County is not so good...I had a foster child w/autism and experienced first hand 3 high schools that didn't get the job done.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:27 AM

66 posts, read 129,281 times
Our son is 5 with autism, non verbal. We have had a pretty good experience with Wake County. He started pre school at age 3, and now is at another school for kindergarten. We did have to do some fighting for additional speech services. The teachers he has had have been great.
As for the pool, I grew up with a pool in the backyard, but now we go to a community pool. The pool is great, and you not have the responsibility of taking care of it. Our son also love swimming, and he does very well at the pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary